• TripleA

Is there going to be another set of rules for Global 1940, or is Alpha3 the final one?

And, just curious, what are your guys’s opinions about this? Do you think they tried to do too much with the 1940 games? (In other words, that the idea of a 1940 setup was too good to be true)

• @mastermind93:

Is there going to be another set of rules for Global 1940, or is Alpha3 the final one?

And, just curious, what are your guys’s opinions about this? Do you think they tried to do too much with the 1940 games? (In other words, that the idea of a 1940 setup was too good to be true)

Well its certainly showing itself… trying to marry the europe and pacific setups into one has shown to have issues… i always thought it needed to have its stand alone setup just for the global and thats what these alpha’s seem to be doing. I think someone should work on a setup that uses AA50 rule set for a simpler game play as a stepping stone to alpha setup.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@mastermind93:

A)  There will be another set of rules.  Larry and Krieghund may not write them, but there WILL BE ANOTHER SET even if the community has to write it themselves to make up for all the new SNAFUs Larry dumped on us at the last minute.

B)  Other than the fact that if you play Low Luck games you have 100% chance to take England and India on or prior to Round 4 and a 99.99% chance to do it in Actual Dice Games (with that 0.01% being the dice totally going sideways on you) I see no problem.

C)  If there is a 1940 Global Enhanced game I’d like to see the following:

1. France more like China
      I.  France collects double for all territories it controls.
      II.  If the French capitol is taken, Germany only collects half the treasury, France retains the other half.
      III.  If Germany captures London, France loses half it’s treasury.  Theme for II and III:  French transfer of funds, men and machines to England at Dunkirk (and other places to include French resistance smuggling.)
      IV.  France may purchase Infantry only if it’s capitol is lost and may place them in any territories they control

2. Russia
      I.  2 Armor added to Amur.  Theme, wth man, why doesn’t Russia have any COMBAT units in or near Siberia?  They did in real life they should in the game too!
      II.  Change to Russian NO:  Russia collects double for any territory in Europe (including Turkey) that they did not originally control.  (Finland is now worth 5 to Russia, not 6.  Ireland is worth 0 to Russia, not 3.)
      III.  Change to Russian NO:  If Russia can draw a clear line of supply from either SZ 127 or SZ 100 to SZ 101 and without running through enemy ships, they get 5 IPC lend-lease.  (A submarine in SZ 92 and a Submarine in SZ 125 will still shut down this NO.  It’s not significantly harder for the Axis to achieve and it will make IL happy that now there is a southern route of resupply for Russia. Win/Win.)

3)  England
    I.  Due to the insanely good chances of England falling before round 4, the following units are added to the initial setup:
    A)  +3 AA Guns, +1 French Fighter to England. (AA Guns have no attack ability, so add nothing to England’s offensive power, likewise, the French fighter is not British, so adds nothing to England’s offensive power while replacing one of the two fighters Larry took away from England.)
    B)  +3 AA Guns, +1 Infantry, + 2 Armor is added to India. (Theme: Holy hell, do you know how much firepowr can rain down on India from Japan?  Wow!  14 Infantry, 2 AA Guns and 3 planes is NOT enough I don’t care how you slice it!)

1. Germany
      I. Afrika Korps:  To make up for increases to Russia and England and France, Germany now gets 3 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 Mechanized Infantry and 1 Armor in Libya.
      II. Submarine Interdiction:  Submarines may now do 1 CRD die roll if in a sea zone adjacent to a convoy zone.
      III.  Wolf Packs:  3 German Submarines acting together (or more) but without any planes or surface ships now attack at 3 (4 with Super Submarines technology.)

5)  Italy
    I. +1 Destroyer in SZ 96 (Theme, stop England from moving ships to Gibraltar or at least make them dedicate more fighters to clearing the road.)

6)  USA
    I.  Continental US National Objective is removed and replaced with 5 IPC for taking either Okinawa or Iwo Jima and 5 IPC for taking Caroline Islands AND Pauline.  Theme:  Propaganda, Island Hoping.
    II.  +1 Destroyer in SZ 101
    III.  +1 Cruiser SZ 35

7)  Australia
    I.  +1 Transort in SZ 63

9)  China
    I.  China may now take Japanese industrial complexes (or any enemy nation’s) and use them as if they were their own to buy any type of unit they so wish.

1. Japan
      I. +1 Armor Manchuria
      II.  Kansu is now a National Objective. (5 IPC)
      III. Siberia, Sakhe, Amur and the Soviet Far East are now a National Objective. (5 IPC)
      IV. French Indo-China, Burma, Malaya and Kwangtung are now a National Objective. (5 IPC)
      V.  India is no longer a National Objective.
      VI. New South Wales is no longer a National Objective.

11)  General Rules
    I. Interceptors to Bombing Runs now defend at 2 regardless of having jet power technology or not.
    II. Bids for sides are restricted to bidding for more or less AA Guns. (Probably won’t get that one.)
    III. Technology Tokens are restored from Anniversary into Global 1940. (If you buy a technology die and don’t get a breakthrough, you can use it again next round and the next, etc until you get a breakthrough, then you lose all your stored up dice.)
    IV.  Germany gets two combat movement and conduct combat phases in round 1.  (ie:  Purchase Units, Combat Movement, Conduct Combat, Combat Movement, Conduct Combat, Non-Combat Movement, Place New Units, Collect Income.)

• TripleA

@Cmdr:

@mastermind93:

C)  If there is a 1940 Global Enhanced game I’d like to see the following:
              ……
              …

I like your suggestions Jennifer, especially your use of French units as defense, since they’re pretty much useless for attacks, as there really isn’t enough of them. I was thinking about using a house rule of standing armies, but French units works well also, as you do not need to make many significant rule changes. The only things I don’t like are the following:

Germany - “Submarines may now do 1 CRD die roll if in a sea zone adjacent to a convoy zone.” - should be normal rules

China - I’d say that if they capture an Axis IC, they should be able to produce artillery (regardless if they control the Burma Road) and fighters (can only have a max of 3-5).

Japan - “Siberia, Sakhe, Amur and the Soviet Far East are now a National Objective. (5 IPC)” - Didn’t the USSR and Japan have a nonagression treaty? Then why would this be a NO?

General Rules - I definitely would like the return of Technology Tokens, though maybe it would be good if they cost 6 or 7 IPCs instead.

• I’m not sure if I like the idea of giving Germany 2 combat phases. Maybe you could let tanks move one space, attack, then move and attack in a second battle? That way you keep consistent with movement rules, yet still give Germany an attack advantage.

Other than that, I think those are great. I think it is better for a long term game also. Great job.

• Sponsor

I predict the future will have 3 different sets of rules for different players.

1. Hard core players and inventors who will eventually take it upon themselves to change the game by creating a more historic, balanced and in the end, complicated rule set.

2. The “once a month” players and purists who will strive to learn Larry’s latest rules to a “T”, and follow them religiously.

3. The newbie players and children who will play the game the best they understand it, which will be completely wrong.

• The Good, the Bad and the Ugly  :-)

• @Cmdr:

1. Russia
      I.  2 Armor added to Amur.  Theme, wth man, why doesn’t Russia have any COMBAT units in or near Siberia?  They did in real life they should in the game too!

i agree Russia needs something there, but 2 or 3 artillery should be enough. (also they cannot run to Moscow extra fast like tanks, so they’ll stay with the inf army, which was their purpose)

II.  Change to Russian NO:  Russia collects double for any territory in Europe (including Turkey) that they did not originally control.  (Finland is now worth 5 to Russia, not 6.  Ireland is worth 0 to Russia, not 3.)

Would be good

3)  England
    B)  +3 AA Guns, +1 Infantry, + 2 Armor is added to India. (Theme: Holy hell, do you know how much firepowr can rain down on India from Japan?  Wow!  14 Infantry, 2 AA Guns and 3 planes is NOT enough I don’t care how you slice it!)

Indeed, a few AA’s against 20+ planes is insane.

1. Germany
      I. Afrika Korps:  To make up for increases to Russia and England and France, Germany now gets 3 Infantry, 1 Artillery, 1 Mechanized Infantry and 1 Armor in Libya.

I like the Afrika Korps idea, but i feel it should be 2 tanks + 2 mechs (or 1 tank + 3 mechs), inf/art would only hold back their speed, which should be the strong side of Rommel, imho.

II. Submarine Interdiction:  Submarines may now do 1 CRD die roll if in a sea zone adjacent to a convoy zone.
    III.  Wolf Packs:  3 German Submarines acting together (or more) but without any planes or surface ships now attack at 3 (4 with Super Submarines technology.)

Interesting idea, i like it. Would make a nice general rule too, i think.

5)  Italy
    I. +1 Destroyer in SZ 96 (Theme, stop England from moving ships to Gibraltar or at least make them dedicate more fighters to clearing the road.)

Or SZ94

9)  China
    I.  China may now take Japanese industrial complexes (or any enemy nation’s) and use them as if they were their own to buy any type of unit they so wish.

I’d prefer a few AA’s for China instead.

• Customizer

@Young:

I predict the future will have 3 different sets of rules for different players.

1. Hard core players and inventors who will eventually take it upon themselves to change the game by creating a more historic, balanced and in the end, complicated rule set.

2. The “once a month” players and purists who will strive to learn Larry’s latest rules to a “T”, and follow them religiously.

3. The newbie players and children who will play the game the best they understand it, which will be completely wrong.

Eh eh eh - I’m a number 2 for the most part, but a closet 1.

• wow jennifer, looks like you loved playing Zeno world at war. i like alot of these rules esp. german 2 impulse attack round 1. japan should be allowed to do this 1 time any round in sneak attack. makes thinks very interesting.

• Customizer

@mastermind93:

Japan - “Siberia, Sakhe, Amur and the Soviet Far East are now a National Objective. (5 IPC)” - Didn’t the USSR and Japan have a nonagression treaty? Then why would this be a NO?

Interesting bit of history here.  In 1927, Baron Gishi Tanaka, the Prime Minister of Japan, presented to the Emporer the “Tanaka Memorial” which was basically a detailed plan for world conquest by Japan.  In it, one of the aims was to occupy and control all Russian territory east of Lake Baikal, which was bacially the eastern 1/3 of Russia.  So, if you went by the “Tanaka Memorial” those four Soviet territories would make a good national objective for Japan.

• @knp7765:

@mastermind93:

Interesting bit of history here.  In 1927, Baron Gishi Tanaka, the Prime Minister of Japan, presented to the Emporer the “Tanaka Memorial” which was basically a detailed plan for world conquest by Japan.  In it, one of the aims was to occupy and control all Russian territory east of Lake Baikal, which was bacially the eastern 1/3 of Russia.  So, if you went by the “Tanaka Memorial” those four Soviet territories would make a good national objective for Japan.

Hasn’t the Tanaka memorial been shown as a hoax?

• @special:

@Cmdr:

1. Russia

i agree Russia needs something there, but 2 or 3 artillery should be enough. (also they cannot run to Moscow extra fast like tanks, so they’ll stay with the inf army, which was their purpose)

indeed, in fact I would think even the arty will make it back to moscow, but at least it  cannot race back like the armor.

Would be good

3)  England

No, in fact here Jenn is doing the same thing I called her out on earlier.  Why add more?  Lets fix the change instead of continuing the mistakes with the aa gun.  fixing the rule fixes all these aa gun loopholes ALL OVER THE BOARD.

1. Germany

I like the Afrika Korps idea, but i feel it should be 2 tanks + 2 mechs (or 1 tank + 3 mechs), inf/art would only hold back their speed, which should be the strong side of Rommel, imho.

I don’t like this idea.  I think that if Germany and the Axis want Rommel in Africa then they have to come up with a way to get them to Africa, not start them there.  I would be okay with a proposed rule that lets Germany use Italian trns for 1 round.

5)  Italy

Or SZ94

9)  China

but we only have Chinese inf.  Are we supposed to use Americans for chinese?  I ask because I had to go to my old A&AE game and get all the US subs because Global did not come with enough.  I think we should stick to chinese inf and american ftrs and arty.  BTW, anyone have any ideas why each A&A edition has slightly different plastic colors?  Why can’t they standardize the dang colors so one game goes with another??

@JimmyHat:

@special:

@Cmdr:

1. Russia

indeed, in fact I would think even the arty will make it back to moscow, but at least it  cannot race back like the armor.

Oh good idea!  Yes, instead of 2 Armor in Amur, make it 2 Artillery in Sakha.  I agree, we don’t want these units blitzing back, they are there to add threat to a Russian counter attack if Japan does not stack strongly enough.

Would be good

3)  England

No, in fact here Jenn is doing the same thing I called her out on earlier.  Why add more?  Lets fix the change instead of continuing the mistakes with the aa gun.  fixing the rule fixes all these aa gun loopholes ALL OVER THE BOARD.

First off, I LOVE the new AA Gun rules.  It’s more realistic and I think it makes the game a lot better.  Yes, adding units is to be avoided, but really, sometimes you have no choice, the options are (sometimes) add units and add counter units to balance it out, or leave a big, gaping hole.  In this case, I have yet to see a strategy that can stop Japan from taking India on round 3 and it’s because they can overwhelm the guns and really pummel the crud out of India.  Yes it costs them a lot of planes usually, but that’s a non-starter, they HAVE a lot of planes and without India they also have a lot less need for planes!

1. Germany

I don’t like this idea.  I think that if Germany and the Axis want Rommel in Africa then they have to come up with a way to get them to Africa, not start them there.  I would be okay with a proposed rule that lets Germany use Italian trns for 1 round.

Understood.  I figured there would be some resistance.  The German units are really to balance the new British and Russian units.  Perhaps 1 Mech, 1 Arm in Libya (where they are too far to blitz to Egypt, in case you wonder why not in Tobruk with the main Italian force)

5)  Italy

Or SZ94

Yes.  I think SZ 96 is better, it adds difficulty to England, but doesn’t force them to split up their airpower allowing them to mass better.

9)  China

but we only have Chinese inf.  Are we supposed to use Americans for chinese?  I ask because I had to go to my old A&AE game and get all the US subs because Global did not come with enough.  I think we should stick to chinese inf and american ftrs and arty.   BTW, anyone have any ideas why each A&A edition has slightly different plastic colors?  Why can’t they standardize the dang colors so one game goes with another??

You are already required to use American Artillery pieces for China, should they ever build any, I fail to see the issue of using more American pieces.  Then again, I have literally hundreds of pieces from other games I could pull in. (I like using the Fortress America ones to represent special units like Jets.)

“New” idea (as in first time I am bringing it up, not as in I thought of it first)  AA Guns can fire 3 shots in round 1 and 1 shot in round 2; cost 9 IPC (to represent increased power) and require an entire transport to be moved, or can walk along the land 1 space in NCM.  (Basically, cannot load an AA and an Inf) again to represent increased power of the AA Gun.  It also encourages defenders to not take AA Guns as casualties first, as the second round would still negate attacking planes before they can fire again.)

• Cost 9?  How about 7 or 8?

• @Cmdr:

AA Guns can fire 3 shots in round 1 and 1 shot in round 2;

I think AA-guns should start to behave just like the other units and roll one die each turn. It looks mad that AA-guns only fire at aircrafts during the first wave and ignore them the next day. I mean, a turn is like 3 or more months right, and the aircrafts go home and refuel and load more ammo between every die-rolls, right, but the AA-gun crews is a bunch of lazy retards  who only do their job the first day.

So basically I think that every round of battle should start with AA-gun fire.
    Each AA-gun roll one die that target one aircraft if its a hit. Then combat as usual.
    This goes on and on as long as you have Aa-guns.

• So, they can fire at planes(attacker chooses which planes to lose) every turn?  If it was only one shot per turn, per AA, that could be good.  Though it would probably create some problems.

• This certainly makes more sense than the arbitrary 3 units.  Does this shot occur before the attacking aircraft get to fire?  I ask because I feel that sneak shot is crucial in order to vary the dice of the attacker prior to any rolling.  Not knowing how many units you’re going to have make it into the attack is a great variable.

• OK here is a simple idea that might help solve the issue of London and Calcutta being too vulnerable to attacks that are excessively plane-heavy:

AA guns fire at up to 3 planes before the first round in territories that do not contain a  victory city.  In territories that contain a victory city, they fire at up to 3 planes before EACH round of combat.

This idea came from reading this thread so I put it here; maybe should be in House Rules.

BTW I like the idea of bids with AA guns, USSR having some artillery in Sakha, and China producing anything they want in captured ICs.

• China should really only be able to produce infantry.  The arty are almost too powerful but needed from a game perspective, and the ftr should be able to be replaced by the US.  I could perhaps see them being able to produce aa guns if needed.

I say this because China in the 40’s was vastly different than China today.  They were an agrarian economy that saw ‘commerce’ as a foreign invasion.(example, Chinese riots and attempts to nationalize foreign built rail lines, even though the peasants benefited from the rail lines and could not benefit if the lines were nationalized)  When most of your population are farm peasants, pretty much all you have is manpower.

Now China did have some industrialized areas, and they were the first people in history to create a specialized cottage industry in the shanghai region, but that had been a few hundred years earlier, and modernity had not hit China in the 40s.  Chinese reformers were busy trying to establish factories that would produce the things you needed just to build factories!  They had a long way to go and we are now just seeing the end results today.

JimmyHat:

I agree, China at the time was agrarian and not industrial, but they would have been able to capture a factory and, if they could get supplies from India, perhaps, would have been able to use it to churn out units for themselves.  Also, realistically, they would have captured some Japanese equipment, they didn’t lose every battle, you know?  Just a thought, not saying it has to be or even should be, just something to consider.

I like the American rule for replacing the fighter (house rule):  America lands a plane in China.  After America’s next round, if the plane has survived and has not moved at all, then during China’s place new units phase they can convert the plane to Chinese.  This gives Japan, essentially, two rounds to kill the thing.

Vance:

I like it, but maybe 3 shots round 1, and 1 shot each additional round - per surviving AA Gun.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m