Tutor game: AndrewAAGamer (X) vs trulpen [and everyone else] (A+50) OOB

• Making Tobruk happen means sacrificing a tr. If not it’s only a 70-80 % battle.

• Maybe we can use the tac though? And maybe even the fig? That would mean a pretty secure battle.

We need to be able to land 2 figs in z92 and 3 in Gibraltar.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20

I would use the trn to engage Persia. Could be done with Indian trn, but India needs as many units as it can.

I think reinforcing SZ92 is a bridge too far. Normal game, there is no Home fleet to defend so SZ92 makes sense. Here, we want to save the ships we have. So need ftrs in UK. 3-4 to be safe.

Actually, since he didn’t land in Holland Belgium, France can be useful and take that territory so the German ftrs can’t land without buying a CV. Buying 2 will still be a 1-99 battle against 4 ftrs + ships. I would consider it a win for the Allies if Germany spent on 3+ CVs this early in the game. BTW (3 CV is only 33-67% battle)

Italy could try to defend with tank + ftrs. In which, case I would still attack with France and trade junk for high value units that won’t end up on Eastern Front.

All this to say, I still believe Taranto is best option. We will have dominance in the S. Med, which is the goal of the first part of the game. You have to lose the CV or accept a 70-30 battle (assuming scramble). You could send 2 ftrs from UK, but if I was Italy I would not scramble and then the CV has to come anyway, unless he rolls 2 hits (16+% chance, 1 round combat)

• '17 '16 '13 '12

@trulpen said in Tutor game: AndrewAAGamer (X) vs trulpen [and everyone else] (A+50) OOB:

Maybe we can use the tac though? And maybe even the fig? That would mean a pretty secure battle.

We need to be able to land 2 figs in z92 and 3 in Gibraltar.

Try my 110 strategy, time to be BOLD, kill! ;)

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20

UK Pacific
    I’ll be in the minority here, but I’ll take Sumatra. Probably use a Malaya inf to do it. Keep people in India. If Japan goes for Sumatra, good. ANZAC safer.

I would move CA to SZ79 to avoid being stomped by air since you won’t have any air cover in India
    Since China went poorly, could try to airblitz FIC, and land in Burma.
    But that seems risky, instead
    Move up India stack. and put DD out as blocker. I hate giving up ships so early, but need to adapt. and this puts pressure on Japan’s land forces which is its only weakness right now.

Actually, looking at the Yunnan battle, just moving the 2 inf causes him to lose 4 ftrs. Adding our 3 ftrs, only increases his loss by 4 ftrs. So a “win” for us of extra ftr dead for all of our air. Not gonna do it. But I would add the 2 inf, without he loses 2.5 ftrs. 2 inf = 1.5 ftrs lost. I’ll take that

Suggested buy is 2 inf + 3 mob inf. Need the mobility to reach and get Shan State/Yunnan if necessary.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20

There is an alternative. to use the trn to assault Ethiopia with ground troops that aren’t being used for Tobruk. + CA that was just hanging out anyway.
    Pro: secures more territory in Africa
    Cons: removes units from India…which is why I rarely want to make this move

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20

UK Home Fleet
    Move to SZ109 all ships + SS except SS in SZ110
    Send trn to SZ88. Could stay but would take 3 turns to be useful anyway so may as well get Canadian units. Moving them to US for easy pickup

Attack BB with SS + 3-4 ftrs (whatever you have after Taranto), kill the BB, don’t care about sub. If get 2 hits on BB quick, then leave SS to kill German SS one-on-one

US should buy DD + 2 ftrs to defend buy. Then go sub hunting with Brits. There is no NO for Atlantic Subs in OOB, so no rush to kill.

Need to plan on Italy, reinforces Holland. Buy 1-2 ftrs so that should have 6 defense for island. Other buys = 12 IPCs in S. Africa for mob inf. + anything left over as inf in UK.

• @surfer a trade of 3 UK pacific fighters for 4 Japanese fighters is excellent. The Allies would come out in that exchange. If Japan opts not to do the combat, China gains 6 PUs and can build art next round. Very much worth the risk.

• @Arthur-Bomber-Harris

If we are worried about dice in Yunnan, let’s make sure to offer a target that Japan has to split it’s air on. What about the Russians in Siberia?

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20

Ok. We will agree to disagree. The Japanese have 21 aircraft, the Brits 3. Losing 4 for Japan is no big deal compared to elimination of Brits. Plus the Japanese have the $$ to replace ftrs (maybe not for 2-3 rds), but in 2-3 rds UK Pacific will be making 6 IPCs or less. The ftrs are a defensive backstop that can’t be just thrown away.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20

@Omega1759 I like the idea but our forces are split. If we move 12 inf + 2 AA to Amur to threaten. the next turn those 3 trn + 4 inf + 2 art + 3 ftrs + 2 Bmbr will annihilate us.

It would save Yunnan.
    And give us a turn to build up, Is it worth that?

• '17 '16 '13 '12

Looking at Pacific situation, we have to gain time here. Suggest we stack Java with 2 infantry, 3 Anzac fighters and put and Anzac destroyer in the way (this prevent DEI take over/makes it pricey). That attack also should take down the Yunnan odds.

Hit the 2 Japanese infantry with your air, land in Yunnan.

Move all Russians that can back to Siberia and position rest for counter attack (can we spare a Russian plane to help?)

• '17 '16 '13 '12

@surfer said in Tutor game: AndrewAAGamer (X) vs trulpen [and everyone else] (A+50) OOB:

@Omega1759 I like the idea but our forces are split. If we move 12 inf + 2 AA to Amur to threaten. the next turn those 3 trn + 4 inf + 2 art + 3 ftrs + 2 Bmbr will annihilate us.

It would save Yunnan.
    And give us a turn to build up, Is it worth that?

If we can counterattack yes. The transports would be out of position.

There needs to be additional pressure with Anzaz in Java. (I now see that SZ 54 is naked though, why aren’t US planes there?)

• @Omega1759

I think it’s OK to let him crush 54, either takes him out of position, open for counter (by US fleet and air) or he can lose planes if he puts his carriers in 55. Not ideal but distracts from the grand prizes of Yunnan and India.

• '17 '16 '13 '12

@Omega1759

Tried a UK turn, good rolling for the defender overall.

Next steps: Anzac to go on Java, Russia in Amur.

The landing in Siam seems wasteful but we don’t want Japanese planes to land there. A fighter purchase is expensive but nice boost for fleet / counterpunch power.

The situation in Europe is most interesting. I assumed no scramble in Italy. 96 was almost lost, that fighter should have landed in North Africa :(

triplea_35254_chi1 - Omega test.tsvg

• '17 '16 '13 '12

If we had a bit of an Atlantic force for the US, this map would look pretty good.

Hard to see Germay buy a carrier just to attack 110, losses would be great anyways.

Yunnan is not affordable.

Can’t take all money Island with landing on Java, that’s impossible.

If Japan knows out the Siberians, they have 3 transports out of position.

The Japanese need to content with decent UK pacific fleet + air that can strike back at their landing fleets.

• '17 '16 '13 '12

Not mentioning that if Germany attacks 110 it needs to retake Normandy and Belgium without air support, and Greece is there as well nagging them out.

What worries me though is Africa/med wish I was stronger there and had an American fleet to work with.

• '17 '16 '13 '12

Oh and yes, that silly transport in 99 is changing battle odds, too many targets to hit, you can’t understate how that impacts choices.

• '17 '16 '13 '12

Sorry for continuing the monologue here but two additional benefits if we get our butts kicked in 110 and Amur:

1. The German sub cannot deny Soviet NO by going to 125 at G2. If sub dies, need to buy another sub to be ready to declare war on G3.

2. The Mongolians are activated, making 9 infantry available for counter-attack. If we can spare a plane to accompany that counter-attack we are in business.

3. We have a good shot at eventually cutting the 3 Japanese transports to pieces with US Naval presence in the neighborhood

4. We have a potential US Landing in Korea in case Japan doesn’t strike us directly. That means that Korea will need to be defended to withstand an attack from America. Ideally would be able to defend against attack with 12 infantry, and so will Manchuria (likely need to keep planes north for that)

What worries me the most is a strike on Burma, but that would use up the Borneo/Phil land units and we can counter-attack The strike on Burma would negate the Java attack so India can be reinforced with 3 fighters. The only way for India to fall on J3 is a naval base + keeping zone 37 clear of blockers after J2. I have to think that we’ll be strong enough to prevent that with UK planes, Navy, Anzac planes, Anzac Navy and US Navy.

If we don’t think we can survive this, then we can always back out of Burma and leave a smaller force there.

• '17 '16 '13 '12

If US planes were in Queensland already, the Pacific would be a lot more comfortable, we would absolutely be able to cut off 37 and land some planes and Shan State/Malaya which the Japanese would have to deal with.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m