• You do know that the Bradley was originally supposed to be more like a Humvee and less like a tank, right?

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@ncscswitch:

You do know that the Bradley was originally supposed to be more like a Humvee and less like a tank, right?

Actually, I believe it was supposed to be a lightly armored version of a jeep, but with a better personnel capacity.  Basically, an ultra light, armored method of bringing a squad to the front. (A squad being 14-16 infantrymen + driver/passenger)

• Correct, it was a light troop transport originally (like the Humvee is now).

HBO actually did a movie many years ago about how the Bradley mutated into its current form… as well as all the failed tests (especially the amphib tests that it STILL can’t pass)

And, in keeping with historical parallels, notice how the screaming for the past several years has been for ARMORED Humvee’s…

It is a shame that Bradley’s name is associated with a boondoggle…

• '19 Moderator

Well hummers are going to be fased out soon.  The hummer was suposed to be a catch all do anything truck, but it get crappy mileage for using around base so their going back to pickup trucks and it doesn’t stand up to combat too light so they are moving to MRAPs and other “Mine Resistant” trucks.

• I have seen several of those on bases in recent years, especially LeJeune…

They look like the old South Africa anti-mine wheeled vehicles from the 1980s

• '19 Moderator

Yep, very similar designed for the samething.

• HMMWVs replaced the Jeeps, trucks and (shudder) Gamma Goats.
    Bradley’s were to replace 113s but couldn’t fulfill all the roles. And I wish I could remember some of the Jodies we had about its swim capabilities.

As far as the  list of officers how about “Bull” Halsey"? Quite a bit more tenacious than his service contemporaries.

My grandfather spent most of the war under MacAurthur and could not stand him for what thats worth.

• Halsey was a cruiser commander. Why is he even on the list?

What happened to the dune buggies from Desert Storm Part 1?

And why in the world are we armoring trucks.  Just make impact proof body armor with hydraulic systems to allow our men and women to carry more, move faster and do more.  Seems to me that a suit of armor that makes you all but indestructible would be far superior to a tank.  Tanks have a hard time going up stairs without destroying a building, ya know.  People don’t.

• '19 Moderator

I rode in a Gama Goat the first year I was in, what a ride…

• One of the funniest encounters I had with military vehicles…

When I was in Benning and a Supply NCO, I was told that my primary vehicle for use would be a Rampage.

Now THAT sounded impressive… a RAMPAGE!

Then I saw it… a Chrysler Horizon based El Camino
    http://www.dragtimes.com/images/1092967927RampageR.jpg

Though mine was that dreadful celery green with “US Army” and a vehicle number in cheap black sticky numbers on the doors…

Hey now, that’s a SLICK ride! (get it, cause it leaks oil?  Bah, you’re all no fun!)

• '19 Moderator

Now that’s one I’ve never seen…

• how did this thread get into El Camino’s from world war two Admirals?

• Via the military vehicles named for those gentlemen

• '19 Moderator

I vote for Admiral El Camino!

• @dezrtfish:

I vote for Admiral El Camino!

And in one swell foop we are back on topic :-D

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m