• In the tournaments and higher level playing do you guys research at all, or do you just save your money for troops.  If you do research, which one is the best in your opinion.

My friend was trying to convince me that you can use the infantry tokens for other units like fighters.  But, I told him that if you could they wouldn’t have different amounts of units in each army.  I am right, right??

• I can’t speak to higher level games but we don’t usually do reasearching in our games. Now our pool of players is very limited (mostly the 2 of us.) That isn’t to say we don’t do it, I needed to take out Germany and as I had been buying some bombers and could afford the dice I rolled for heavy bombers. Tripling my bombers for a savings. I was also growing impatient. Usually we feel the IPCs are better spent on units.

What INF tokens do you mean? The units on the board are always the units on the board. Your INF can’t become ships. Tech can give units additional abilities or modify exsisting ones but an INF figure or gray chip under an INF figure is always INF. You can’t “trade in” a FTR for 3 INF and one IPC. 3 INF and one IPC can’t be “traded in” for a FTR. Is that what you are asking?

• In tournaments, Larry Harris Tournament rules are often used, which effectively neuters most research by having it come into effect at the END of a turn, rather than the beginning.

You cannot trade in infantry pieces for fighters, even for representational purposes.  The original Axis and Allies, if I remember correctly, limited the number of divisions available to what plastic pieces you had - so if you had two plastic subs, you were limited to two groupings of subs (say one stack of five subs and another of three, but you could NOT get a third grouping of subs).

As far as I know, that limitation is not effective in Revised.

For Out of the Box rules, tech is very useful.  Long Range Aircraft can give you the added punch to take an enemy territory (key are Western US and Russia), or to have the range to reach a friendly territory to help defend (usually Japan flies fighters to Caucasus).  Turn 1 German Sea Lion uses long range aircraft tech to attack London with a transport, six fighters, and a bomber.

Late game, combined bombardment lets you decimate an isolated Japan or Germany.

If you use National Advantages, Heavy Bombers is a cheesy way to win with Allies (US buys bombers that can’t be shot down with Superfortresses NA, and researches Heavy Bomber tech to cripple Germany’s production down by turn 4).

• Most people on this board plays with no techs and as far as I’ve seen its the usual way to play, when playing online.
    Using techs makes for a game where luck and not strategy becomes the more important factor, especially with the OOB rules (Out of box), with the more balanced techs in LHTR it becomes more even (Heavy Bombers takes the lower of two dice instead of two dice with two hits) though the development system still calls for a lucky hand.

Regarding your second question. There is no unit limit.
    Ex. you can buy as many Russian Battleships as you want even though you don’t have any more battleship pieces. You can just find some sort of counter or proxy to represent the piece.

Hope this answer your questions and welcome to AaA

-Daniel Malus

• In the most recent Revised Tournament, the Tournament rules excluded Tech and NA’s.

• What I meant by INF tokens were the gray and red chips that came with the box to symbolize more units, but I didn’t know if you could use those on subs, fighters, etc.

• I avoid chipping navy and air as much as possible, but will do so on occasion.

As to limits for the numbers of available units based on pieces in the box…
    I ordered 2 additional complete sets of pieces.  I doubt now that I will run out.  But the only limitting factor I have ever seen is available IPCs to buy stuff.

I am just glad that I no longer have to “substitute” German INF units on Pacific Islands to allow me to have Japan INF everywhere in Asia, and that I do not have to use pennies, nickels, and dimes to represent 1, 5, and 10 units (though back when I was playing Classic in college, quarters were common in Europe… and quarters for a college student were tough to find!  LOL)

• @jdeischer:

What I meant by INF tokens were the gray and red chips that came with the box to symbolize more units, but I didn’t know if you could use those on subs, fighters, etc.

Those aren’t INF tokens, they are unit tokens, and can be used for any kind of unit.  They are most commonly used for INF, but not limited to INF.

• I sent away for an order form to get more red and grey pieces 8 weeks ago.  Last week I received this big box from Hasbro with an explanation saying since their supplier couldn’t get them the necessary products I was looking for (read: A&AR order form) Hasbro was sending me a game of equal value.  And in the box, they sent me Risk! For free no less.  Getting a new game was cool, but not getting what I “really” needed sucked, and I don’t want to have to buy another A&AR box just to get the chips.

• 2007 AAR League

That’s lame……they could have a least sent you a better game, Risk sucks! You should check out your local game/hobby shop they probably carry the chips you’re looking for.

• I have tried all the gaming shops in my city and htey don’t carry anything like those chips.  I pretty much have to buy a new A&AR box just to get those chips.  That wouldn’t honestly be too bad, actually, since I don’t have enough pieces for the Japs and Germans at times.  And yeah, I too wondered why they would send risk.  I don’t care much for Risk and won’t even bother to open it.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Bear in mind I’ve only played against ID-10-Ts in revised thus far, but it seems:

Super Submarines are actually a viable investment with the US now that they are more flexible in choosing a Pacific campaign or Atlantic campaign.  Without them, sinking the starting Jap fleet can be a real pain in the yoo-hoo, if ya catch m’ meaning.

Also, I’ve enjoyed Destroyer Bombardment.  It’s pretty weak, I’ll grant that.  But it’s nice to take 1 tran, 1 inf, 1 tank and 1 destroyer and take over a 4 IPC island in the Pacific.

I’ve heard rockets are mega more powerful now as well, so they could be really nice for Germany or Russia to get.  I believe it’s a matter of each AA gun can fire a rocket???

• 2007 AAR League

I tried rockets once for Germany, but the rules regarding their use make the investment not worth it.

1. Only 1 AA per territory can fire (regardless of how many you have)
    2. The target IC must be within 3 spaces of the AA
    3. The target IC can only be hit once even if you have multiple AA in different territories within range.
    4. Hits from a rocket attack are not counted separately from a bomber SBR the combined total of both can’t exceed the territories value.

I spent 20 IPC developing rockets which left Germany manpower poor.

• Worst case…

Use coins with 1 cent being 1 unit.

There is one of the players on the boards that does have a link on their site to buy assorted chips.  Can;t rmember who though.

• I thought I remembered seeing the site for extra chips and pieces too or seeing it in one of the online game warehouse websites like Fair Play or Fun Again. Was it a link to an ebay store?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m