• This is pretty much a no brainer.  I think most people will have a Heavy Tank: Attack 4, Defend 4, Move, cost 8.

Since I’d love to have a 4-5 “SS Panzer” unit from Nova, I’m replacing the Mechanized Infantry Tech with:

Improved Tank Design
    +1 to tank defense

• I don’t agree

3 types of tanks.
    Light tank = att & def at 2
    medium tank = att & def at 3  (May retrat after one round of combat).
    heavy tank = att & def at 4 (may retreat after one round of combat.

Japan & Italy cannot produce medium tank.
    Only germany and USSR may produce heavy tank.

• most will be using FMG’s new half-track unit as a 2-2-2 unit called “mechanized infantry”.  Call them “light tanks” if you must.  It’s basically the same thing.

• @crusaderiv:

I don’t agree

3 types of tanks.

How much are the heavy tanks Crusaderiv?  This sounds like it would benefit Germany more than Russia with Russia having to ‘budget’ more than Germany.

• @crusaderiv:

Personally I’ve never liked these Nation specific prohibitions or bonuses. The low income and strategic goals of Japan and Italy I think should argue against their IPCs going into heavy tank production… in other words the cost should be prohibitive.

As for the retreat options, I don’t think the mobility and employment of heavy armour makes them any more “retreatable” than a standard armour or infantry unit. Takes quite a bit of logistics to move armour.

• Customizer

Heavy tanks should be a tech, with USSR having them to start with in “summer 1942” scenarios (the KV1s played a big part in holding up the German offensive, and forced the Germans to develop their own series of heavies).

The American Pershing was definately in this class, though appearing fairly late on.

It’s also worth remembering that in 1940 France had bigger and better tanks than Germany, and might have produced vehicles to rival the KVs and Tigers if it’d stayed in the fight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tank_classification#Heavy_tank

Heavies should not have the blitz/breakthrough ability.

• @Captain:

@crusaderiv:

I don’t agree

3 types of tanks.

How much are the heavy tanks Crusaderiv?  This sounds like it would benefit Germany more than Russia with Russia having to ‘budget’ more than Germany.

Mechanized infantry have been highly sugested by Imperious Leader to cost 4.  3-3 Tanks now cost 5.  In the out of print Axis and Allies Accessories (typo), there was a 1-1-2 Jeep that cost 3.  Based on this precident, I’d place a 4-4 tank at a cost of 6 IPCs.

• Sponsor '17 '13 '11 '10

US had the pershing heavy tank

• Yes. US had pershing heavy tank but to late to make a difference at the end of the war.

Of course, heavy Tank must be a tech. Germany and USSR only.

Italy and Japan didn’t have the industrial capacity, the technology and money to produce medium and heavy tank. In 1941, japanese didn’t have any tank division!
    Only tankette.

Light tank cost = 4    2,2,2 but attack at 3 in the first round of combat. 
    there’s a difference between a mechanized infantry. Light tank is stronger.
    I think you can put both in the same game).
    Let see…mech inf. cost 3 = 2,2,2 but may retreat after one round fo combat).

medium tank = 5 (USSR) 6 (USA,UK,Ger).
    Heavy tank = (USSR 6) Ger 7.

• @crusaderiv:

Italy and Japan didn’t have the industrial capacity, the technology and money to produce medium and heavy tank. In 1941, japanese didn’t have any tank division!
    Only tankette.

So your rules are saying that if Japan had conquered Burma, India, Australia and driven to Moscow… or any of the other ahistorical achievements that occur in this game, they still would never have been capable of producing a heavy tank formation.

IPCs pouring in by the bucketfull and the entire Pacific Rim joining the co-prosperity sphere but sorry, no heavy tanks for Japan…

Naw, sorry doesn’t work for me.

• Customizer

Light tanks can blitz, MI cannot.

Japanese heavy tank prototype:

http://ww2drawings.jexiste.fr/Files/1-Vehicles/Axis/3-Japan/03-HeavyTanks/Type100O-I/O-I.htm

Remember that in 1941 the Panther and Tiger did not exist, and were a response to Soviet tank designs.  The nature of the eastern front dictated the priorities of these powers, rather than the others being incapable of producing similar weapons.

• @Flashman:

Light tanks can blitz, MI cannot.

Japanese heavy tank prototype:

http://ww2drawings.jexiste.fr/Files/1-Vehicles/Axis/3-Japan/03-HeavyTanks/Type100O-I/O-I.htm

Remember that in 1941 the Panther and Tiger did not exist, and were a response to Soviet tank designs.  The nature of the eastern front dictated the priorities of these powers, rather than the others being incapable of producing similar weapons.

Eleven man crew! lols :lol:.

that thing is a huge pile o Shet.  Yeah 11 man crew, Get real.  The Damn thing looks like Rivets hold it together.  One shell hits the center of a plate and the whole Plate comes off.

:roll: :roll: :|

• So your rules are saying that if Japan had conquered Burma, India, Australia and driven to Moscow… or any of the other ahistorical achievements that occur in this game, they still would never have been capable of producing a heavy tank formation.

LOL, well if you driven to moscow with Japan, Don’t need tank anymore!!!

• fighters, a lot of fighters…

It’s up to you but I prefer accurate game.
    The day i wil had heavy tank tech to Japan and I will add A bomb tech to germany!

Oh, why not bacteriological weapon for Japan?
    1 Balloon per turn. Attack at 3 or less over USA?

• @crusaderiv:

It’s up to you but I prefer accurate game.
    The day i wil had heavy tank tech to Japan and I will add A bomb tech to germany!

Well  I still think everycountry should have a chance at any tech. Just because they didnt dosnt mean it was impossible for them to have these techs. All the nations in the game have modern econamies and had a good shot at producing any of the wars weapons especailly if the war continues longer than its hisotrical conter part, which you have to assume happens in many A&A games. Its probably not very accuarte to restric techs.

• in the new AAE40 the tank is a 3-3-2-6 unit… 6 ipc to buy.

• @Imperious:

in the new AAE40 the tank is a 3-3-2-6 unit… 6 ipc to buy.

yah so heavy tanks should cost at least 8, if you want to show how much harder they were to produce.

• yea 4-4-2-8

• @Imperious:

yea 4-4-2-8

I have always questioned the heavy tanks offenisve capabilities, perhaps it should just be a four and attack like a regular tank. from what I have read, in all the european terrain the heavy tank had much difficulty advancing and was most effective when defending against medium armor. Of course then this unit would probably be obsoleted by fighters. Maybe if should have a first strike ability on the defence to account for its high-caliber and high velocity gun.

3-4-2-9 that has first strike on defence and acts like a normal tank otherwise, that feels like a heavy tank to me.

• @Imperious:

in the new AAE40 the tank is a 3-3-2-6 unit… 6 ipc to buy.

@Upside-down_Turtle:

What if instead of “land transports” trucks were “motorized infantry” distinct from mech inf.  I’m weary of this idea, because it overthrows some sacred A&A rules.  Here’s my new land combat unit chart for FMG’s New Pieces Project (NPP):

Piece              Name                            Attack        Defense              Move          Cost                  Special

Soldier 1        Light Infantry                1                2                  1              3                  N/A

Soldier 2        Marine                        1                2                    1              4              + 1 Attack during Amphibious Assult

Truck            Motorized Infantry          1                2                  2              4                Can Blitz

Gun(1)          Light Artillery                2                2                  1              4                + 1 to infantry attack on 1-1 basis

Gun 2**        Heavy Artillery              3                2                  1              5                +1 to infantry attack on 1-1 basis

Half-Track    Mechanized Infantry        3                2                  2              5                Can Blitz

Tank 1          Light Armor                    3                3                  2              6                Can Blitz

Tank 2          Heavy Armor                  4                4                  2              8                Can Blitz

*Note: Fighters can support tanks on a 1-1 basis.
    **Field Marshal Games is not offering two artillery molds at this time (unless we beg them to).  Rather, it seemed to fit, so I added it as a possibility.

Umm, not to brag, but the 6 IPC 3-3 tank was my idea

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m