Terrains modifiers that affect land units movements

• @spartantom
    Your scenario was what happens when an armor unit moves from Aquitaine to Southern France and tries to go on to Northern Italy. We never clarified if Southern France is friendly or enemy-possessed. I assumed we were talking about Southern France being friendly because in Global War 1936-1945, you cannot “blitz” through an empty territory like you can in Axis & Allies. Let’s just make sure we are all on the same page that in your armor movement example, Southern France is friendly. In Global War 1936-1945, if both Southern France and Northern Italy were enemy-possessed, then moving on to Northern Italy during combat movement would be illegal.

In your armor movement scenario, are we talking about Southern France being friendly? If so, then when the armor moves from Southern France to Northern Italy, you do not face a river penalty.

In your armor movement scenario, if Southern France is enemy-possessed, you could combat move into it, but could not blitz to Northern Italy due to the rule on Page 8, 1.8 Mountains, “Units cannot blitz across an Enemy Mountain border or into Mountain terrain.”

• @spartantom said in Terrains modifiers that affect land units movements:

@hbg-gw-enthusiast
    Yes of course, I know that. My question was: since @theveteran says the second move is roundel to roundel, do you get the river penalty in addition since there is a river in Southern France when you go from Aquitaine to Northern Italy? So, the movement isn’t allowed since there is a mountain at the border however, if I understood well, if you have a cavalry in Aquitaine and you possess Southern France if you do a combat move into Northern Italy through Southern France you will suffer river penalty (on the first round obviously) since there is a river between the roundels and you have to consider all terrain modifier that are between the roundels for the second movement.

If you have a cavalry in Aquitaine and Southern France is friendly, then you do not face a river penalty when moving to Northern Italy.

@theveteran Do you agree with me here about the cavalry not facing the river penalty in this situation? If so, then I think you should reverse your opinion about an armor moving from Aquitaine through a friendly Southern France into Northern Italy.

• @hbg-gw-enthusiast terrain still affects you in friendly territory, that doesn’t change anything : you are still crossing a River with the cavalry and will face the River penalty. - friendly territory doesn’t mean the terrain is magically flat , or magically ignored when traveling through it. For example tanks do not move 2 when moving in Russia through the mountains when all territories are Soviet controlled (in the east) .

• @theveteran said in Terrains modifiers that affect land units movements:

@hbg-gw-enthusiast terrain still affects you in friendly territory, that doesn’t change anything : you are still crossing a River with the cavalry and will face the River penalty.

1. It’s July, 1939 and you are a neutral Germany. You declare war on Belgium and attack with units from West Germany. You believe you face the river penalty?

2. Same situation, but you bring a medium armor from Berlin. Do you believe that armor incurs the river penalty?

@hbg-gw-enthusiast terrain still affects you in friendly territory, that doesn’t change anything : you are still crossing a River with the cavalry and will face the River penalty. - friendly territory doesn’t mean the terrain is magically flat , or magically ignored when traveling through it. For example tanks do not move 2 when moving in Russia through the mountains when all territories are Soviet controlled (in the east) .

Page 9, 1.12 Rivers, “Land units that must cross river artwork in the attacked land zone before reaching the roundel in that land zone are subject to river rules.”

• @hbg-gw-enthusiast

1. There is no penalty because you started in west Germany. The territory you begin in doesn’t effect movement. / combat .

2. Yes the River penalty would occur because you crossed a river during movement.

@hbg-gw-enthusiast

1. There is no penalty because you started in west Germany. The territory you begin in doesn’t effect movement. / combat .

2. Yes the River penalty would occur because you crossed a river during movement.

See my post back on page 1, put in like a second before you.

• @hbg-gw-enthusiast hmm okay rivers rules read a bit differently than mountain rules. So that would mean there is no penalty when crossing the River in Southern France IF friendly before combat moves.

• @theveteran No problem.

Ok, now back to mountainous borders. I’m not saying terrain is magically flat if it is friendly. The way you can be certain that I don’t believe that is to scroll back and read where I said if the armor were in Northern Italy and moving through a friendly Southern France, it would not be allowed to continue on to Aquitaine the same turn.

I’m saying that when a land zone is friendly, then border terrain doesn’t start affecting you until the moment you cross the border. And the river rules give a hint that my perspective may be the correct one.

Sidenote on Game Design: There are two ways game designers can approach movement costs: walls or quicksand. With the walls approach, you are not permitted to move unless you have sufficient movement. If I understand Global War’s system, it is a quicksand one. You are allowed to go in, but then get penalized and stuck. This is the way I conceptualize it. I may be wrong, but I know Morten’s approach in general is to give the player choices with consequences. Other game designers forbid players from doing things.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m