Terrains modifiers that affect land units movements

• @hbg-gw-enthusiast

1. There is no penalty because you started in west Germany. The territory you begin in doesn’t effect movement. / combat .

2. Yes the River penalty would occur because you crossed a river during movement.

• @theveteran said in Terrains modifiers that affect land units movements:

@hbg-gw-enthusiast

1. There is no penalty because you started in west Germany. The territory you begin in doesn’t effect movement. / combat .

2. Yes the River penalty would occur because you crossed a river during movement.

See my post back on page 1, put in like a second before you.

• @hbg-gw-enthusiast hmm okay rivers rules read a bit differently than mountain rules. So that would mean there is no penalty when crossing the River in Southern France IF friendly before combat moves.

• @theveteran No problem.

Ok, now back to mountainous borders. I’m not saying terrain is magically flat if it is friendly. The way you can be certain that I don’t believe that is to scroll back and read where I said if the armor were in Northern Italy and moving through a friendly Southern France, it would not be allowed to continue on to Aquitaine the same turn.

I’m saying that when a land zone is friendly, then border terrain doesn’t start affecting you until the moment you cross the border. And the river rules give a hint that my perspective may be the correct one.

Sidenote on Game Design: There are two ways game designers can approach movement costs: walls or quicksand. With the walls approach, you are not permitted to move unless you have sufficient movement. If I understand Global War’s system, it is a quicksand one. You are allowed to go in, but then get penalized and stuck. This is the way I conceptualize it. I may be wrong, but I know Morten’s approach in general is to give the player choices with consequences. Other game designers forbid players from doing things.

Suggested Topics

I Will Never Grow Up Games
Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures
Dean's Army Guys

Users

Topics

1.6m