Is it possible to win as the allies after sealion?

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

We could always play, or I can sketch it out for you GHR

Thing is, even if Japan decides to switch gears, setting up the Crush India isn’t too much of a problem

• @knp7765:

This may not be typical, but I played a game a while back where Germany did take London but the Allies still won.  In fact, London was never liberated from Germany.  USA came in and managed to take Rome, then liberated Paris and just kept hammering at Germany until they finally broke through.  If I remember right, Germany was having problems in Russia and had lost most of the Luftwaffe in sinking the Royal Navy and taking London.

I don’t remember what was going on with Japan, but apparently the Pacific Allies managed to keep them in check if the US was able to muster enough force to take Rome.

This sounds perfectly plausible.  As long as the Allies can hang on to Honolulu and Sydney, Japan can do whatever it likes in India, China and the Philippines but not get the VCs to win.

Meanwhile time is on the allies side in Europe.  After G3 sea lion, the Germans should be basically turtled in to Berlin and USSR should be all over Eastern Europe.  The direct route from Berlin and Moscow has 5 territories, so if Germany spends its UK windfall on land units round 4 and then starts marching eastward round 5 (and doesn’t suffer any setbacks despite USSR having very large income for several turns), the earliest they can possibly be at Moscow is round 10.

Agreed.  Even without England or France I think if the Axis have not won by round 13, they are most likely going to lose.

• Sponsor

As Germany, I would want Russia to bring the fight towards Berlin, and save me the time and fuel making the trip with my own units.

• I think its only possible if you are able to destroy the german fleet afterwards.  Without that fleet the Russians can take finland and norway and will have a reasonably secore northern flank. If that fleet is still there the Germans can drop in 20 to 26 units in lenningrad and the Russians will be on the defensive.

• What would everyone do with America? just make sure Japan doesn’t win in pacific and then send everything else to atlantic? Something like 70% atlantic 30% pacific?

• I usually spend 70% pacific and 30% altantic as the americans. if london is lost i dont even bother saving them. why waste resources on london when you can attack the mediterranean. once you are in, you can hit either southern france, rome, cairo, or attack the balkans and take the southern flank for the russians. if i know i have an equal or slight advantage on the japanese i usually spend a lil more in the atlantic to support such attacks.

@Young:

As Germany, I would want Russia to bring the fight towards Berlin, and save me the time and fuel making the trip with my own units.

As Russia I would much prefer to trade Poland, Hungary and Romania than Baltic States, E. Poland and Bessarabia.  So maybe it’s a win/win to bring the fight closer to Berlin?  (That’s +18 for Russia, even if it costs me 6 infantry, it’s break even.)

• Yes it happened yesterday took out France, took out England and started the push on Russia on 3 ( U.K. abandoned London)  took London on 3. and on rounds 4-6 I sucked for rolls out of 25 rolls I may of had 2-3 hits same with defense. My Ally in Japan tried something a little different, It didnt work out. Italy was having a tough time too, any way its just a game and next time will be different. I hope its a one on one and multiple boards, because I would have done things different with Japan. Weather or not it would have changed the outcome I dont know. rounds 4, 5, & 6 I rolled more high numbers than I have in a long time. Russia was happy, because it would have been the end of Russia and I belive it would have been game

• Thanks for all the discusion. I lost a game in 5 rounds to a sealion strat. I seriously have a hard time seeing the allies winning at all. I fully expected russia to hold out for a minimum of 3 rounds before getting in trouble, however they crumpled in 2. . . . So I am really starting to doubt Globals feasibility in a game between an experienced player and a not so experienced player.

• Any game you play in which one player is significantly more experienced than the other player isn’t going to be fair. Just because there are dice in this game meaning there is an ellement of luck doesn’t mean that a new player should ever have a chance of beating a very good player. All you can do is play more and get more experience.

• @theROCmonster:

Any game you play in which one player is significantly more experienced than the other player isn’t going to be fair. Just because there are dice in this game meaning there is an ellement of luck doesn’t mean that a new player should ever have a chance of beating a very good player. All you can do is play more and get more experience.

Very true, sometimes i feel the experience factor get left out when people talk tactics etc. Would i be wrong in saying that most people play 1v1 games?? In our group there is always 4+ players, which in my view has a huge influence in games.

• In my oppinion 4 player games make the axis overpowerd. The axis don’t have to coordinate very much, and if Italy and Germany are the same player, not at all. While the allies have to coordinate all their attacks and moves or they stand no chance.

• Customizer

@theROCmonster:

In my oppinion 4 player games make the axis overpowerd. The axis don’t have to coordinate very much, and if Italy and Germany are the same player, not at all. While the allies have to coordinate all their attacks and moves or they stand no chance.

Some truth to that.

FYI, currently losing my Sealion Global game.  First time I’ll be losing after a successful Sealion.

• Really Jim? Bad dice, or did the allies do something that is making you loose?

• Customizer

2 big 97% battles in the first couple turns and I lost both.  And my opponent is capitalizing on these losses for all their worth.

• Sounds like it’s time for a reset, sometimes thats all it takes to get the dice to turn in your favor. Next time it will be different.

We have a partime player who doesnt have good dice or srat’s most of the time and when he gets a win its great to see, especially when a 8 or 10 game win streak gets broken.

• Game must be broken if it takes the allies to win two 97% battles to have the advantage…

@theROCmonster:

Game must be broken if it takes the allies to win two 97% battles to have the advantage…

In my mind, if you say the game is broken, then you are saying that more than 80% of the time one side loses.  That’s why I tend not to use the term broken.

Can the allies win after sea lion?  Yes.  Hell yes even.  The trick is giving the DEI to India so they can reinforce Russia.
    Can the allies win after double sea lion?  Yes, but it’s a lot harder.  You cannot leave anything to chance, engage in battles you are certain to win, and avoid those where the issue is in doubt, grab anything you can to increase your income (hence why I advise the axis to avoid taking anything they dont need) so that your financial power can beat the Axis powers, despite being an ally down.

• TripleA

who hasn’t gotten diced? I can’t tell you how many times I lost germany with above 90% odds to defend it in all versions and same with moscow, but that comes from playing more than a thousand games. Then there are countless times you do the same opener you always do and end up losing half your battles. Or lose your entire fleet with UK twice to 2 subs. 5 naval defending with a destroyer against 2 subs… kept destroyer all the way and still lose. then usa goes to attack it with destroyer 2 bomber fighter… all miss sub hit. uk has a destroyer with carrier 2 fighter cruiser… the same 5 naval earlier… 2 subs kill it all 1 sub survived.

Or 1 fighter attacking carrier 2 fighters and flying off… wow japan out 3 transports. That’s great. even lost carrier first. lol.

I am sure you have all been traumatized by dice. I did most of the traumatizing in the past though. 5 heavy bombers, 5 aa gun hits. ahh… or my 2 heavy bombers guarded by 1 aa gun. 3 bombers come to attack. 3 aa gun hits.  yes traumatic events do occur.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m