Alpha 3 Intelligence Report - Straight from the front lines!

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Not to my knowledge.  To my knowledge he’s only talking about reassigning equipment in the Atlantic and moving the Mexican NO to anywhere else.

• @Cmdr:

Not to my knowledge.  To my knowledge he’s only talking about reassigning equipment in the Atlantic and moving the Mexican NO to anywhere else.

IMHO the Axis could use a little more help than that.

It looks like I will have to go back to the drawing board to find a way to win as the Axis against my friends :(  Operation Sea Lion here I come!

I have just recommended (yesterday) that perhaps Germany/Italy should only need 7 Victory Cities to win, to offset this, Japan should have 7 Victory Cities to win.  This would allow America to choose which war s/he wants to focus on while punishing America for ignoring one side or the other. (Without America, Japan can easily get 7 VCs.  Without America, Germany/Italy can easily get 7 VCs.  With America, Japan or Germany/Italy might get 7 VCs, if they play strategy!)

Larry is “considering it”

• I still like the 6VCs on the Pacific side, 7VC on Euro side would definitely get America involved on Euro side- maybe :|

@questioneer:

I still like the 6VCs on the Pacific side, 7VC on Euro side would definitely get America involved on Euro side- maybe :|

I want to test it.  I fear it might be too easy for Japan to get a win if America is dedicating 75% of it’s income to stop Germany…

• Sounds like he’s talking about keeping the Mexican NO, and changing the Archangel one to require US trns.  I like this idea, its a good compromise in that it requires US help to get the bonus, leaves the Mexican NO for possible raiding, and in my games Russia has gotten this NO perhaps 15% of the time.

• @Zallomallo:

I should probably put this on the Harris website, but I like 2 per territory that the US liberates, or takes from European Axis.  (maybe Pro Allied too? probably not)

Or perhaps two IPCs per US bomber stationed in England up to a maximum of 6 IPCs(8?) symbolizing the US effort of bombing Germany.

• I would like to see the U-boats a bit more potent. Once Germany loses them there’s hardly any incentive to rebuy any. Also, the sz in which they can currently do some damage are very easily defended and at the cost of at most 2 IPC to the Allied player he will, on the subsequent turn, destroy 1 or two subs. That’s a heck of a lot more IPCs worth…

I always liked the rule (optional?) in revised that each German sub in the Atlantic by the end of each last Allied turn makes the Allies pay 1 IPC to the bank.

• I don’t really see the need to do an Alpha 3 at all… what’s wrong with alpha2?

There is an optional rule that German U-Boats convoy raid at 3 dmg.  If that was made standard, it would make them much more effective AND once you clear the waters, it might be useful for you to build a bit more to cripple America with as well.

• @Cmdr:

There is an optional rule that German U-Boats convoy raid at 3 dmg.  If that was made standard, it would make them much more effective AND once you clear the waters, it might be useful for you to build a bit more to cripple America with as well.

Totally agree with you on that. Actually, isn’t an OOB option rule?
    Typing this question me in such manner that I go grab my rulebook

Yep it is, I knew I saw it. At page 22 of Europe Rulebook :
    Optionnal Rule : Winston churchill once said : “The only thing that really frightened me during the war was the U-Boat peril”. You can represent this peril by each German submarine causing the loss of 3IPCs instead of 2.

So, we don’t need a Alpha 3 for this. That optionnal rule is there since the first day of Global '40

That being said, I don’t think USA would suffer from this, its too easy for USA to protect nearby water areas

Make the optional rule standard in Alpha 3.

• make it so german subs convoy raid at a 2 in zones agacent to the convoy zone and 4 while on it.

• @Cmdr:

Make the optional rule standard in Alpha 3.

Or standard and optional to remove xD

• Sponsor

Any ideas about when Alfa +3 will get posted?

• Although it appears that the Allies need to be weakened in Alpha 3, from what I can read, I have two minor suggestions to rule adaptations that I would think would add a fun twist to the game.

My two minor suggestions:
    -Free French Forces: Every turn the French player can place 1 infantry on any of their territory. If none remains they can place that infantry in London. (I didn’t come up with that rule, I read it on another thread, but my friends and I have been using it and it’s pretty entertaining!). This represents the growing involvement of the exiled French, which are, in my opinion, underrepresented in the basic game settings.

-“Sink the Bismarck!”: After the pride of the British Navy, HMS Hood, was sunk by the Germans, Churchill issued that famous injunction. The first time that British units destroy a German Battleship, the UK player gets 3 IPC, as an income bonus, at the end of the turn. Once only.

Please let me know what you guys think about those. Of course, they would need to be balanced by some minor adjustments to the Axis.

• 2007 AAR League

Any idea when the Alpha +3 rules will be released?

• @captainhook:

Although it appears that the Allies need to be weakened in Alpha 3, from what I can read, I have two minor suggestions to rule adaptations that I would think would add a fun twist to the game.

-Free French Forces: Every turn the French player can place 1 infantry on any of their territory. If none remains they can place that infantry in London. (I didn’t come up with that rule, I read it on another thread, but my friends and I have been using it and it’s pretty entertaining!). This represents the growing involvement of the exiled French, which are, in my opinion, underrepresented in the basic game settings.

-“Sink the Bismarck!”: After the pride of the British Navy, HMS Hood, was sunk by the Germans, Churchill issued that famous injunction. The first time that British units destroy a German Battleship, the UK player gets 3 IPC, as an income bonus, at the end of the turn. Once only.

HAHAHA  pure comedic gold!  Thanks Captain Hook!

I mean, you start your post by mentioning how the allies seem to need to be weakened, and then add in 2 house rules that benefit the allies!!! Hilarity ensues….

• @JimmyHat:

HAHAHA  pure comedic gold!  Thanks Captain Hook!

I mean, you start your post by mentioning how the allies seem to need to be weakened, and then add in 2 house rules that benefit the allies!!! Hilarity ensues….

:-D ha ha.

Well I did write “Although it seems that the allies need to be weakened”, which acts as acknowledgement that I am about to contradict it.  :wink:

• @captainhook:

Although it appears that the Allies need to be weakened in Alpha 3, from what I can read, I have two minor suggestions to rule adaptations that I would think would add a fun twist to the game.

Please let me know what you guys think about those. Of course, they would need to be balanced by some minor adjustments to the Axis.

I really like those 2 rules, very historical. They could counter balanced a greater help to axis in new rules (alpha 3 as it seems to be coming)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m