How long do your Global 1940 games last?

• Hey all, I’ve played G40 the past 2 weekends in a row.

First game with 5 guys, standard OOB rules with errata addressed. We put the 2 experienced players as the Axis because we believed it was more of an uphill battle for them, as in Classic. After 8.5 hours we called it around turn 7 (3AM), projecting the Axis victory due to huge momentum (Soviets out and USA/UK failed to make it happen).

Second game was a 1v1 using Larry’s Alpha+.1 ruleset (which felt a lot more balanced actually!), myself as the Allies and another equally inexperienced player as the Axis. The epic 16 hour game was called at turn 10 (7AM) in favour of the Axis for holding Stalingrad as the final victory city.

This particular loss was huge upset for the Allies as the final blow of this drawn out game was extremely anti-climatic. A small Italian force of 3 artillery from the South took Stalingrad 3-0 vs a reasonably safe defense with adjacent infantry to support a counterattack. Moscow was to fall next round. The USA was 1 round away from landing in either London or France with a strong force and sweep an empty Europe. The second and final blow to Tokyo was to occur the very next turn (USA). In short, I feel I stayed up all night to lose to an extremely risky attack and hot dice. My fully staged victory invasion was unable to ever take place.

F.

Things I am thinking for next time, aside from strategy:

• To never try and play this game in a single sitting again, unless you set up the night before and start early in the morning. Otherwise I believe it takes at least two sittings to really enjoy it and not destroy your sleep cycle for a week.

• In Global 1940 I will strongly consider using Low Luck rules solely based of the fact that this game takes an absolute bare minimum of 10 hours to play out completely. It’s not like other (inferior  :-P) dice games where it’s like “LOL hot dice!! That was fun, we should play again 3 or 4 more times before bed.” I have not tried Low Luck yet, is it popular? Tell me how you feel about it.

• Yea I almost always set it up the night before and we like to start playing at 10am. Having said that, the games still usually go until the small hours

• I am in the middle of a fifteen turn game with alpha+.  We play in six hour sittings. My kid isnt big enough to get into the basement and mess things up yet lol.

Typically when I am the Allies games take forever. I play these things like chess and love backing up to counter attack.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

experienced players play faster.

Also, try doing multiple turns at once, IE, if US is a different player then china/france, they can move simultaneously.

Also, if the Soviets move their forces in the east, right as germany starts planning, then for all intensive purposely, round 1 and round 2, the Japs can move at the same time as the  germans, saves ALOT of time.

Same thing for London/India and ANZAC.

• I think experienced players to move faster.  They tend to have builds done before it’s even their turn.  That and they have a plan before it’s there turn.  The more inexperienced players you have, the more they are trying to figure out on the fly and tend to do “different” moves.

We have played som 10-11 hour games but we allocate the entire day to it starting early in the morning.

• i always play the same guy, 1vs1, and it takes forever.  with kids, wives, work…we usually play 1, maybe 2, rounds per night, couple nights a week, for a couple weeks. this way we can start a round at 8 or 9, and be home by 10 or 11.  works out pretty good, except for the constant thinking about the game at work. :mrgreen:

• '10

It takes us on a one on one game about 10 to 12 hours. Two sessions. We end our games with one side or other resigning. We have never played using the VCs and never play to the bitter end. When you have played a lot of these games you know when one or the other has had it. Better to start a new game.

• This is all good info for me, I bought both of these games on launch and still have not had time to set up Europe or Global and play a game. Plus I’m most likely going to have to buy a bigger table or fashion one myself because our dining room table just won’t fit the board. But by all accounts this is the game I have been waiting for, it sounds absolutely epic!

• @maverick_76:

This is all good info for me, I bought both of these games on launch and still have not had time to set up Europe or Global and play a game. Plus I’m most likely going to have to buy a bigger table or fashion one myself because our dining room table just won’t fit the board. But by all accounts this is the game I have been waiting for, it sounds absolutely epic!

And epic it is… You had better like political rules and detailed national objectives! Those Bob A Mickelson PDF’s work wonders for keeping track, hope he updates for Larry’s rules too! =)

By the way the very first game I played was Europe only, it was good to get a feel for things and still extensively long to play.

• Customizer

@inverted:

And epic it is… You had better like political rules and detailed national objectives! Those Bob A Mickleson PDF’s work wonders for keeping track, hope he updates for Larry’s rules too! =)

I plan on creating new charts for Larry’s New Global setup and objectives. The only question is how long will it take Larry to finish?

• I have only played Global Rules three times (just started a fourth game the other day).  We play when we can, leaving the gameboard set up.  Our games have typically lasted about 18 hours each.

• I have played 3 global games. Two of them took 12, the third 14 hours.

• @Bob_A_Mickelson:

@inverted:

And epic it is… You had better like political rules and detailed national objectives! Those Bob A Mickleson PDF’s work wonders for keeping track, hope he updates for Larry’s rules too! =)

I plan on creating new charts for Larry’s New Global setup and objectives. The only question is how long will it take Larry to finish?

Nice, you do great work Bob. Thank you.

• '10

Yesterdays Alpha+1 game took a good six hours for six rounds. Of course that includes time for breaks.

• The two games that I have finished (in one go) have lasted 13 and 15 hours respectively.  I have played 4 others in an ongoing format where we would play a turn every other day.  All of these games lasted over a week.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m