My review copy of Axis & Allies Europe 1940 has arrived

• @Shakespeare:

I wonder: jensen did not say that the Soviets place the 2 units into Novosibirsk for free

when I read that I initially thought he meant that if the Soviets do indeed build/deploy units in a turn they must deploy at least 2 inf into Novosibirsk; in other words, if the Soviets build or deploy units thay have to buy units as usual, but at least 2 inf must go into Novosibirsk

I just thought it was clever way to not allow the Soviets to stack the borders in anticipation of the German attack they historically were indeed unprepared for.

So are those 2 inf units free or do they cost the Soviets but are still a mandatory placement?

I would like to see this confirmed aswell. Anybody any clue?

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@SAS:

We got the setup in the first review, what do we need a unit count for?  You can just add it up from that, right?

I think he means how many pieces are provided with each game? i.e the unit count for German mechs will be 3

haha yeah this i what i was asking for how many different pieces come with each country like germany will get blank amount of each unit

• Official Q&A

@Woodstock:

@Shakespeare:

I wonder: jensen did not say that the Soviets place the 2 units into Novosibirsk for free

when I read that I initially thought he meant that if the Soviets do indeed build/deploy units in a turn they must deploy at least 2 inf into Novosibirsk; in other words, if the Soviets build or deploy units thay have to buy units as usual, but at least 2 inf must go into Novosibirsk

I just thought it was clever way to not allow the Soviets to stack the borders in anticipation of the German attack they historically were indeed unprepared for.

So are those 2 inf units free or do they cost the Soviets but are still a mandatory placement?

I would like to see this confirmed aswell. Anybody any clue?

They’re free.

• I’m guessing that is to simulate conscription forces, am I right?

• Customizer

Or to reflect the fact that this region was the main centre of Soviet weapons production after 1941.  I think there should be a factory here; tanks produced here can reach beyond all Soviet starting borders in 3 turns.

• Official Q&A

They represent Far Eastern forces being recalled.

• @Flashman:

quote oztea:

It would seem that Larry went this way with it because of the side to which the people of the country were leaning as opposed to their governments.  Why?  We don’t exactly know.

It seems so, but isn’t this in contradiction to the rest of the board?

Surely control in A&A is about military and government power, not the shifting sympathies of the proletariat.

You may as well make Egypt pro-Axis, as it was under a shaky and unpopular pro-British government.

Larry justifies his Pro-Allies Persia by the fact that Persia traded most of their oil with the Allies.  Iraq had the same economic relationship with Germany that pre-dates WWI, hence the Alliance with the Ottoman Empire.  It seems clear to me that Larry was considering neither the governments, nor public opinion, but the economic relationship of each country.

• When can we expect the next preview?..…It’s been a long time :oops:

• @Napoleon:

When can we expect the next preview?..…It’s been a long time :oops:

I’d love to see the NOs.

• what the hell,why is ireland pro allied,as an irish man this is an insult,ireland refused to let britan and usa use their ports,and station planes and troops in the republic,from fear of them not going after the war,ireland detained downed axis and allied flyers during the war,allso the british closed the border with the north,for fear of spies and sabatours,ireland has all way being a strict neatrul and all ways will be,i am proud my country has never hads a foreign war. but this will meen uk will have to station troops is ireland with no bonus of ipc or infantry,cos germany could use ireland to bomb the usa

• I agree that Ireland probably should’ve been a strict neutral, but it probably won’t make a difference gameplay-wise, as Germany most likely will never get troops into Eire or if they do, it won’t be for long.  There’s not much incentive for anyone to occupy Eire with no IPC value and no infantry and not even island status for scrambling…  And it doesn’t connect to anything strategic.

• Djensen, thanks for the previews, been away for a while- wow I come back and we have photos and preview.  I get my copies in about 7-10days.  I can wait as I will be studying the new rules from this forum anyway.  The French infantry units are flipping sweet!!! Very nice!!! :-)  Map looks great of course.

• Can you or someone please post a pdf copy of Europe rulebook plz?!?

• So I had a chance to play this weekend.  It was fun.  Tried some different things so it didn’t play out just like any A&A game.  I played the axis.  Germany failed to take France on G1, but did kill off all the British fleet around UK only losing one fighter and 2 subs.  I had bought an AC thinking that not having to worry about Russia until the 4th turn I’d go at England and taking France would give me contol of Europe already.  Well not taking France with Germany really hurt my plan, so after the Allies started to buy infantry to seal up the East, and UK bought some men and a plane to go at boats and shore up defenses in England, I had to take out France with Italy, so they got the IPCs.  It worked out OK though as Italy then turned to Africa an rolled through starting more on turn 2.  Lucky rolls too.  Barely lost a unit.  Only problem I found was there are not enough Italian control markers to take all of Africa.  Had to put them on the borders as I got to the West and South.  Well, Germany bought a bunch of Transports on G2 and England bought a ton of Men.  With the fleet and a full AC Englan chickened out and didn’t attack with his planes.  He wanted the defense.  Germany rolled into England on turn G3 and won with one Tank and 2 fighters left.  Lost almost the full airforce, but now controlled England and France by turn 3.  Plus with all the extra money was able to build up the next turn.  America, now in the war, had spent early money buying transports and land units mostly, thinking he would jump to Africa and help out.  Now he was in defense mode as Africa was almost all Italian and Germany still had a decent fleet.  Germany bought more Transports and men and a couple plans on G4, and by the time Russia joins the war, they had moved a bunch of men as a defensive wall.  America bought more troops on US4, but with the Naval base in England, Germany moved over and landed in Canada on G5.  At this point my friend decided that even though the US was now in the  war, Italy was going to be able to help defend against Russia and Germany was going to keep hitting North America, and he through in the towel.  It was fun, but I had great rolls all night and that made it a lot easier.  Virtually every risk I took went my way.  I left the game set up and I think I’ll run through the motions to see if it would hold up.  The Axis were very strong at this point.  It was fun to land in America.  I’ve never done that that early before.  Not having a Russian front in the first 4 rounds made it too tempting and I had to try.  Thumbs up for the game so far, but I would have liked more US  transports and more control markers for Italy.

• @boboshonda:

So I had a chance to play this weekend.  It was fun.  Tried some different things so it didn’t play out just like any A&A game.  I played the axis.  Germany failed to take France on G1, but did kill off all the British fleet around UK only losing one fighter and 2 subs.  I had bought an AC thinking that not having to worry about Russia until the 4th turn I’d go at England and taking France would give me contol of Europe already.  Well not taking France with Germany really hurt my plan, so after the Allies started to buy infantry to seal up the East, and UK bought some men and a plane to go at boats and shore up defenses in England, I had to take out France with Italy, so they got the IPCs.  It worked out OK though as Italy then turned to Africa an rolled through starting more on turn 2.  Lucky rolls too.  Barely lost a unit.  Only problem I found was there are not enough Italian control markers to take all of Africa.  Had to put them on the borders as I got to the West and South.  Well, Germany bought a bunch of Transports on G2 and England bought a ton of Men.  With the fleet and a full AC Englan chickened out and didn’t attack with his planes.  He wanted the defense.  Germany rolled into England on turn G3 and won with one Tank and 2 fighters left.  Lost almost the full airforce, but now controlled England and France by turn 3.  Plus with all the extra money was able to build up the next turn.  America, now in the war, had spent early money buying transports and land units mostly, thinking he would jump to Africa and help out.  Now he was in defense mode as Africa was almost all Italian and Germany still had a decent fleet.  Germany bought more Transports and men and a couple plans on G4, and by the time Russia joins the war, they had moved a bunch of men as a defensive wall.  America bought more troops on US4, but with the Naval base in England, Germany moved over and landed in Canada on G5.  At this point my friend decided that even though the US was now in the  war, Italy was going to be able to help defend against Russia and Germany was going to keep hitting North America, and he through in the towel.  It was fun, but I had great rolls all night and that made it a lot easier.  Virtually every risk I took went my way.  I left the game set up and I think I’ll run through the motions to see if it would hold up.  The Axis were very strong at this point.  It was fun to land in America.  I’ve never done that that early before.  Not having a Russian front in the first 4 rounds made it too tempting and I had to try.  Thumbs up for the game so far, but I would have liked more US  transports and more control markers for Italy.

Waw, harsh game for the allies!

So if England falls, USA better gets some DD blockers in the Atlantic.

Although, if England falls, isn’t the game usually over?

• It was.  That’s why I can’t really make a call on how even the game sets up.  The rolls were so hot for the Axis and so cold for the Allies.  Other then France holding off Germany in G1, all the other battles were wins for the Axis with minimal loss.  And I do believe if I had gone at Russia with both the Axis countries after England fell, it would have been a relatively easy victory.  Splitting them and taking Germany to NA was fun, but not the best choice.  I did it just to say I did it.  America could have held out a long time, I’m sure, seeing as they could put 20 infantry out a turn with their new found wealth and two major ICs.  But it was fun and I look forward to another game of E40 before we do a full Global!

• Man that sounds really sweet!

• what does G1 and G2 etc. mean?

• Founder TripleA Admin

I wanted an easy way to reference each of the national objectives.

@Doomreaperx:

what does G1 and G2 etc. mean?

• @Doomreaperx:

what does G1 and G2 etc. mean?

G1 is Germany turn 1 and G2 is Germany turn 2. Etc.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m