Why is 1942 scenario so unpopular???

• I have a new KJF '42 that will hopefully turn Japan into a mosh pit.  I’m going to try it out next week.

A note on balanced 1942: Giving China 2 more infantry to protect the Flying Tiger (a Larry Harris House Rule) allows China to actually last past turn 2.

• @Upside-down_Turtle:

I have a new KJF '42 that will hopefully turn Japan into a mosh pit.  I’m going to try it out next week.

A note on balanced 1942: Giving China 2 more infantry to protect the Flying Tiger (a Larry Harris House Rule) allows China to actually last past turn 2.

Yeah that pisses me off, China had the largest population, but gets like 8 Infantry scattered out.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@Upside-down_Turtle:

I have a new KJF '42 that will hopefully turn Japan into a mosh pit.  I’m going to try it out next week.

Dont need to give them more inf, just NCM two of them to Yunnan or redeploy the fighter to the rear.

• @Cmdr:

@Upside-down_Turtle:

Dont need to give them more inf, just NCM two of them to Yunnan or redeploy the fighter to the rear.

I agree, although 2 more inf is OK if it’s considered a bid of 6….

I don’t even attack Yunnan on J1 anyway.  I only do it occasionally.  I’m not convinced it’s really Japan’s best move, like I thought in my first 10-15 games.  I’ve had it backfire before, too.  It’s not a sure thing that 3 infantry and 2 fighters can take it.  I think it’s a better idea to take 3-4 fighters at Z35 (I’ve had disastrous results even with 3 fighters, carrier and BB, so usually take in 4 fighters).  Bry is also a very key target not only to reduce Russian units and income, but to force Russia to take it back if the USA is going to have a landing place 1 space from Z62.  Obviously it’s nice to take out the irreplaceable fighter that is the only offense that doesn’t roll on a 1 for China.  But it can’t leave China.  It is more important in my opinion to focus on the other 3 Allies, who can re-deploy their units on their first turn.  It is also important to keep from losing more than 1-2 non-infantry, non-sub units.

Oh, another huge reason to not attack Yunnan.  You can take India J2 with near 100% success only if you don’t attack Yunnan.  In fact, you’ll walk into India, because the UK player is not going to want you to have 90% or higher odds on his 4 infantry, AA gun, and 2 fighters.

Those flying tigers sitting there with 2 infantry in Yunnan on J1 are awfully tempting.  But I’m pretty sure now it’s a good idea to leave them alone.

I agree, somewhat.  My only reservation is that the Flying Tiger can be a real pain in the patooey if Russia reinforces China.  Otherwise, without it, Russia has to invest more in China’s defense (since I presume you want the fighters on the front lines, this means more tanks and infantry to make up for it.)

Just my opinion

• I’m not for Russian reinforcement, but that just may be my circumstance.  The games I play only last about 4-5 turns, and Russian infantry in China is a long term investment.  Too few infantry over too long a period.

While taking out the Flying Tiger on J1 may or may not be “optimal”, I still think 2 more infantry in Yunnan is a good fix.

But yeah, China had, what, 300 divisions?  How many is that in infantry pieces?  That comes too…33 infantry conservatively.

I’ve had Russia liberate India or reinforce chihang.  But then, I do a lot of America vs Japan games (both sending and receiving) so it usually works out to send 3 armor, 5 infnatry that way, just as a stop gap.

• @Cmdr:

I’ve had Russia liberate India or reinforce chihang.  But then, I do a lot of America vs Japan games (both sending and receiving) so it usually works out to send 3 armor, 5 infnatry that way, just as a stop gap.

How can Russia do that, aren’t they too busy against the Germans.

• @Dylan:

@Cmdr:

How can Russia do that, aren’t they too busy against the Germans.

e.g.
    For PBF
    NCM:

2 inf Kazakh to Persia
    2 inf Novo to Chi

For actual board
    Pick up infantry, move to adjacent territory of choice, set down carefully.

Okay, Russia won’t be lost if they siphon off a handful of infantry east. The loss of infantry may mean Russia can’t hold Belo or Eastern Ukraine a few turns in, yes, weakening her position. It’s a sacrifice that may need to be made if the Allies won’t accept losing India or Chi.

Tangent?

Honestly, I’ll give up one or two of the Eastern Blok to stop Japan from stacking in Novosibirsk or Kazakh.  If I can slow them down in Chihang or India, that means I can have more tanks facing the Germans.

• '16 '15 '10

To bring the discussion back to 42, I’ll throw this out there.  I have a hard time winning as Allies without China playing some sort of role.  This may be nothing more than retreating back to Chi and holding there.  Or it may involve actually going on the offensive if the Japs are busy elsewhere on the board.

But bottom line is Chi/Per is an essential defensive position in a 42 KGF game.  In the mid/late game, Russia can use tanks moving between Cauc/Rus/Per/Chi for flexible mobile defense, while Japan has to choose either India or China for its main push.  This is a nice tactical advantage for the Allies.

I don’t usually play the same tactics for 41 since in my experience China falls so quick that holding Chi and trying to reinforce it just give the Jap air force some easy kills and weakens Russia’s offensive in Europe.

• the discussion has been 42, but has gone into strategy.

When AA50 first came out, 41 was new and unbroken ground.  Now that some time has passed, I think 42 is still the Axis and Allies setup to play, only with bigger board!  The addition of Italy for a 3 vs 3 game makes it balanced.  Short games still favor Axis and long games still favor Allies.  It’s how it should be.

Can’t wait for G40!!!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m