Lee surrenders his army today in his beloved and war torn Virginia

• Today, the 9th April, in 1865 General R.E. Lee signed the surrender of the army which he had forged into his own and with which he had come closest to winning his faction’s aims, the great Army of Northern Virginia. This once proud army had never flinched before its counterpart, The Union Army of the Potomac.
    Today, after having left Petersburg, Va, in an attempt to reach Lynchburg and the only other large Confederate army, that of Tennessee(now in North Carolina), Lee and his surviving 28000 men had no where left to run.
    The man who had brought about the army’s downfall was a Westerner, named Hiram Ulysses Grant. Both men had known each other in the US’s last great conflict, The Mexican War of 1846-8. He had taken over control of this vital clash once given command of all Union armies, back in March of 1864 and he had made it his goal to end the war soon as he could. It took the great Grant a year and tens of thousands of Northern casualties, but it was now over. Between the two armies thee was great respect. Grant was gracious in his surrender terms and Lee never forgot this.
    Although many Southern armies still existed, Lee’s surrender was the catalyst for them to follow suit. The awful Civil War would not last much longer.

• Maybe if Lee and the Confederates had AK-47s…

• @Jermofoot:

Maybe if Lee and the Confederates had AK-47s…

That one was good. I hear the rest got really off the rails.

:|

We’ve had that discussion here haven’t we?

• @frimmel:

@Jermofoot:

Maybe if Lee and the Confederates had AK-47s…

That one was good. I hear the rest got really off the rails.

:|

We’ve had that discussion here haven’t we?

We have.  I couldn’t search it at first, but tried again and found this thread:

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=14501.0

I never read past the first one, but I did take a stab at the Aliens in WW2 one.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m