• Did any of you guys have repainted their units or modified them ? I think I’m going to try to field a special “themed” unit… Afrika Korps or maybe some proud canadian units !
    Anyways, if any of you guys have any pics of such things i would like to see them.

• Founder TripleA Admin

Yeah, I’ve been wanting to do the same thing for some of the extra Panzer IVs and Shermans that I have. The only thing is that I don’t know where to find suggestions about how to paint it.

• one thing i have noticed in games like this is the whole “PC” aspect of it. for some reason they are afraid to show nazi realted graphics, sure they have the cross but that was more the german army, not the actual nazi’s. one really simple thing that bugged me was that the panzer IV’s didnt have the first SS symbol “aka the mystical key” on it. so i just put them on, its simple, and easy, and it makes each little war i have in my living room that much more personal. I have also gone as far as selecting some of my M1 Garand guys and adding a BIG RED 1 to thier right arms, i also made me stat card for them, nothing speical, but i gave them the special power to feed off of eachother, one guy gets dirupted and the other guys take it away, pretty much need to rool a 2 hit deal to waste them. i thought it was cool.

• Founder TripleA Admin

Nazi related graphics, particularly the swastika, although historical, are offensive symbols of hate. And persoally, I would not buy a game that used the swastika in it’s product. If I found out after buying it, I would demand a full refund of my money.

• @Major:

I have also gone as far as selecting some of my M1 Garand guys and adding a BIG RED 1 to thier right arms, i also made me stat card for them, nothing speical, but i gave them the special power to feed off of eachother, one guy gets dirupted and the other guys take it away, pretty much need to rool a 2 hit deal to waste them. i thought it was cool.

Hoowah!  Having served with the 1st Infantry I can definately dig you putting the ol’ Big Red One on the sleeve!! <salutes></salutes>

• @djensen:

Nazi related graphics, particularly the swastika, although historical, are offensive symbols of hate. And personally, I would not buy a game that used the swastika in it’s product. If I found out after buying it, I would demand a full refund of my money.

the swastika is not an evil symbol. don’t get me wrong, i am no fan of the Nazi’s in any shape or form, as far as I’m concerned those to A-bombs were wasted on japan and should have been dropped much more to the west. but the swastika was borrowed by the Nazis from Buddhism, the swastika stands for unity and overall peace, things that Hitler promised germany when he came to power, allthough his modes of thinking changed for the very worst, the symbol remained the same. besides, i always thought that fearing something, or hating something gave that “something” even more power

my old man served with the 1st in Nam, he said if he was with any other unit he probably wouldn’t be alive today, which means i wouldn’t be writting this right now, so i have a place for the 1st in my heart, even though i did my time in the core.

• If the twisted cross is a symbol of hate then, World War II is a symbol of hate because somebody has to play the axis and they be some big time haters of freedom. But alas we come to learn something about what others sacrificed to gain this freedom back, so we fight on different sides. This cross is only a symbol and if we choose to avoid its “power” over us then we allready have lost something…thus  it should be displayed so we can fully understand why other people choose to fight for it.

• Founder TripleA Admin

It’s not neccessarily about the actual indented meaning of the symbol. It’s about what the meaning has become in western culture. It is a symbol used today by close-minded-idiots to instill fear and express prejedice against the minorities that they hate. It is unfortunate that somebody had to ruin it for everyone. Especially since it is a symbol of Buddhism. Until our culture as a whole realizes that it was a misused symbol, it will continue to represent hate.

• Founder TripleA Admin

As for Imperious Leader’s comments. It is a fine line that I don’t think is crossed by playing the game. You can say that you are changing history by playing the game in the first place and the first order of business is to end the attrocities both by Germany and by Japan.

• @djensen:

As for Imperious Leader’s comments. It is a fine line that I don’t think is crossed by playing the game. You can say that you are changing history by playing the game in the first place and the first order of business is to end the attrocities both by Germany and by Japan.

both these countires did do some horrible things, but are you saying that America was completely Innocent in all respects. what about the Japanese camps we had in Cali.? what about the atom bombs we dropped on japan. sure it ended the war in a hurry, but how many Innocent lives were taken by us in those two attacks. are these things OK, is there nothing wrong with them? sure we didn’t saluter millions of people, or partake in the rape of Nanjing. the point is war is a horrible thing, and in order to end a war you most do horrible things. so who are the goods guys, to me America is and will always remain the good guys, but to say we didn’t do anything horrible in the war is just naive. don’t take this personally, its just how i feel and how i think.

• Oh boy this is one of those topics where nobody is going to change anybody else’s mind.

I hadn’t thought about doing custom paint work on my minis but that’s an excellent idea. One of the things that keeps me away from games like Warhammer is having to paint an entire army from scratch. Doing some custom work on a few pieces is much more my speed. I’d suggest picking up some history books for ideas, or better yet books for plastic model builders are chock full of alternate paint schemes and markings.

• Founder TripleA Admin

Doppelbock (great beer style btw), if you find a link to a guide of alternate painting schemes for model, please post it here. I’d like to repaint one of my Panzers and one of my Shermans but I don’t know where to start.

• Founder TripleA Admin

@Major:

but are you saying that America was completely Innocent in all respects … but to say we didn’t do anything horrible in the war is just naive. don’t take this personally, its just how i feel and how i think.

Nope, if you read my post, I was only talking about the Axis. Nothing was implied nor inferred about the Allies. In fact I agree with you.

Personally, sometimes I don’t read carefully enough and reply hastily to a post but if I’m arguing for or against something, I try to take a little bit more care into what I’m responding to.

• So has anybody modded their tanks or other units yet?  Any pictures?  I’d love to see them. :-)

• I’m going to do some during my Christmas vacation, I’ll post you the pictures as soon as I have some !

• Jeez…I sure missed a bit here…and it looks like it went WAY off topic…

I think that the use of nazi symbols is acceptable under certain conditions…mainly in WW2 re-enactments, wargames, video games ect…It is only trying to accurately portray the units of the war. It all has to do with the context of use. If someone is walking down the street with an ‘SS’ T-shirt…then I might be more offended than if I went to a WW2 re-enactment and saw a guy wearing a Nazi officers uniform…I know it is in the proper envieroment.  I think it is perfectly fine if a player wants to repaint his minis to accurately portray his units since it is a WW2 game…If you are not offended to see Nazi symbols in war movies, then whay should it be different in WW2 games?

Anyway, I dont want to go off topic myself, so I’ll get back to the painted minis issues. I’d love to repaint mine, but think that it might be tough to do…vehicles could be easy, but ground units could be a pain. It be nice to repaint Set3 air units with specific names. I think one of the main issues is the devaluation of the piece…it would frankly lose it’s collectability once it is painted. I know there are plenty of players that dont really care about it, but since it is a collectible game, it might make players wary to customized units.

Certain minis look similar enough that one could use minis from other factions and repaint them to look like they are from the same army…paint Fucile Modello 1891 to look like a standing version of the K98 soldier…or repaint guys to look like Fallschrimjager…repaint the Garnad soldier in camo to play as marine units…could be alot of fun.

• So, POINTMAN, have you heard any news about Set 3?  Or were you just referencing Set 3 air units to pose an “IF”?  I’m only asking because, well, I just can’t help but blow my money away on little plastic army figures, and what better thing for an addict like me than a new set!?  :-P

• the second set just came out, you need to buy new ones already……yeah i guess your right, so do i.
    and DJ i was just trying to make a point, all countries invloved in WWII did some bad things, its war sh*t happens. but to say that the swastaka is an evil thing then you could say the sme thing about the american flag, they were both symboles of a group of people that were involved in the war. before someone goes nuts, i am not saying that the american flag is evil, to me it is one of the most beautiful and amazing things.

ps im kind of drunk right now, ill check this post tomarrow and if i said something way out of line i will change it.

• Evil or not, the Swastika, just like the American flag, is a thing you can learn from.  Those who don’t learn from history are doomed to repeat it.  Isn’t that how the saying goes?

• Well I’m sure that I’ll end up accumulating such a massive amount of these guys that I won’t mind dabbling a little paint on a few of them.  I’ll be sure to keep some of them how they looked out of the box.

Anyway, does anybody know where we can get decals for such small pieces?  I’ve been looking around the net, but I haven’t seen a thing. :?

As far as the whole swastika thing goes, I don’t think ANY of the units look right without their proper markings on them (even if that means the swastika).

Oh, and I’m really looking forward to seeing people’s modded units! :)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m