• In the games I have played, I have seen 2 different approches to playing as Germany. In both they sacked france, and destroyed a majority of the british fleet, mainly the transports. However after that, everything is different. One buys some navy, and the other one just buys tanks. The first one sets up the infrastructure, and attacks Russia on turn 4. The latter usually just attacks Russia. The first one usally leaves normandy on G1 and takes southern france, but they focus on destroying the U.K. transporst on G1. The other just keeps spamming tanks at Russia. I would like your opinions about which one is better.

I know that most people threaten a Sea Lion, but they usually don’t.
    Ota

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Tank spam is stupid.

Worry about the other one… but sounds like each way, thier are about a million holes in thier plans.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Agreed.  There are tricks to dealing with “tank dashes” and one of them is to build a small core of hard hitting units, then deplete their cannon fodder as you sucker them back into your hard points.  There are others, that one is my favorite.

Fleet is the more dangerous build for the Axis and almost always requires the United States to invest in the Atlantic.  Maybe not to a great deal, but at least some investment otherwise, the Axis will end up with submarines all over the globe convoying you to death.

• i am playing a game as axis against cenator01, and i go just normal. attack France G1 (forget to put something in holland) G2, capture normandy, prepare for barbarossa. Maybe a sealion, or fake it.

• I’m a fan of going a naval route with Germany as well. Convoy hits are a great way to safely damage and isolate the UK, and Italy can really use the help in the Med. I like taking Southern France with Germany and using it’s minor IC to drop German ships right in the med, gives Italy a breather and opens all of African to serious pushes. Takes a little pressure off Japan because the Americans should have to focus some of their money in the Atlantic.

C

• We just played a game this weekend and the player who tank spams played Germany. He actually got moscow but skipped over leningrad. but after that, he had no real naval/air defense from the U.K. U.S. navies.

• We just played another game and more tank spam. Its really getting annoying so how do you deal with it? he always attacks G1 so I can’t pull back my beggining forces for an attack around his weak spots. Plus it seams as soon as I destroy something, 7-10 tanks come to replace it. HELP!!!

• He attacks Russia G1? Risky IMO, leaves too little to assault Russia, and too little smash France with. Not that France is difficult to take, but I always prefer overwhelming force vs France to avoid taking too many unnecessary casualties to a country that really doesn’t matter much after the first round.
    I attack Russia generally T2 as Germany, but what action I take is always dictated by the losses I suffer vs the RN.
    If he attacks turn 1 there isn’t really much Russia can do but try and hold the line. If you think he’s fully committed to trying to knock Russia out of the game early then I’d suggest buying Infantry and trying to make it as expensive as possible. Germany will likely get Moscow in the end, but in my group this tactic was crushed by UK response and the eventual US pressure.

C

• What Uk ships does he attack T1? and what does he purchase R1? It seems as though there has to be some weak spots in his attacks.

• He used to only sink my stuff in the convoy zone, but now he goes after my whole navy. The R1 attack is more of a Buffer as he calls it. Last game I landed in france with U.K. and with U.S. reiforcments began the fight for france which was liberated several times.

• If you are playing alpha rules if he goes light anywhere make sure you scramble. He cannot attack all your fleet with out loosing a ton of planes somewhere. In OOB I don’t know what to tell you… Have US take Norway and build a major IC. Germany should be in some trouble then.

• Cmdr Jennifer could you please elaborate on your strategy more in dealing with tank rushes/tank spaming. I like the invade norway idea as U.S. to build up fleet

@otahere34:

Cmdr Jennifer could you please elaborate on your strategy more in dealing with tank rushes/tank spaming. I like the invade norway idea as U.S. to build up fleet

Rules out of the box
    Alpha +1
    Alpha +2
    or Alpha +3?

Makes a difference on what America can and cannot do with Norway.

Anyway, trick to tank dashes is Artillery.  Instead of paring 3 infantry per 1 artillery, up it to 1.5 infantry per artillery and then retreat into yourself.  Once you get him stretched out (hence the tank dash part) you’ll start trading insignificant infantry for expense tanks and have enough artillery to really put some threat behind you.

• We usually play alpha 3 but we don’t use the AA gun rule or victory conditions. We make the victory conditions to where they have to control 7 on Europe and 6 in pacific. The only thing with AA guns is we don’t take them as casualties

• That makes taking UK really easy! I think going seal lion would happen every game in that case. The axis with the rules you guys played are WAY too powerful.

@theROCmonster:

That makes taking UK really easy! I think going seal lion would happen every game in that case. The axis with the rules you guys played are WAY too powerful.

Already does for me WITH the AA Gun rules.  (Actually you could change the AA Gun rules but keep everything else in Alpha 3 the same and I would STILL do Sea Lion because England’s defense is GONE.)  And why not?  You can get it cheap, it’s a capitol, and it’s a victory city.  It’s a win/win/win/lose (because it’s not an NO anymore.)

• I really would like to see more defense added to england. Make it harder to take the capital. It is ridiculous that there is no way to defend against it.

• I challenge anyone to try to take London against me in Alpha 3 without entirely unacceptable losses - defined as losing all your Fighters/Tacs in order to take London.  Either in an actual match up to G4 or in a simple thought-experiment thread.

I don’t think it’s quite as easy as you guys all think it is.

• The games too easy to read. Instead of Russia retreating and reinforcing they will be able to see you going for a Sealion attempt and just stack the borders. To take UK, some German Airforce may be lost due to AAGun fire or as losses so troops can take the territory. Germany needs their Airforce, fullstop. Thats their attacking power. On top of that you have however many IPCs invested in transports that have an attack power of fuck all. Germany also needs to help keep Italy alive or at least make a foot hole for them in Africa. Thats alot to do without spending IPCs on transports. IF you could take London you will be weak in other areas. If you would like a game of Alpha 3 after our Alpha 2 game Alsch91 just let me know. (Even though Im agreeing with you, I am still curious)

• But the player never ever builds a navy or anything for sealion. He just goes after russia which lets the U.K. do almost whatever he wants to do. All he really does is destroy the navy then everything is sent east. He at one time didn’t even do that, until I invaded france on turn 2.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m