Should Germany take Egypt first turn?

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I don’t see national objectives as optional.  Without them, you need a bid to be Axis, IMHO.  Maybe even a bid for Russia as well, since you are effectively reducing Russia’s income by 5 IPC a round every round. (Rare is it Arkhangelsk falls before Moscow in my opinion.)

That said, Soviets can too survive in 1941 without Allied landings on Red Territories.  However, there are times the temporary loss of 5 IPC income for Russia is bearable because the gain of landing units in Russian territories is greater.

These times include, but are not limited too:

1)  Valid Landing Zones so you can attack high value targets of opportunity which make the game easier for you.
    2)  Arkhangelsk is falling anyway, and you need British/American troops in Russia NOW.

• I don’t see national objectives as optional.  Without them, you need a bid to be Axis, IMHO.  Maybe even a bid for Russia as well, since you are effectively reducing Russia’s income by 5 IPC a round every round. (Rare is it Arkhangelsk falls before Moscow in my opinion.)

WHAT??? in 1941 the axis need a bid??? huh? 1941 is kinda broken for allies IMO.

That said, Soviets can too survive in 1941 without Allied landings on Red Territories.  However, there are times the temporary loss of 5 IPC income for Russia is bearable because the gain of landing units in Russian territories is greater.

These times include, but are not limited too:

1)  Valid Landing Zones so you can attack high value targets of opportunity which make the game easier for you.
    2)  Arkhangelsk is falling anyway, and you need British/American troops in Russia NOW.

I don’t see this at all. In 41 the Allies need to land and retake karelia and establish the Soviet player. Under my system German tanks can take advantage of the new maps territories to centralize and strike at north or south in one turn, which weakens the Soviet player, unless the brits can lend a hand.

Russia can liberate Karelia pretty well on their own.

Without NOs, the allies are down 20-30 IPC a round that’s a huge swing really.

Also, Germany should be repairing from SBR campaigns every round.  Russia should easily be able to stand on her own if Germany is taking Factory damage.

• Honestly IL I’ve had people use your tank strat against me and Russia can survive just fine, its the Italian can opener that really scares me with russia, so many things to worry about.

Italy can be a pain in the arse, that’s why I recommend killing the Italian fleet regardless of cost as soon as possible.  Stops a lot of the annoyances the Italians can do.

• Honestly IL I’ve had people use your tank strat against me and Russia can survive just fine, its the Italian can opener that really scares me with russia, so many things to worry about.

you could not have because my 41 strategy map does not even indicate any great emphasis on Africa. My prior posts are merely discussion on how it would be possible to do something and not whether you should at all. I think Italy really needs to also head over to support the Germans, because under my actual idea italy just shadows the German conquests in southern Russia and also is used as this can opener idea.

Africa in G1 or G2 is a total waste IMO. The only thing they need to do is tie up the British assets as defender, and turn into a elite commando raiding unit where they land troops for a few turns before they get cleaned out like a platter of meatballs.

• Sorry IL I am another that has seen your German Tank strat run out of gas on the frozen steps as well.

• LOL!

you used it correctly ( by the book?)  yes?

I think part of the problem is when you originally posted the idea, you were assuming Italy was trading 1 infantry for 3 Shore Bombardments and that’s since been clarified to be illegal in this version.

• I think part of the problem is when you originally posted the idea, you were assuming Italy was trading 1 infantry for 3 Shore Bombardments and that’s since been clarified to be illegal in this version.

no no i was not . I had the option of a G2 attack on Egypt when the odds of greater than 30% could be achieved.

however i do advise that Italy buys a DD on I1, but if UK does not buy bombers, then Italy should buy another transport on I2

But im sorry to see the tank push fail, but then again i think the exact moves were not followed, because if they were i feel it gives the Germans the best options.

Also, consider that i propose 2 forms of play: fast=tanks, or slow= CV and Infantry… so the tank thing is not exactly the same or only option.

• With 12 IPC bombers a German CV is a waste of 14 IPCs. I have tried it in more than 1 game and it just isn’t worth it. As far as round 1 purchases go I have found 7 infantry and 1 fighter suits my style best.

Not sure if the tank rushes I have seen were properly executed or not as I would have to look at it again. Its not something  I would do. I feel the Axis is not under the kind of pressure they were under in previous games and should not throw the game away by making early risky attacks.

• 2007 AAR League

@Imperious:

The Soviets cant survive in 41 w/o help and secondly, thats an optional rule and we are not using them for this example.

I know the Soviets can’t survive without help. If you take away one of their NO’s for a couple critical early turns their situation doesn’t get any better even if the Italian fleet gets sunk.

And we don’t have to include NO’s, but without them the Axis is severly hampered. The Axis relies heavily on NO’s early in the game. Much more so than the Allies do. Just a rough calculation says that the Axis earns about 25-40 IPC’s from NO’s and the Allies about 10-20 in the first few rounds. If you didn’t play with NO’s in 41’, then the Axis would probably need a bid like the Commander suggested.

And that can easily be overcome by buying 2 bombers on UK1 and a factory in India, then on UK2 buy 3 bombers and place them in India, then on UK3 you got 5 bombers and even more fighters and nothing can be done. You see their is a million ways to kill the Italian fleet if its the determination of the British player to do this. Italy can do anything about it.

If Japan sees that the UK built an IC in India and 2 bombers in the UK on UK1, they would be able to set themselves up on J2 for a massive strike on India on J3. 3 inf, 1 art, 3 bmb isn’t a very strong defensive position and I would definitely send fighters against the AA with the prospect of taking out 3 bombers.

I’m not going to try to calculate how much Japanese hardware can hit India on J3 because it would vary based on casualties taken in the first 2 turns, but it likely includes an equal or better amount of ground units; probably 1 BB, 1 CA; and a lot of fighters.

Plus UK can bomb Italy and deprive its carrier build…

problem overcome.

If I see that the UK builds bombers anyway even after I attack Egypt on G1, then I know that the UK will be unable to mount an attack on the fleet until UK3 at the earliest, so I can just save my first turn income which would amout to a total of at least 21 IPC’s which is enough to build the CV even with maximum damage to the IC.

If the UK doesn’t SBR Italy, I can just build the CV and fighter at the same time on I2.

And if the UK does SBR Italy on UK2, not only are they exposing their bombers to AA fire risking a weaker attack on the fleet, but I can still build the CV and put 1 fighter on it and then Germany can provide the second fighter before the UK moves in for it’s attack.

ok so i move the tank(s) over and it still can reach Egypt in one turn.

problem overcome.

Yes, but those armored unit in Algeria can’t hit Trans-Jordan which is where the UK units would be if Germany doesn’t attack Egypt on G1.

And there is one more thing you have to take into consideration. If you use the bomber against the UK BB in sz2, it can’t reach Egypt or Trans-Jordan for an attack on G2. And if you use the bomber against the sz12 units then you have to send both sz7 SS with the Norway fighter against the sz2 BB to make sure it sinks, and that puts you at risk of losing a fighter in sz12 against the UK CA, DD.

Germany simply does not have enough units to accomplish all of it’s G1 tasks. Either you have to prioritize and let some Allied units survive or you can spread yourself thin in a few battles and risk heavier than expected casualties. And if you set Germany up to attack Egypt or T-J on G2 you will be taking some German aircraft away from Russia for 2 maybe 3 turns and that only helps the Russians stabilize their front. I, myself, prefer to have the German bomber hit Egypt on G1 and then leave Africa solely to the Italians after that.

I think the Norway fighter for SZ 12 is not needed 505.  2 Submarines and a bomber should be more than capable of sinking SZ 12.  Remember, if the defender elects to lose the destroyer first round, you have a shot at sinking the cruiser without loss in the second round!

(For this reason, in face to face games, I always fire attacker, ask for defender casualties then left defender fire.)

• 2007 AAR League

@Cmdr:

I think the Norway fighter for SZ 12 is not needed 505.  2 Submarines and a bomber should be more than capable of sinking SZ 12.  Remember, if the defender elects to lose the destroyer first round, you have a shot at sinking the cruiser without loss in the second round!

(For this reason, in face to face games, I always fire attacker, ask for defender casualties then left defender fire.)

Funny you should say that. In my game with TC, he attacked sz12 with 1 bmb, 1 fig, 2 SS and lost everything for nothing. I had to reimburse him for the bomber and trade him the CA, DD for the 2 SS, 1 fig or else the game would have been over because he had just lost 1/3 of the German air force and I was positioned to hit the Italian fleet with the UK. Good thing for him it wasn’t a league game.  :-D

Actually what I was saying was that if IL wanted to position maximum German aircraft for a G2 attack on T-J, then he would have to let the sz2 BB live or risk spreading himself too thin, but I’m beginning to notice that a lot of people are not even going after the UK BB anyway so it might be a moot point.

Granted, at times the dice can be finiky.  For me, the problem is Baltic States.  I can attack with Everything and I mean EVERYTHING Germany has to bear and Russia will still have 1 Infantry left after all the Germans are destroyed.

I wouldn’t plan on that being the result, but it will be!

• in 41 you attack Baltic with 4 infantry 1 art and 1 tank vs. 3 inf

4 tanks and inf on east Poland vs. 2 infantry

and

2 inf, 1 tank, 1 art vs. Ukraine vs. 2 infantry

Italy shadows the Ukraine force with 1 tank and 1 inf  and fighter in black sea. They build a destroyer to protect from UK bomber, but if uk builds bombers, they save or buy 2 tanks or 1 fighter.

Normally, I attack Baltic States with 3 Infantry, 2 Armor.  This SHOULD result in taking it with 1 or 2 infantry and 2 armor.  So far, I’ve lost Baltic States with Russia holding it with 1 infantry or more EVERY BLASTED GAME (or so it feels) after completely annihilating the Germans!

• well if you follow my attack plan and also land a tank and infantry in NCM and just send out the sub to kill the UK DD, then it will hold. no matter what in 1941

• It seems to me that if Germany does not take out Egypt on G1 then it is very easy for UK to prevent Germany/Italy from taking it out Africa altogether.  Simply build three bombers on UK1, leave one inf behind in Egypt and then put everything else that you can on Trans-Jordan (except your original bomber that is needed to attack the German cruiser in the Baltic Sea).  If Italy then attacks Egypt in force then you still own the Trans-Jordan and your four bombers and fighter take out their fleet and then your remaining bombers and two inf from South Africa will finish off the rest of their troops (not to mention you could land troops in Morocco).  About the only thing Italy could do to try to stop it is do a suicide run against Trans-Jordan and hope that both of his bombardments and both of his land units get hits, softening up Trans-Jordan for an attack by Germany.  But that would really be counting on a lot of luck.

Now of course, all of the above assumes that Germany did not send any air units to Libya on G1.  But I think that would be a huge mistake on Germany’s part.  Those air units are desperately needed to take out most of the UK navy.  That UK transport in SZ 9 is already most likely to survive.  If you land air units in Libya after they’ve attacked the destroyer and cruiser in SZ 12 then there is a very good chance that the battleship and/or transport in SZ 2 survived.  Your not going to get a second chance to take out those transports and now UK is able to invade either France or NW Europe with four land units on UK 1.  If I were the UK player in that situation, I would build two more transports and six land units and be ready to invade Europe even more forcibly on UK 2.  The USA player could also build transports and by turn 3 reinforce the UK player with land and air units  Sure, Germany and Italy might actually take out a large part of Africa then but the allies landing troops in Europe every turn takes a huge burden off of Russia by forcing Germany to keep any builds made in Germany attacking/defending in the West.  So any gains made in Africa will be lost by Germany losing Norway, Finland and any territories that Russia manages to retake.

So in summary, I guess it’s probably best for Germany and Italy to not even try to take out Africa.  Perhaps their best bet is to put just enough pressure in Africa to try to tie up the allied units long enough to where Japan could take it out.

• Should Germany take Egypt first turn?

Yes, of course!
    Without an attack of the german africa-korps, the italians will never be able to take Cairo - at least not in Round 1.
    Additionaly, you place your transport in a good spot for further attacks in russia or africa should it survive. There is a good chance of destroying all british forces in Egypt and even the possibility of conquering it. Furthermore it opens up opportunities for Italy in africa - even though italian assistance may be better applied in russia.

Should germany commit planes in Egypt?
    No! germanys 1st turn is the most important turn of the whole game. Commiting the german bomber just to destroy one plane is a misplacement of forces. The german airforce should IMHO be commited to destroy the royal navy.

1. Send 1 submarine, 1 fighter, one bomber to seazone 2 to sink the Hood and its transport
    2. Send 1 submarine, 2 fighters to seazone 12 to sink 1 cruiser, 1 destroyer
    3. Send 1 submarine, 1 fighter to seazone 6 to sink 1 destroyer

The germans should build an aircraft carrier. With these attacks, the british player has to rebuild the navy from space one without the royal air force being able to sink the german fleet.

(Side note - building a destroyer and subs might also repel the royal air force bringing losses to the RAF and the subs diving after losing the surface ships. Building a battleship and a submarine is extremely expensive. I still propose building the carrier as it will allow the transport to survive.)

British 3 bomber built. (and sinking the italian navy in B2)
    Sinking the italian navy does not threaten the german. If the german built one additional transport in his second turn the second british built will have to fortify the United Kingdom. The italian will start putting out infantry and relieve the german forces from defending France further increasing the pressure for russia. Nothing has been done to stop japan from taking africa. His majestys navy will never

Pros - Italy will stop threatening africa and never get major IPC.
    Cons - GB will not have a navy and Germany can withdraw its forces from the western theatre.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m