• Hi, folks! ^_^

Welcome to another thread devoted to the NPP.  This one is about the two types of infantry FMG will be providing, that is, infantry that is dude shaped, not half-track shaped.

• Here is my new ground unit chart

Piece              Name                            Attack        Defense              Move          Cost                  Special

Soldier 1        Light Infantry                1                2                  1              3                  N/A

Soldier 2        Marine                        1                2                    1              4              + 1 Attack during Amphibious Assault

Truck            Motorized Infantry          1                2                  2              4                Can Blitz

Gun(1)          Light Artillery                2                2                  1              4                + 1 to infantry attack on 1-1 basis

Gun 2**        Heavy Artillery              3                2                  1              5                +1 to infantry attack on 1-1 basis

Half-Track    Mechanized Infantry        3                2                  2              5                Can Blitz

Tank 1          Light Armor                    3                3                  2              6                Can Blitz

Tank 2          Heavy Armor                  4                4                  2              8                Can Blitz

*Note: Fighters can support tanks on a 1-1 basis.
    **Field Marshal Games is not offering two artillery molds at this time (unless we beg them to).  Rather, it seemed to fit, so I added it as a possibility(I’ll probably cannibalize different games to gey two types of artillery).

I figured most will be using it as an “elite infantry”, possibly nation specific.  So far, everyone gets a AA Pacific Marine, since I can’t think of anything else.  Please, don’t lecture me on “USSR didn’t have marines”, yadda-yadda.  Yeah, i don’t think they had carriers either, but FMG isn’t skimping on Italy just because they’re poor.

IL’s 2-2-2-4 Mech Inf was simply too good to allow a separate marine unit to exist, so I beefed it up and made it 5 IPCs.

• What are your thoughts on the extra infantry piece being a paratrooper unit?  This is being discussed some in the paratrooper thread, but maybe someone else has some more thoughts.

My current position would be that if paratroopers were not a tech, and an air transport unit were available, then a paratrooper piece would be a valid unit.  I see it as a 1 attack, 1 defense (to represent units size - a paratrooper unit would definitely have less men in it than a normal infantry unit), 1 movement point, 4 IPC cost.  Of course with a special paratrooper piece, that would mean that only paratroopers could be dropped by the air transport during the combat phase instead of using the regular infantry piece.

• Yes, I’m aware of the thread and have contributed to it.  My paratrooper rules allow a bomber to be “retrofitted” as an air transport and carry 1 infantry, heavy bombers carry two.  The Paratrooper Tech I’m renaming Gliders Tech, since it allows carrying of infantry and the bomber can still attack.  Medium bombers will also be able to carry an artillery in their glider, Heavies can carry a light tank glider.

Since I’m allowing for airdropped artillery and tanks, I see no reason for a dedicated paratrooper piece.

• Infantry type units in order of importance in World War 2 and the order that you should add them to the game is this

1.Airborne
    2.Marine
    3.Static/Colonial/Milita soldiers
    4.Mountian/Winter soldiers

• I don’t see the need for more than one type of troop, except some low grade infantry type like Volkstrum or 1941 soviet infantry, or partisans

these would be 1-1 units costing 2 and limited builds. basically they are garrison units or last resort units. The problem is we already are getting Mech infantry and airborne infantry, so you don’t need it.

• I’ve pretty much withdrawn from the paratrooper debate.  Many have already decided their second inf sculpt will be a paratrooper.

If i did have a dedicated paratrooper unit, it would be like a marine, that gets a +1 modifier or something when airdropped.  I wouldn’t make them the sole unit that can be airdropped anymore I’d make a marine the sole unite that can make an amphibious assault.

• yes exactly!

Each nation could have some unique infantry unit:

Russians: shock troops, partisans or conscripts
    UK: commandos
    Italy: Mountain troops?
    USA: Marines
    Germany: Waffen or Volksstrum
    Japan: marines or fanatical island defenders

• Finally!!!  Someone who understands me.  Yes, elites for the other 5 nations.  Please, I want everyone to get creative.

• This may be too complicated for AA50, but what if each nation had its own special infantry unit to go along with the regular one?  Here are some examples

Attack  Defense  Move  Cost  Special abilities

Germany – Paratrooper     1         1           1       4      May be dropped by air transport units in combat.

Japan – Marine                1         2          1        4     +1 attack when participating / +1 defense when defending in amphibious assaults

Italy – Moutain Infantry    0         3           0       3      May only be produced in Italy

Soviet Union – Militia        1         1           1       2      May only be produced in Moscow.

Britain – Colonial Militia     1         2           1       4      1 per turn may be produced in Aus, Ind, Egy, Saf, or Eca with no IC present

East U.S. – Paratrooper    1         1           1       4      May be dropped by air transport units in combat.

West U.S. – Marine          1         2           1       4      +1 attack / +1 defense when participating or defending in amphibious assaults

• Now I see that you 2 had the same idea.   :-)

• 4 IPCs for a 1-1 paratrooper?  man, where did the debate go?

• @Imperious:

yes exactly!

Each nation could have some unique infantry unit:

Russians: shock troops, partisans or conscripts
    UK: commandos
    Italy: Mountain troops?
    USA: Marines
    Germany: Waffen or Volksstrum
    Japan: marines or fanatical island defenders

What are their respective abilities?

• I was thinking Germany should get some type of shock troop that is supported by tanks on a 1-1 basis.

• my problem with German or Russian shock troops as infantry is that those units had alot of tanks, so why not just represent them with tanks.

For special  infantry they should be able to fall into one of the four catagories i already listed.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m