• '10

Now that I have played many games of both Global and the individual 1940 games.  It has become clear to me that France can not last more than turn 2/3.  I will be using this very small house rule from now on to make playing France just a little more interesting.  I have modified it from the version I posted in AAHG40, as I now believe the Alpha changes have ballanced the game and the European Axis have a good chance of Victory.

Here it is:

THE CASE OF FRANCE

I feel that France is just a “road bump” in this game and really does not pay tribute to the Contribution to Allied victory made by Frenchmen and Colonial subjects Worldwide. In all the games I have played France has been all but wiped out by turn 2/3.  However FREE FRENCH all over the globe were gathering and fighting for final victory throughout the war.  During the last half of the war their numbers were growing.  This sadly is not played out in the Game.

The Growing FREE FRENCH

_I have given France the ability to build new units even though Paris is under the Axis boot.  They are produced in the same way Chinese Forces are produced in AA50 (With revision)  France can build ONE INFANTRY unit per turn.  This unit can be placed on any original and Allied controlled FRENCH territory that is not Axis Occupied or controlled.  This will recreate the slow build of FREE FRENCH forces coming from all over the Empire but not allow them to over power the Axis at any one point alone.  Indeed they will sometimes be a burden to the Western Allies as they may need to be Transported around etc… as was the case.  If every FRENCH territory on the Game board is AXIS controlled, than the unit will be built in LONDON. (If London is not also AXIS controlled)

The French did indeed have a substantial Military Force in INDO-CHINA as they were fighting the Communists in the Second Indo-China War in 1940.  I have represented this by adding 1 INF to the territory in the start up._

This is a very SMALL change and fun HOUSE RULE.  Allowing France to remain a part of the game, even if in a very minor role.  Even in a supporting role they will also be able to take part in Final Victory!

• '10

@FieldMarshalGames:

Now that I have played many games of both Global and the individual 1940 games.  It has become clear to me that France can not last more than turn 2/3.  I will be using this very small house rule from now on to make playing France just a little more interesting.  I have modified it from the version I posted in AAHG40, as I now believe the Alpha changes have ballanced the game and the European Axis have a good chance of Victory.

Here it is:

THE CASE OF FRANCE

I feel that France is just a “road bump” in this game and really does not pay tribute to the Contribution to Allied victory made by Frenchmen and Colonial subjects Worldwide. In all the games I have played France has been all but wiped out by turn 2/3.  However FREE FRENCH all over the globe were gathering and fighting for final victory throughout the war.  During the last half of the war their numbers were growing.  This sadly is not played out in the Game.

The Growing FREE FRENCH

_I have given France the ability to build new units even though Paris is under the Axis boot.  They are produced in the same way Chinese Forces are produced in AA50 (With revision)  France can build ONE INFANTRY unit per turn.  This unit can be placed on any original and Allied controlled FRENCH territory that is not Axis Occupied or controlled.  This will recreate the slow build of FREE FRENCH forces coming from all over the Empire but not allow them to over power the Axis at any one point alone.  Indeed they will sometimes be a burden to the Western Allies as they may need to be Transported around etc… as was the case.  If every FRENCH territory on the Game board is AXIS controlled, than the unit will be built in LONDON. (If London is not also AXIS controlled)

The French did indeed have a substantial Military Force in INDO-CHINA as they were fighting the Communists in the Second Indo-China War in 1940.  I have represented this by adding 1 INF to the territory in the start up._

This is a very SMALL change and fun HOUSE RULE.  Allowing France to remain a part of the game, even if in a very minor role.  Even in a supporting role they will also be able to take part in Final Victory!

I like it. I am going to use this in our Alpha+2 game next week.

• We use Xeno’s World at War rule.  Once Paris falls the Axis and Allies roll for French Territories to see if they are Free French or Vichy.  Also a Xeno’s rule, is that INF may be built anywhere there is a Value.  If a Territory has a Value of 3, then 3 INF may be built there.  After the Roll for Free French or Vichy, France sometimes has enough income to build 3 or more INF each turn.  As long as they have Territory open with Values.

• '10

@Johnson73:

We use Xeno’s World at War rule.  Once Paris falls the Axis and Allies roll for French Territories to see if they are Free French or Vichy.  Also a Xeno’s rule, is that INF may be built anywhere there is a Value.  If a Territory has a Value of 3, then 3 INF may be built there.  After the Roll for Free French or Vichy, France sometimes has enough income to build 3 or more INF each turn.  As long as they have Territory open with Values.

That is very cool, but this is made for AAG40 Alpha setup specifically.
    The idea is to keep it simple, and not upset game dynamics or balance…  While adding an interesting aspect.

• @Johnson73:

We use Xeno’s World at War rule.  Once Paris falls the Axis and Allies roll for French Territories to see if they are Free French or Vichy.  Also a Xeno’s rule, is that INF may be built anywhere there is a Value.  If a Territory has a Value of 3, then 3 INF may be built there.  After the Roll for Free French or Vichy, France sometimes has enough income to build 3 or more INF each turn.  As long as they have Territory open with Values.

Funny, I was just thinking of exactly that system. In WaW what is the chance that a territory goes to FF/Vichy? Is it 50/50?

• @MrBlack103:

@Johnson73:

Funny, I was just thinking of exactly that system. In WaW what is the chance that a territory goes to FF/Vichy? Is it 50/50?

you rolled a die for each of the 2 starting French fleets on the Atlantic and Med: a result of 1 and it would join Germany, 2-4 and the fleet would be scuttled and removed from play, 5 and it became Vichy French (it would be neutral and moved to a SZ bordering a Vichy French territory, defending itself from any attackers and join the Free French if the Allies conquered the territory bordering the SZ). For the each territory you rolled a die, 1-3 becomes Vichy, 4-6 Free French, along with any units on it. The income from Vichy territories would go to the Axis, but the Axis couldn’t move units to the territory and any attacks on Vichy territories resulted on all other Vichy territories becoming Free French.

• those are xeno that my friend and i are using for vichy, and I LOVE these free french rules also

• '10

Larry liked the rule, but said it was to complex for the OOB game.

• '10

@FieldMarshalGames:

Here it is:

THE CASE OF FRANCE

The Growing FREE FRENCH

We tried this in a couple of games and it made a small speed bump for the Italians is all. My opponent liked it but of course he was playing the allies.

• '10

Im glad to hear that it was a minor change that did not effect the outcome.  In the end it just made the French turn more interesting correct?  Now with Alpha+2 the French have a FIGHTER in UK, this can be moved to Africa and actually allow them to have an offensive.

• Yeah, after all isn’t the only point of this rule to make the French more fun to play, but not really do anything special?

• '10

@Sun_Tzu:

Yeah, after all isn’t the only point of this rule to make the French more fun to play, but not really do anything special?

Exactly!  Not to unbalance the game, but to make France truly a playable after round 2-3.  I see this is being widely used now

• Yeah Im gonna use this rule now  :-)

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Perhaps using one of the rules from the classic expansion packs would be of quality to free french?  (I don’t remember exactly, but here goes)

Roll a six sided die (D6)

• On a 1 the French unit is replaced with a British unit, identical to the French unit removed and placed in the same territory the French unit was in, the territory is now British (and is liberated as British until Paris, France is liberated.)
    • On a 2, 3, 4 or 5, the unit is “Free” and dissolves into the country side.  Remove the unit from the board, territory remains French and can be liberated for any country that liberates it from the Axis.
    • On a 6 the unit becomes a Resistance Unit and stays on the board as French.  England controls the piece on Frances turn, but in all aspects of game play, it remains a French unit.  It takes territories as a French unit.  If it captures a capitol, it plunders the treasure as would a French unit.

• What would be the point of this? You would lose a ton of your units, and you already have so little…

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

By France 1 there is generally:

1 Cruiser
    2 Destroyers
    5 Infantry

However, there is 8 IPC in land value pretty much unclaimed.

The idea of the rule is to give England a boost since they are dumping more than they earn into defending London from Sea Lion. (well, they need more than they earn if Germany has decent dice and sets up an early Sea Lion.)

However, perhaps you want to alter the numbers a bit.  /shrug.

1-2 its British unit(S), territory(ies)
    3-5 its French unit(s), territory(ies)
    6 the units are removed and the territory is left empty.

Gives England a 33% chance to pick up any remaining French Units and Territories.

Also, if you add in the rule the French units cannot move for any reason after Paris, France falls, it effectively ends France from needing a turn and tying up the game. Italy can go, then Germany in one smooth, uninterrupted turn.  And no more 3 day waiting periods for France to say “do nothing, go Germany” in online play!

• '10

I have noticed there are about 20 threads on this topic.  I am bumping this as it was popular months ago.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m