• At each countries high point who were the top 10 strongest in WWI?

• 1. Germany
    2. England
    3. France
    4. United States
    5. Russia
    6. Austria-Hungary
    7. Japan
    8. Italy
    9. Ottoman Empire
    10. Serbia

• 1. Germany
    2. Russia
    3. France
    4. England
    5. Austria-Hungary
    6. United States
    7. Italy
    8. Ottoman Empire
    9. Japan
    10.Serbia
    11.Bulgaria

• '10

I’m really sorry guys, but I am shocked to see the US army so high on these listings!?!?

We are talking about WW1, in which the United States had not entered until 1917, and not engaged the enemy in force until 1918.  The US army as we know it was in it’s infancy.  Raw recruits, lack of experience of the officers and often under French command.

What is the criteria here for “best” army? Size? Success?

Based on size I would list as follows:

1:Russia
    2:Germany
    3:France
    4:Austria-Hungary
    5: British Empire
    6:Italy
    7:Ottoman
    8: United States

Obviously this is not a rating of quality

• I’m really sorry guys, but I am shocked to see the US army so high on these listings!?!?

I agree…But I am not surprised because our neighbors of the South tend to overestimate themselves.

1. germany
    2. france
    3. england
    4. Russia
    5. austria-hungary
    6. Italy
    7. Ottoman
    8. USA
    9. Japan
    10. Serbia

• Placing the U.S behind the ‘Old Man of Europe’ shows a little U.S bitterness on your part. This isn’t the Ottoman Empire in 1683 at the gates Vienna.  :wink:

I placed the U.S high on my list not because of the battles or standing armies, but for the abilities the country has to produce vast amounts quality arms and it’s huge population.

I placed the U.S above Russia and Austria-hungary. The average U.S soilder was better trained and better feed than the other two troops. Austria-Hungary’s best troops were it’s Germanic and Austrians troops, these units were worn down in the bloody Battles in Galicia
    with Russia in 1914-15. The results were the cream of the A-H were no more and more and more Germany support was needed keeping the country in the war.

Russia had huges numbers of troops and an good officer corp but did not have the modern infrastructure to put these advantages to use.

I did struggle with France and England’s second and third placements.

1. Germany
    2. Britain
    3. france
    4. Canada
    5. Russia
    6. Austria
    7. Italy
      8 ) USA
    8. ottoman
    9. Japan

Reason why Canada’s on the list is because the Canadian corp 1915-1919 was more effective the France or england

• @i:

1. Germany
    2. Britain
    3. france
    4. Canada
    5. Russia
    6. Austria
    7. Italy
    8. USA
    9. ottoman
    10. Japan

Reason why Canada’s on the list is because the Canadian corp 1915-1919 was more effective the France or england

Canada was considered part of the British Empire at that point.

• '10

@Dylan:

@i:

1. Germany
    2. Britain
    3. france
    4. Canada
    5. Russia
    6. Austria
    7. Italy
    8. USA
    9. ottoman
    10. Japan

Canada was considered part of the British Empire at that point.

I agree here.  If we are being honest, and downgrading the US on this list… we can not include Canada.  This has nothing to do with the Huge contribution made by Canada.  In fact, The Great War was the first time the “Canadian Army” was allowed to fight together with all it’s divisions under its own commanders…  BUT, it was still under Imperial HQ and part of the British Empire.

• You guys have high regards for the Italian Armies.

The Italian war effort can be described as a failure. Italy had only one main front to fight taking on enemies that have many fronts to contend with. The battles of 1915-17 showsed little progress, 1917 the rout of Caporetto.

Only when Austria-Hungary was at the point of revolution could the Italian Armies have large sucess.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Historians say that if the war went on another year, that Currie would have been put in charge of ALL the English troops.

The first time a COLONIAL would run the show…. and embarassment for the UK.  A gem for Canada.

• '10

@ABWorsham:

You guys have high regards for the Italian Armies.

The Italian war effort can be described as a failure. Italy had only one main front to fight taking on enemies that have many fronts to contend with. The battles of 1915-17 showsed little progress, 1917 the rout of Caporetto.

Only when Austria-Hungary was at the point of revolution could the Italian Armies have large sucess.

I agree.  But the Italians had more divisions and ships engaged with the enemy at any one time than the USA had during the entire conflict.

You also have to consider that the “Alpine Front” was one of the most difficult and geographically challenging of the entire war.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m