Special Unit Rules
Combined Arms Modifiers Idea from user Carolina
- Combined arms modifiers only apply for forces of the same nation.
Aircraft Carriers Idea from user Carolina
I am curious about this one. Why? with the old rules, the aircraft had much more movement than this. If you had UK planes on US CVs you could effectivly use the US planes to attack a terr 5 areas away (if the CV was on a fleetbase). So the planes on the CV is already nerfed. Why would you make themn “worse” ?
It might just make good sense from a game balance and gameyness perspective tho
Casualties and Occupation
Axis and Allied forces that attack together randomly select casualties for the same unit type. (for instance, if there are 3 German and 2 Italian infantry and they decide that an infantry will be the 1st casualty, the Germans roll 3 dice and the Italians roll 2 dice. Whoever has the higher sum takes the casualty.) Any other “random” method may be used as well
Country with the largest army remaining at the end of the battle takes control of the occupied territory.
This seems like a lot of extra dierolling. Could you not just say to make it “proportional”? If the goal is to have germany have 60% chance of taking the hit and the italians having 40% chance. . Then the best method would be to use a sinlge die roll. 1,2,3 = G take the hit, 4,5 = IT takes the hit. 6 = reroll.
with 5 german and 4 italians, you could can order the units in two rows. Row 1 has 5 germans and 1 italian, while row 2 has 3 italians. The first die decides which row to pic from. On a 1,2,3 pic from row 1, on a 4,5,6 pick from row 2. If you pick from row 1. Roll the other die, and kill a german on 1-5 and an italian on a 6. If you pick from row 2, you roll the other die, On a 1,2,3 you pick an italian, and on a 4-6 you pick noone and do the process from the beginning (i,e Reroll both dies). This is much faster to do if you roll both dies at the same time.
If you even want it simlpler, just take all the losses and agree on what the results of a single dieroll means. So if there are 20 italians and 50 germans and you have to take 17 casualties. Then 20units 17/70 = 4.86, while 5017/70 = 12.14. So you take 12 germans, 4 italians and roll a single die to have the italians take the 5th casualitie on a 1-5, while the germans takes it on the 6.
These are just a few fast and slow suggestions :)¨the rolling for every single hit gives the “perfect” distribution of probability.
/ / Analysis / /
On a strategic level this method of game play does the following:
- Enhances game balance. Axis gain an advantage in the Eastern Front because Soviet controlled territories can no longer be reinforced by Allied Forces. However, Allied forces gain a better advantage by being able to coordinate their attacks because there are more components that comprise the Allied forces.
I think you are off on a few of your analysis points.
I belive this game is massivly pro axis, and every single point you seem to mention is pro axis. This would not be good for gamebalance. However, I think your analysis of advantages is not entirely correct.
I belive this change will help the allies much more than it hurts them.
1) One of the most poweful moves in the game (IMO) is the italian can-opener on the eastern front. It is the single thing that makes it very difficult to not lose the war in russia. A huge german stack in rostow, with about 10 italian units will force the russian back to moscow. There are two paths to moscow from rostov. The russian can either stand on one of them and have enough units in the other to prevent an italian can-opener. This will mean that they will have at least 12 inf there and the german can send in 4 inf and luftwaffe and blead the red army dry every time the red army tries to do this. This means that the red army have to retreat to moscow and the middle-east, caucasus and stalingrad will be up for grabs.
- this makes offensive coordination between the allied powers in the pacific much easier. I would guess this hurts japan quite a bit.