• '19

Based partly on some of my own ideas and partly after having listened to most of Wintermute’s videos with Jinx, I’ve come up with some adjustments to existing units and a (hopefully) interesting Armored Car implementation. None of this has been playtested at all, these are just ideas at this point.

Light Armor:

• Gain an “Early Blitz” ability allowing them to perform Blitzes, but nothing may pair with them for this until Medium Armor become available.
    • Additionally, when Medium Armor are available, Light Armor can upgrade to Self-Propelled Artillery or Tank Destroyer for 2 IPP.
    • Rationale: Based mostly on Germany’s performance in early WW2, their blitzes were executed almost entirely by light armor. As regards the upgrades, again following Germany’s experience, as newer armored vehicles became available older ones were repurposed into various tank destroyers and self-propelled artillery. Panzer III became the famous StuG III, Panzer IV were modifed to become the Hummel self-propelled artillery or Nashorn tank destroyer, for example.

Self-Propelled Artillery:

• Become available same date as Medium Armor
    • Rationale: I’m not 100% tied to this one, but I figured creating some unit gating behind a certain date will help new players as they’ll have fewer unit types to bother with in the first several turns.

Cavalry:

• Now limited to 2 per turn for Major Powers, no built limits for Minor Powers.
    • Rationale: Cavalry are the most cost efficient attacker, don’t require research, or inexpensive (and therefore spammable), and get to ignore mountain movement penalty. Limiting to building 2 per turn significantly reduces the potential for abuse.

Armored Car:

• Attack 3, Defense 2, Movement 2 (3), Cost 3, Max 2 per turn
    • Wheeled Vehicles: May move 3 in non-combat
    • Reconnaissance: Negates First Strike from Artillery and Self-Propelled Artillery
    • Rationale: Limited to 2 per turn for most of the same reasons as Cavalry. I’m not 100% sure on the Reconnaissance ability, I might want it to only be effective while Attacking and not Defending. Reconnaissance ability was intended to represent historical use in recon and screening. Wheeled vehicles have better on-road performance than tracked vehicles so wanted to represent this.

Motorized Infantry:

• Towing (just a rewording of this ability): May tow any Artillery-class unit with a base movement of 1, imparting its movement onto the towed unit.
    • Wheeled Vehicles: May move 3 in non-combat (including while towing)
    • Rationale: Towing reword because I wanted to prevent Self-Propelled Artillery from being towed (which would be silly), and because I’m considering adding Anti-Tank as a new unit, basically a slow (towable) version of a Tank Destroyer.

In general I’m also considering making terrain movement penalties irrelevant for non-combat movement, the idea being that if you’re making a non-combat movement you likely already control the road infrastructure and can ignore the actual terrain.

Thoughts?

• @rellhaiser very cool! I’d try those rules I think with a few little tweaks like 1ipp upgrade fr light tank to tank destroyer, 2 for SP artillery still seems like tank destroyers never get built enough, at least in our games. Love the idea of non mobile anti tank guns! What if your armoured car rec. ability was you could instead pair with artillery for a +1 attack for artillery first round only? And to be honest would keep the non combat movement the same as it is I think that would be a big change, maybe it would be alright though. Just some opinions, for what it’s worth. What would your anti tank gun stats be like?

• @rellhaiser also I think motorized still not good enough think mech infantry cost the same and it’s way better. You can always use the railroads to move your artillery up 99% of the time. But a step in the right direction

• Try giving your Armored Cars a retreat ability - so they can run when they’re under attack.

Cavalry Withdrawal: After one round of battle the Defender may withdraw one surviving Armored Car unit to any adjacent friendly territory. After the second round the Defender may withdraw a second Car unit to any adjacent territory (this can be a different territory from the first round). The Armored Car unit always gets its defensive shot in before it withdraws. If it withdraws it must do so before the Attacker starts the next round of battle.

I originally wrote up these rules for my variant rules for Classic A&A, available here.

-M_R

• '19

@linkler said in Land Unit Adjustments:

@rellhaiser very cool! I’d try those rules I think with a few little tweaks like 1ipp upgrade fr light tank to tank destroyer, 2 for SP artillery still seems like tank destroyers never get built enough, at least in our games. Love the idea of non mobile anti tank guns! What if your armoured car rec. ability was you could instead pair with artillery for a +1 attack for artillery first round only? And to be honest would keep the non combat movement the same as it is I think that would be a big change, maybe it would be alright though. Just some opinions, for what it’s worth. What would your anti tank gun stats be like?

• Fair enough on the upgrade cost from Light Armor to Tank Destroyer. I really think Tank Destroyers should be allowed to pair for Blitzing. The justification given in the rules for units being allowed to Blitz even mentioned being protected from small arms due to armour, and this should indeed apply to Tank Destroyers as they are indeed armoured.
    • For the anti-tank artillery, I was thinking to base them on the Tank Destroyer, just with a movement of 1 and cost 4 instead of 5 IPP to keep them simple.
    • Armoured cars giving artillery a +1 on attack is actually a great idea, and devalues artillery less than cancelling First Strike would.
    • For the Motorized infantry… I think the simplest and most straightforward way of making them better is to just let them benefit of the +1 bonus from artillery when Attacking.

In general I still think non-combat movement should be unaffected by terrain penalties though.

• @rellhaiser I would say on a 10-12 All Calvary are forced to retreat during a battle, both attacker and defender, but no limit on purchases. They are not limited to 2. This gives them a little risk bringing them into battle.

• @rellhaiser 👌 @Adalwolf like that idea too someone might call you out on that though like what is that based on did Calvary units retreat a lot?

• @adalwolf said in Land Unit Adjustments:

@rellhaiser I would say on a 10-12 All Calvary are forced to retreat during a battle, both attacker and defender, but no limit on purchases. They are not limited to 2. This gives them a little risk bringing them into battle.

The idea was that you could retreat one of your Cavalry / Armored Cars every turn you battled in that territory - this just gave you a way to have some units slip out from a losing battle. There’s nothing saying you couldn’t have a set of rules that allowed a player to retreat all of their Cavalry / Armored Cars any turn they liked - I just wrote a different set of rules. You do you.

-M_R

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m