Why are there Canadian roundels? A new rule perhaps?

• @Brain:

The Canadian roundels are there purely for the recognition of Canada’s contribution to the Allied effort.

Stop spamming, dude  :|

• @Yoper:

I will tell you that during the playtesting we never even questioned the existence of the separate Canadian roundels.  I would say that we were too busy with other, more pressing issues, but also it just never occurred to us.

Well, you don’t need any testing to know that a simbol that has no use in game must be deleted or must receive an use. It’s like in AA50 japanese roundels on Kiangsu and Manchuria: their only use in game is confuse players (in fact, I have a dude in my FTF group that continues annoying us saying that those territories are original japanese, go figure) and they should have been removed (well, i think that removing the chinese roundel on Manchuria and keeping the jap one was more historical, and also removing ridiculous ACME walls). Canadian roundels will only serve to confuse some stubborn UK players that will think that they can continue buying stuff at Canada after London’s fall (that in fact is much more logical than current rules)

It was not so difficult deleting the canadian roundels or making a more logical split Canada/UK. A interesting point: check AAP40 game manual, there is a picture of gameboard where Canada is only one territory and has a more logical UK simbol

The most probable truth: canadian roundels are there just because someone forgot deleting them. I might be wrong, but the explanation given to us seems a cheap excuse

• I don’t see the big deal with the Canadian roundels.  They’re easy enough to ignore.

I’ve been mulling over house rules, and I think I’m going to allow the British to spend any IPCs they have at any British factory on either map.  They’ll have 4 factories total:  Major IC in Britain and Minor ICs in Canada, South Africa, and India.  And maybe put a limit of 5 times the IPC value of the territory on any single unit built at a minor IC.  For instance, if the IPC value of the territory is 2, a minor IC can’t build any single unit that costs more than 10.  If the territory has a value of 3, then a minor IC can’t build a unit that costs more than 15.

I’ll downgrade the factory in India to a minor IC to keep them from spamming large numbers of tanks, which I assume is one of the reasons the designers kept Pacific map IPCs separate from European map IPCs (That and the unrealistic prospect of battleships being cranked out in India).  But, if the British really really really want to crank out battleships or hordes of tanks, they can invest in an upgrade for the Indian factory to a major IC.

• @almashir:

I don’t see the big deal with the Canadian roundels.  They’re easy enough to ignore.

But that’s the point: they are not so easy of ignore, and anyway they serve for no purpose. They should be deleted or receive a use

For tank spamming at India in case of no split or Canada/UK split: if UK spends too much at India, they will face serious problems at Europe, specially early… and now tanks cost 6, remember it. It should be player’s choice, and anyway as said many times, a minor IC there will fix the issue

• The Canadian roundels were there purely for the recognition of Canada’s contribution to the Allied effort, but now they have become something all together different. Here is their roundel. Print as many of these as you want and place them on top of your existing UK roundels.

Paint some UK soldiers red and call them Canadian.
    During initial set up use Canadian troops in Canada.
    Place one factory in Canada if one doesn’t already exist.
    Create seperate Canadian economy based on value of Canadian territories while deducting from UK economy.
    Take turn at same time as UK.
    And now be happy.

• The Canadian roundels are there purely because someone forgot delete them. They serve only to one purpose: confuse players

We can do much of the stuff you are suggesting and many of us will do so in our FTF games, but for tourney games or against players that simply refuse to use house rules, we are going to suffer that ilogical East Canada+UK+West India/East India+West Canada split that potentially can break the game. AA50 is here since a year ago and China and India still are not fixed in any way, even when facts show in a very stubborn way that those areas need a fix (specially China, her rules and her setup). They are not going to be fixed and many of us don’t want asian theater broken again or the useless roundels there because probably will not get any fix

• Official Q&A

Brain Damaged is correct.  The Canadian roundels are there simply to pay tribute to Canada’s contribution to the Allied war effort.  They are not a mistake.  There was supposed to be a reference to them in the AAP40 Rulebook, but it was left out and subsequently added to the FAQ.  This reference will be in the AAE40 Rulebook.

• @Krieghund:

Brain Damaged is correct.  The Canadian roundels are there simply to pay tribute to Canada’s contribution to the Allied war effort.  They are not a mistake.

They are a mistake because they should not be there if they have no use. Please, delete them, give us stickers with AAE40 box or give them a use before the game is released: they are confusing players even in AAP40, where some people forget count canadian IPC to UK’s total, and this is going to get worst with global and Europe versions

• hey theres no need for name calling. this isnt that type of forum. they were put there for fun, you guys are taking these things way to seriously

• I think there was going to be a Canadian power in early stages of development like when pacific was released and then they decided against it. I’m canadian and love Canada but cmink calm down. Besides I rather like the roundels.

• TripleA

@cminke:

for some reason my posts disapear, so i cant see exactly what i said, but i was just a LITTLE MAD TH

imperious leader deleted your post. you made personal attacks and used derogatory language.

• I seriously hope that this “recognition” thing is a foreshadowing of a new and better game with Canada

• This thread served its purpose which was none… based on 11 pages of god knows what followed by even worse.

In the future try to avoid using  :-o :? 8-) :lol: :x :-P :cry: :roll: as the primary means to convey your one sentence message that also contains many spelling errors. Yes i know your also like 5 others from Canada, are 12 years old, and play hockey… but still.

The thread is getting close to being closed due to many off topic posts, but the bottom line is  AAG40 will not have dedicated Canadian forces and i have no idea why it takes 100’s of posts to get to that conclusion.

Stay on topic.

• I resent my deleted post. I was completely on topic and broke no rules. I do not play hockey. I am not 12 years old. And I live in Texas. And despite all of this I still want Canada!!!. And if it takes 100 posts to get my (and i suppose all of the 5 year old canadian hockey players) point across then so be it. Bottom line and answer to the forum question… Larry put Canadian roundels on the board to ignite popular rebellion for the Canadian cause. My theory was that he really wanted Canada as a power, but was held at gunpoint by Gloating Australians (who were so happy at finally being superior to Canada and wanted to keep it that way) and was forced to come up with this “recognition” statement. It’s really a secret message for Canadian supporters to unite.  :-D

• Brain Damaged is correct.  The Canadian roundels are there simply to pay tribute to Canada’s contribution to the Allied war effort.

• I was not referring to you fire knight. But i did remove off topic posts and some rather strange posts… lets just call them ‘head scratchers’.

• I’m Canadian and I turned 12 when Canada celebrated our centennial (Canada is now 143 years old); Lester Pearson was our Prime Minister, Lyndon Johnson was in the White House and man hadn’t landed on the moon yet. I just needed to establish that, and as a teacher in my other life, I’m happy to see young people get involved in a wonderful game.  On topic, I’m quite happy with the recognition, I think I was one of the first to suggest it would be just a recognition thing.

As far as people getting confused with the Canadian roundel and not treating it as British for income totals, just put a British roundel over top.  It’s not a huge issue.  I do the reverse.  I’ve made my own Canadian roundels ( roughly by hand of course being an old guy) and I place those on top of the British roundels where there are any in Canada.  I use a different coloured unit or mark British units as Canadians. Other than that they are British units. When I play solataire I give Canadian and, by the way, Australian and South African infantry an attack of 2, based on the fact that the Commonwealth forces from these countries were volunteers and had higher morale.  (Advanced Squad Leader gives CW troops higher morale as well.)  I also give this 2 attack to German SS and American and Japanese marines.

In following this thread I do have a concern about recognizing one country by putting down another as has happened. Canadians can be proud of what our soldiers and civilians did, but so can the citizens of Australia, India and wherever else.  Given that, putting too many different roundels on the board could get confusing.

As for Canada, or Finland or the Balkan states being a separate power, I think it would be a mistake and complicate the game far too much.  In fact, I would rather see only three power groups: Soviet Union, Axis and Allies.  I think all the Allies should play at the same time except the Soviet Union and all the Axis play at the same time.  The US and British forces should move and attack as one, as they really did in Europe, based on the scale of this game. The same with Germany and Italy.  The only separation would be national income levels for the major countries (Japan, USSR, Italy, USA, UK) and placement of units in their own country. This placement would include placement of minor forces in Canada, Finland, the Balkans and all other minor countries aligned with a major country.  However, this would be a fundamental change in the game and is not likely to happen.

As for recognition to Canada, I suggest to my fellow Canadians, appreciate it.  I registered with this forum after reading it for some time, because of the “Canadian” topics and that it seemed to generate a lot of interest.  I’ll stay because of my interest in the game.  Besides BD makes me laugh.  What does that say about me?

• @mike55:

As far as people getting confused with the Canadian roundel and not treating it as British for income totals, just put a British roundel over top

You have a point, specially if all players in the group are reasonable (wich is not a sure thing, but that’s another history). Then I guess we need make Indian markers to do the same for Pacific side (I guess there will not be Indian markers included in AAE40)

Not perfect but I guess that’s the better we’ll get OOB :|

• TL;DR……i think the Canadian soapbox has been stood on for so long its bound to break…We have rehashed this over and over…its getting into a long tirade about “who is better” seriously guys…lets just drop the Canada discussion its stale and boring.

• @mike55:

Besides BD makes me laugh. What does that say about me?

At least somebody gets my sense of humor. As for what it says about you–— I don’t think you want to know. :-D

By the way. I love Canada. I am just not sure that it would make the game better.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m