• I just have a quick AA gun question:

If Russia attacks a German territory with only ground units, and that territory has an AA gun, can Russia move the AA gun in there NCM that turn since it didn’t fire?

Thanks

• No.  Just captured AA guns cannot be moved no matter what.

• @gamerman01:

No.  Just captured AA guns cannot be moved no matter what.

That would be a logical assumption, but do you have any source to back up your statement?

• @pitheist314:

@gamerman01:

No.  Just captured AA guns cannot be moved no matter what.

That would be a logical assumption, but do you have any source to back up your statement?

Yes, as a matter of fact I do.  Check page 20 of the manual you apparently don’t have.
    Under step 6, conclude combat:
    “If you capture an antiaircraft gun, you cannot move it in the Noncombat Move phase of the same turn.”  Satisfied?
    Am I the only one reads the rulebook?  You know, besides Krieghund.

• Question about paratroopers :

The FAQ says

Q. Bombers carrying Paratroopers must stop moving in the first hostile territory they enter. If a tank is blitzing through an unoccupied hostile territory, does a bomber entering that territory during the same Combat Movement phase have to stop there, or can it keep moving?
    A. Since the territory is captured as soon as the blitzing tank enters it, the territory is considered friendly at that point, and the bomber may continue its movement.

Does this rule works only with tanks ?

Or if an infantry takes the empty territory, can the paratrooper continue its movement ?

More tricky : can a first paratrooper take the empty territory, and a second one continue farther away ?

• @Yoshi:

Question about paratroopers :

The FAQ says

Q. Bombers carrying Paratroopers must stop moving in the first hostile territory they enter. If a tank is blitzing through an unoccupied hostile territory, does a bomber entering that territory during the same Combat Movement phase have to stop there, or can it keep moving?
    A. Since the territory is captured as soon as the blitzing tank enters it, the territory is considered friendly at that point, and the bomber may continue its movement.

Does this rule works only with tanks ?

Yes

@Yoshi:

Or if an infantry takes the empty territory, can the paratrooper continue its movement ?

Nope.  The way kreig explained it when it was asked before is that only a blitzing tank immediately makes a territory friendly.  Other units are not fast enough to immediately control the territory.

@Yoshi:

More tricky : can a first paratrooper take the empty territory, and a second one continue farther away ?

Nope.  (See above)

• ok, thanks !

• Official Q&A

To further clarify this issue, not just any tank movement will clear the way for a paratrooper-carrying bomber.  Only a blitz movement will.  A blitz movement occurs only when a tank moves through an unoccupied hostile territory and then into another territory.  Only the first territory is considered to be “blitzed”, and its ownship changes immediately during combat movement.  The territory in which the tank ends its movement is not considered to be blitzed, whether it’s occupied or not.  That territory’s ownership doesn’t change until the combat phase.

As an example, lets’ say a tank starts in Territory A and blitzes through unoccupied enemy Territory B, then moves into unoccupied enemy Territory C.  Only Territory B is blitzed and changes hands immediately.  A paratrooper-carrying bomber could move through Territory B, as it is now friendly due to the blitz.  However, it would have to stop in Territory C, as this is still enemy-held territory.

• Probably a pretty easy question.

Situation:

The US controls the Caroline Islands and has 1 transport and 2 subs in sz51.  Japan has NO destroyers on the board, but has other naval vessels (including subs) and air units in range.  Japan wants to both clear the seazone of my transport AND retake the Carolines.

Question 1:

Can Japan clear the sea zone with a fighter, and then send in a loaded transport to retake the Caroline Islands?  This means that the transport would ignore the subs in the sea zone.  It seems to me that the naval battle (including the subs would have to be fought before the amphibious assault can happen.  Am I right?

Question 2:

If Japan sends in a sub (or any naval ships) to clear my transport, then of course my subs have the option to stay on the surface and fight a naval battle before the transport is cleared.  Right?

• Official Q&A

@Bardoly:

Can Japan clear the sea zone with a fighter, and then send in a loaded transport to retake the Caroline Islands?  This means that the transport would ignore the subs in the sea zone.  It seems to me that the naval battle (including the subs would have to be fought before the amphibious assault can happen.  Am I right?

If you attack the transport, you also attack the subs.  While Japan’s fighter is killing the US transport, the US subs will be killing Japan’s transport.  The only way for the Japanese to do an amphibious assault on the Carolines is to either bring something to the battle that can hit the subs, or just ignore the US transport and subs completely and land the troops without a sea battle.

@Bardoly:

If Japan sends in a sub (or any naval ships) to clear my transport, then of course my subs have the option to stay on the surface and fight a naval battle before the transport is cleared.  Right?

Yes.

• @Krieghund:

@Bardoly:

If you attack the transport, you also attack the subs.  While Japan’s fighter is killing the US transport, the US subs will be killing Japan’s transport.  The only way for the Japanese to do an amphibious assault on the Carolines is to either bring something to the battle that can hit the subs, or just ignore the US transport and subs completely and land the troops without a sea battle.

But when the subs kill the Japan tranny, the Japan fighter can shoot against the subs, can’t they ?

This would mean that the subs first kill the japan tranny, then take the fire of the Japan aircraft, and submere at the beginning of the next round, when the US tranny is killed as now alone.

Am I right ?

• @Yoshi:

@Krieghund:

@Bardoly:

But when the subs kill the Japan tranny, the Japan fighter can shoot against the subs, can’t they ?

This would mean that the subs first kill the japan tranny, then take the fire of the Japan aircraft, and submere at the beginning of the next round, when the US tranny is killed as now alone.

Am I right ?

Don’t confuse the rule of what unit can hit what unit with the ability and timing of a sub to dive (submerge)

The rule is that a plane can not hit a sub unless a DD is present.  Has nothing to do with a sub defending or not.

• Official Q&A

@axis_roll:

Don’t confuse the rule of what unit can hit what unit with the ability and timing of a sub to dive (submerge)

The rule is that a plane can not hit a sub unless a DD is present.  Has nothing to do with a sub defending or not.

Right.  The fighter and subs can’t hit each other, so the only valid targets for both sides are transports.  The US transport would be eliminated immediately, as it’s defenseless.  The Japanese transport would last until it either retreated or was hit by a sub.  As it can’t possibly land its troops, there’s no point in bringing it along for the attack.

• yeah, for sure… forgot that.

I don’t know what I was thinking when I posted…

Thanks for the answers anyway :)

• Yes, thanks for the answers.

• '16 '15 '10

Suppose a German sub is in SZ2, and UK either doesn’t attack it or fails to attack it.  UK places a destroyer in SZ2.  Can American aircraft hit the German sub with the UK destroyer there?

• @Zhukov44:

Suppose a German sub is in SZ2, and UK either doesn’t attack it or fails to attack it.  UK places a destroyer in SZ2.  Can American aircraft hit the German sub with the UK destroyer there?

No.  Units of a different countries only work together on Defense.  A country can never use another countries units on offense.

• '19

Question on the rules for fighters and ACs.

Two scenarios.

1.  A fighter is on an AC and flies three spaces to a hostile sea zone to participate in combat.  During Non-combat the AC will move two spaces so that the ftr can come back and land.  Can the AC choose to stay where it is and let the ftr die?  My guess is yes but not sure.

2.  Same scenario as above - ftr on an AC flies three spaces to participate in combat.  This time however there is an enemy fleet in the path that the AC needs to travel to pick up the ftr.  Different vessels participate in combat designed to destroy the enemy fleet so that the AC (which didnt participate in the combat) can move to pick up the ftr.  Is this a valid move?  Would this be a valid move if there was no combat in the enemy sea zone in the way so that there is no chance that the AC can pick up the ftr?

For the second scenario assuming that it is a valid move as long as there is combat in the enemy sea zone so that the AC can move in NCM what if …
    1. the enemy fleet consists of an AC with two ftrs and the attacking fleet is a sub hoping to sink the AC and force the ftrs to move one space to land or drown (when would they move/drown before or after NCM).

2. the enemy fleet consists of 100 battleships and the attacker is a lone sub which certainly has an infestimally small chance of succeeding but there is a chance so would it be a legal move?

• @ksmckay:

Question on the rules for fighters and ACs.

Two scenarios.

1.  A fighter is on an AC and flies three spaces to a hostile sea zone to participate in combat.  During Non-combat the AC will move two spaces so that the ftr can come back and land.  Can the AC choose to stay where it is and let the ftr die?  My guess is yes but not sure.

If the ftr survives the combat, you MUST move the a/c for the ftr to land.  You could choose the ftr as a casualty in the battle to avoid having to moving the A/C

@ksmckay:

2.  Same scenario as above - ftr on an AC flies three spaces to participate in combat.  This time however there is an enemy fleet in the path that the AC needs to travel to pick up the ftr.  Different vessels participate in combat designed to destroy the enemy fleet so that the AC (which didnt participate in the combat) can move to pick up the ftr.  Is this a valid move?  Would this be a valid move if there was no combat in the enemy sea zone in the way so that there is no chance that the AC can pick up the ftr?

There must a possible way for the A/C to make it to a rendevous point for the ftr to land.  It doesn’t matter how silly the battle odds are.  For example, if there were 4 battleships in the way, and a lone sub attacked to ‘clear’ a path for the A/C, then the ftr can go.

@ksmckay:

For the second scenario assuming that it is a valid move as long as there is combat in the enemy sea zone so that the AC can move in NCM what if …
    1. the enemy fleet consists of an AC with two ftrs and the attacking fleet is a sub hoping to sink the AC and force the ftrs to move one space to land or drown (when would they move/drown before or after NCM).

this scenario has no effect on the ftr’s ability to go into combat 3 spaces away.

@ksmckay:

2. the enemy fleet consists of 100 battleships and the attacker is a lone sub which certainly has an infestimally small chance of succeeding but there is a chance so would it be a legal move?

See my reply above

• '19

Ok, thats what I thought just wanted to make sure about the second scenario and then I couldnt find the line that says when the surviving defending air units move.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m