• Official Q&A

@Perry:

@Constantinople:

So does one DD destroy the abilitity of all subs in a SZ to submerge, or is it just on a 1 to 1 basis?

One DD = No SS in the SZ may submerge

That’s correct.  A single destroyer cancels all enemy subs’ submerge and first strike abilities.

• Let’s say 2 Japanese SUBs attack a SZ containing just 2 American SUBs…

Since there is no DD present, do either the Attacking SUBs or Defending SUBs get a chance to submerge prior to Combat?
    Or do we have the traditional situation where Opening Fire occurs simultaneously for both sides and nobody can submerge until after 1 round of Combat.

I guess what Im asking more specifically is what is the Combat Sequence with regards to these items…

Attacker Rolls Opening Fire
    Defender Rolls Opening Fire
    Attacker has Option to Submerge
    Defender has Option to Submerge
    Attacker Removes Opening Fire Casualties
    Defender Removes Opening Fire Casualties

• Official Q&A

Subs may either submerge or fire.  The sequence is:

1.  Attacking subs submerge (or not)
    2.  Defending subs submerge (or not)
    3.  Unsubmerged attacking subs fire
    4.  Unsubmerged defending subs fire
    5.  Casualties are removed
    6.  Attacking non-sub units fire
    7.  Defending non-sub units fire
    8.  Casualties are removed

If there are enemy destroyers, subs fire at the same time other units do.  There is no Opening Fire step.

• @Krieghund:

Subs may either submerge or fire.  The sequence is:

1.  Attacking subs submerge (or not)
    2.  Defending subs submerge (or not)
    3.  Unsubmerged attacking subs fire
    4.  Unsubmerged defending subs fire
    5.  Casualties are removed
    6.  Attacking non-sub units fire
    7.  Defending non-sub units fire
    8.  Casualties are removed

If there are enemy destroyers, subs fire at the same time other units do.  There is no Opening Fire step.

Thanks Kreighund,

I like the ability of the Defending SUBs to submerge prior to combat
    SUBs attacking SUBs always seemed strange  :-)

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I would have liked opposing rolls.

Destroyers roll at 3 or less to find the submarine
    Submarines roll at 2 or less to avoid detection (3 or less if they are super submarines, assuming that’s still available.)

If both succeed, then the unit who rolled better wins.  Undetected submarines can fire and submerge.

This would allow submarines to “evade” attacking destroyers.

• '10

1)  Means there is no chance to attack and sink a sub without a allied DD?

It simply submerges witout a 1st round of combat? Can’t believe that…

(I will build russian subs in the black sea! :evil:)

2)  Subs are able to cross hostile seazones containig no enemy destroyers?

• Even if subs are somewhat improved from AAR, they are still not good enough. The problem with AA50 rules is that the attacker needs only one DD to kill enemy subs.
    Although Germany shouldnt be able to build a mighty navy like UK+US without being punished by Russians, like it is now, not only the starting Kriegsmarine in the Baltic will be sunk asap, the subs will not survive either, because with one single DD in the attacking force UK will easily kill all German subs at the start of the game. Germany cannot build any new subs either cause they will not survive to the next round.

• '10

Enemy subs and transports can’t prevent shore bombardement.

I need no naval battle to start amphibious landings if there are only enemy subs or transports.

Is this correct?

• Official Q&A

Correct.  Your fleet can choose to either attack the subs and/or transports or do shore bombardment.  It can’t do both.

• @Krieghund:

Correct.  Your fleet can choose to either attack the subs and/or transports or do shore bombardment.  It can’t do both.

hm actually you cannot chose i think? according to LHTR, all sea units engage together in a sea battle. so you can build a sub in order to avoid a gazzillion offshore bombardments.

edit: on page 12 it says: “Offshore bombardment can only be done from a sea zone that was friendly at the beginning of the turn”

or did i miss an update on that?

• Official Q&A

@Sondrax:

@Krieghund:

hm actually you cannot chose i think? according to LHTR, all sea units engage together in a sea battle. so you can build a sub in order to avoid a gazzillion offshore bombardments.

edit: on page 12 it says: “Offshore bombardment can only be done from a sea zone that was friendly at the beginning of the turn”

or did i miss an update on that?

You are correct - for LHTR.  However, this is the forum for the new A&A Anniversary game that’s coming out in two weeks.  Things are going to be a little bit different.  :-)

See the AA50 Fact Sheet for more information.

• yeah, but i actually dont see any info on that?
    only that each bombardment dice must come hand in hand with a land unit.
    other than whats mentioned to be new there… i thought LHTR would build the ground rules.

then again, i guess that new rule already makes enough sense so that this old workaround isnt needed anylonger :)

• Official Q&A

A lot of LHTR did go into AA50, but some things have changed.

• Even if subs are somewhat improved from AAR, they are still not good enough. The problem with AA50 rules is that the attacker needs only one DD to kill enemy subs.
    Although Germany shouldnt be able to build a mighty navy like UK+US without being punished by Russians, like it is now, not only the starting Kriegsmarine in the Baltic will be sunk asap, the subs will not survive either, because with one single DD in the attacking force UK will easily kill all German subs at the start of the game. Germany cannot build any new subs either cause they will not survive to the next round.

Hey, Subotai, please join us over at House rules where we try some different ideas about subs in AA50! Here:

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=12715.0

• @Krieghund:

A lot of LHTR did go into AA50, but some things have changed.

actually… according to the AA50 rulebook, all seaunits do have to participate in the sea battle.

• Official Q&A

If there are defending surface warships (battleships, carriers, cruisers and/or destroyers) in the sea zone, the attacking sea units must battle them and may not bombard.  If there are only defending subs and/or transports in the sea zone, the attacking units have the choice to either attack them or ignore them.  If they attack, all units must attack and may not bombard.  If they ignore them, they may bombard.  See page 17.

• ah yeah… i already forgot this was originally about subs lol
    sorry for the confusion and thx for the answers :)

• Thanx for the good clarification on subs so far. I have one more qyuestion that I don’t think I saw brought up. Since BOTH subs get an opening surprise shot, would it the following scenerio be correct?:
    1 Cruiser attacks 1 sub. The defending sub gets a surprise shot 1st on the cruiser (should it choose to fight). If the sub rolls a “1”, the cruiser is dead with no retaliation shot and the sub wins?

• yes. Only the destroyer negates the subs first strike. A cruiser would go down all hands lost.

• Hmm, I think the DD one-to-many ratio isn’t that big of a deal. Since subs can only shoot naval units, the DD is likely to be shot first (inexpensive), so the subs can flee immediately afterwards. Even if you manage to kill 2 subs in the first turn, if the DD is down, no big harm has been done, and the rest of the subs are safe!

Another question: Imagine 3 subs are attacking 1 American DD and 1 British AC wit 2 British ftrs. Are the ftrs allowed to hit the subs in the first round of combat?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m