HBG's Global War 1939 FAQ

• Is there a special Canal rule like turkish straights or Suez Canal for Denmark Straight???

• Star of Africa,

There is no canal rule for the Denmark Straight.  I understand that new rules are being discussed, but for now, all nations can move through them.

National China may only attack original Japanese-held territories and the French colonies.  They may not enter any original FEC territory except for HK, so Burma cannot be entered.

Coastal battleships and subs must remain adjacent to a territory containing their original roundels.  So, the Brazilian battleship cannot enter African waters.

A neutral destroyer or transport can move anywhere when controlled by the axis or allies.

And where can an escaped costel battleship move e.g. the norway navy???  The rules are unclear on this.  For our house rules, we state that an escaped coastal battleship moves to the nearest allied port and then becomes fixed in place, as per the Vichy rules.

If the Dutch fleet becomes controlled by the allies, the dutch transport could move ANZAC troops (it could move any allies’ troops).

The last Question about navy, can the finnish destroyer + figter attack the soviet destroyer without declaration of war against soviet union and the soviet destroyer + airplanes the finnish destroyer without being at war with germany.  If the Russians attack Finland, then the Finnish destroyer and fighter can attack the Russian destroyer.  As long as Russia and Germany are not at war, German ships would be ignored.

The first troop you have to build in South Africa and the first 3 troops in India have to be Infantry.  Mechanized infantry do not count.  I believe Commandos are not considered infantry.

Can you build a fortification in India (FEC) with money (IPC´s) from Commonwealth or has India to spent the money.
    The Question includes air- and navelbases.  I would say, no, FEC must spend the money to buy fortications, air bases, and naval bases on FEC territories.  UK can only build units.

You can activate Finland at the first impulse of Blitzkrieg (1.Turn) and move the Finnish troops in the second Impulse of Blitzkrieg.  This applies to Hungary and Romania as well.

The +2 Defense by fortifications in the first round of combat applies only to “foot” infantry.

• Thanks Moose11,

your answers are very logical, but we play Commandos are Infantry like regular Infantry, only with special values :-) for building them in South Afrika or India.

I think, not allowing to build mechanized Infantry in these two countries instead of regular Infantry seems very hard for the UK.

The only open Question is now for me, the role of the Dutch countries and Navy.
    Is there any solution awaiting?

• Sorry for asking again,

but there is an obscurity about East Poland.

There are two different versions in the rules. 1. There is a state of war between russia and Germany if East Poland is under german controll after turn 1 of Germany.
                                                                    2. Or is there also a state of war when Germany occupies East Poland in Turn 2 or later?

In 5.0 Setup Romania gets 4 IPC’s per turn, in the 5.1 rules it collects 6 IPC’!?
    What is correct???

• FEC and South Africa have very limited building capacity.  The intent of the infantry build order is to limit what can be purchased, unless the U.K. builds troops on Calcutta or South Africa as well.  Infantry does not comprise mechanized infantry.

The game creators are attempting to work out the kinks with the Dutch countries.  For a house rule, we state that Holland and the DEI are neutral until a Dutch territory is captured by the axis.  Once this happens, the remaining countries must be activated by the allies, one by one.  If Holland falls, then the neutral rules on page 30 to determine  the new loyalties of each ship must be followed.

We play that if Germany captures East Poland at any time, Russia is automatically at war with Germany.

Romania provides 4 IPCs to Germany’s economy and has an economy of 6 IPCs.

Happy playing!!!

• Thanks again!

• Hi,

I got also an answer to the following question on http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/930111/south-africa-and-india :

Can you build a fortification in India (FEC) with money (IPC´s) from Commonwealth or has India to spent the money.
    The Question includes air- and navelbases.  I would say, no, FEC must spend the money to buy fortications, air bases, and naval bases on FEC territories.  UK can only build units.

The answer there:

UK can spend money to build FEC facilities but still must satisfy the infantry build requirement

Now I am a little bit confused?!

Can anyone give me an Official answer!?

• You can read:

For all Pro-Axis and Pro-
    Allied neutrals, armies
    increase by 1 Infantry
    every 2 turns if not
    activated. These extra
    infantry are placed in the
    capital territories of each
    neutral country.

So the first time at the beginning or end of turn 2 ???

• Page 12 of the rules states, “New facilities can be placed in any friendly territory you have controlled since the beginning of the turn.”  Allied territories are considered friendly territories, therefore the U.K. should be able to purchase facilities and place them on French, ANZAC, Canadian, South African, or FEC territories.  I would also suggest that these can be built on Chinese territories once Japan is at war with the Commonwealth.

Any comments, Variable or Tigerman?

For our house rules, we add infantry to the capital cities of all neutral capital territories, including true neutrals, at the end of turn 2.

• Hi Moose11,

if UK can also build facilities in Chinese territories,
    so the US can build the complete infrastructure of their allied ???

• Once the U.S. is at war with the Axis, yes.  Until they are at war, they are not allied with anyone.

Mark

• '14

You are doing a great job Moose11.  Right now we are working on a version 6.0 of the rules that will have soe big and small changes. We will also be sure to highlight all changes made from 5.1to 6.0.  Thanks for all the input!

• Hi Tigerman,

at what time the 6.0 rules will be finished?
    Any Setup Changes ???

• '14

@Star:

Hi Tigerman,

at what time the 6.0 rules will be finished?
    Any Setup Changes ???

We are hoping to have the 6.0 rules out in about 4 weeks. Yes there will be some setup changes but nothing major.

• Any News ???

• Hi Tigerman,

would be nice to have 6.0 Setup/Rules to Play another game next Weekend! ???

• Dude give him/them some time.

He said AROUND the 20th and I’m sure they have been busy with 1914.

Besides the rules are free, you dont pay for them so don’t rush them to get them out.

• '14

Update on rule revision. We are in playtest mode and hopefully be done in 3 weeks. My regular job has me working 80 hours a week the next 2 weeks so be patient.  We are working on having 6.0 out in 3-4 weeks.  I know that’s a month late but we really want to make sure these rules are solid!

• Thanks Tiger for update and your time.

• “Bump” to follow this thread

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m