What do you use to count losses from combat?

• what has math ever done for me?

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@Kreuzfeld:

what has math ever done for me?

Mathematics keeps you fed. :P  Without mathematics, you cannot have agriculture since the farmers won’t know how to count and plant the seeds, you also won’t have economy since no one will know how to count money.

That’s my pro-mathematics comment of the day!

• @Cmdr:

@Kreuzfeld:

Mathematics keeps you fed. :P  Without mathematics, you cannot have agriculture since the farmers won’t know how to count and plant the seeds, you also won’t have economy since no one will know how to count money.

I am actually a mathematician :)

and basically all of modern society is dependent on math to do engineering

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@Kreuzfeld:

@Cmdr:

@Kreuzfeld:

Mathematics keeps you fed. :P  Without mathematics, you cannot have agriculture since the farmers won’t know how to count and plant the seeds, you also won’t have economy since no one will know how to count money.Â

and getting food, and getting water, and making the car go, and making the electricity work, and disposing of the dead bodies, and medicine, and voting, and ….

• @Cmdr:

@Kreuzfeld:

@Cmdr:

@Kreuzfeld:

Mathematics keeps you fed. :P�� � Without mathematics, you cannot have agriculture since the farmers won’t know how to count and plant the seeds, you also won’t have economy since no one will know how to count money.�� �

and getting food, and getting water, and making the car go, and making the electricity work, and disposing of the dead bodies, and medicine, and voting, and ….

So you admit its contributing to the future zombie apocalypse?  We must stop math!  1st we need a mathematician to calculate the best possible strategy to dealing with math.

• Sponsor

To much math in a game = crappy game, for example: Dungeons & Dragons has a lot of math, therefore…. D&D SUCKS!

• '17 '16 Customizer

@Cmdr:

Too much work.  Remove casualties after each throw of the dice but allow the defender to “trade” a hit on one unit for another unit.Â

Isn’t what most folks do? I’ve always just removed the causulties after each throw. Both attacking and defending. On very rare occasions, when there’s like 20-30 units attacking & defending, we’ll use tally marks on the dry-eraser board.

• @Maddog77:

@Cmdr:

Too much work.�  Remove casualties after each throw of the dice but allow the defender to “trade” a hit on one unit for another unit.�Â

Isn’t what most folks do? I’ve always just removed the causulties after each throw. Both attacking and defending. On very rare occasions, when there’s like 20-30 units attacking & defending, we’ll use tally marks on the dry-eraser board.

Yea thats what we do, or a hand count in small battles.  I just created this thread b/c I hate using tally marks.  I don’t know why, don’t understand it myself, but would just rather do something else.

• Sponsor

The counter on my customized table is called an “Abacus”. If you use google images for this device you will see how easy it is to create one for your own games. Just make sure that it is small, perhaps portable, and not a burden to have around the table.

• My brother and I use a lot of dice.

Roll for 1’s. set aside dice that hit.
    Roll for 2’s. set aside dice that hit.
    Roll for 3’s. etc.
    count all the hits after round of battle.
    remove casualties.

We find this method much faster.

• Sponsor

@Gliven:

My brother and I use a lot of dice.

Roll for 1’s. set aside dice that hit.
    Roll for 2’s. set aside dice that hit.
    Roll for 3’s. etc.
    count all the hits after round of battle.
    remove casualties.

We find this method much faster.

That’s a common system and a good one at that. I don’t trust players that say “I’ll count my own casualties in my head”, not that they’re cheating, but that stuff always ends up in arguments after battle rounds, so I end up counting all hits on my counters for my own piece of mind… plus there’s enough to think about during combat rounds without remembering how many times you hit.

• Customizer

We use the FMG Combat Dice so we can roll for both attacker and defender at the same time (we have a LOT of those dice).
    Also, we use a system like Gliven.

• '22 '16

For small battles we just remove pieces as they get hit.  For the large battles we have whoever is not rolling be a hit counter and record the hits using spare dice, and then at the end of the round tally up the hits and remove.  Also I don’t use the IPC track chart.  We just figure it out after your turn.  I didn’t know I was so hardcore.

• I use my fingers.

Right hand - Hits 1 through 5 normal; 6-10 pointing left; 11-15 pointing down; 16-20 pointing right.
    Left hand - Hits 21 through 25 normal; 26-30 pointing right; 31-35 pointing down; 36-40 pointing left.

If it goes beyond 40, start over on the right hand.  Once the hits are known, we just pull that many pieces from the board.  Each land piece has its own color poker chip (except ships, so many ship pieces), so armies get colorful and stand tall.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m