• deluxe world at war
    « on: February 04, 2010, 11:59:49 pm » Quote Modify Remove

–------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never done forums until a few weeks ago, now I find myself spending hours a week on this forum. Hmmm. hope it’s not addicting. Anyways, I hope I am not breaking any rules by talking about other games based on AA.

IL, I was wondering what your thoughts are on tanks being to weak in your game. I did some math calculations based on two scenarios, (you can use the odds in favor or missing or hitting) and no matter how you look at it, for $21 I can buy 7 men or 3 tanks. 7 men easily destroy 3 tanks. And with artillery, you can buy 5 men and 5 artillery or 4 heavy tanks and the outcome is even more disastorous. Even with the curret AA games, combining infantry and artillery produces a superior fighting force, but not so horrific making the advantage for tanks movement of 2 still worth it, but only if you need that movement.

I heard in AA40 the tanks are 6 IPC. That seems like a mistake.

Just wondering your thoughts on the issue.

• Having 6 IPC tanks solves the ‘all tank buy’ strategy that existed in AA50 and Revised.

However, Mechanized infantry should have been 2-2-2-4 and not 1-2-2-4 but the second move in combat does need a tank to get that 2nd move.

In the game that i designed, note that was back in 2004 and alot has happened since that time. My War In Europe game is essentially the correction to that information and seems better as a design.

• @Imperious:

Having 6 IPC tanks solves the ‘all tank buy’ strategy that existed in AA50 and Revised.

Yeah they’ve done away with the buy all tank strategy and implemented the buy all infantry strategy.

• I got a say, though I have never played anything other than AArevised, and earlier addtions, (including expansions), people always did buy all tanks. But when tanks defended on a 2, and cost 3, buying all infantry swamped the tanks. I never bought all men with the guys I used to play regualary with, but just enough not to give it away. I was amazed they never realized the advantage of buying all men versus tanks. I always bought just enough men to not make it obvious. I have been playing for over 25 years. When they made tanks defend at a 3 on revised it became a close battle, but with the addition of artillery, again unless  you had to travel far and fast, infantry and artillery is far superior in strength. It always has been, so I curious what game was it advantageous to do all tanks.

In World at WAr (Expansion), since you can improve factories to produce 2 tanks per turn at a $1 reduce price, those became the only tanks I would ever buy.

Looking at some of the maps like AA40, being so big in terms of spaces it might make sense. But tanks costing now $6, the need for speed really must overcome the advantage of fire power. If I have $42, I would much rather have 6 men and 6 artillery versus 7 tanks. Its a no brainer.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m