AA 1914- WW1 ANNOUNCED!!!

• Yeah, no Cavalry, especailly if the game is supposed to start in 1914, is a little odd. I like how they function in the Triple A Great War mod, same attack and less defense stats as Inf. but a way to creat break throughs. I shall miss them. Also, still don’t understand the lack of gas. Zepplins and Rail-Guns i can live without but they would have been fun.

Oh well, I’m just glad there will finally be a WW1 board game

• @Army:

There is room in the market for more than one game set in WW1. Look at the large amount of WW2 games there are out there. If something’s good - it’s good. Don’t go giving up; you may have done something quite different (or even better) than what Larry does…

I agree.  No game is ever definitive.  If Larry’s game isn’t as good as it could be, this creates an opportunity for someone else to create a better one.  If Larry’s game is as good as we all hope it will be, this creates an opportunity for someone else to create a “differently good” game that uses another approach.  WWI was a huge and complicated conflict, so there is a vast range of methods that can be used to translate it into a game.

• Yeah, I would have loved to get Zeppelin units but I guess their role in World War I was so minor it doesn’t really fit the scale of the game.  Cavalry would have made sense… I wonder why it was left out.

• Yeah, cavalry wouldn’t really make much sense on the Western front.  Even on the Eastern front, while they were tactically useful for scouting, raids, and cutting rail lines, it would be hard to represent them on the strategic level.  If they don’t move faster than infantry, then what’s the point?  If they do move faster than infantry, there is a danger players will build more of them than would be historically accurate, and they might become defacto blitzkrieg machines.

The combat system that involves only one round of combat is interesting.  Given how it would tend to have the effect of preventing territories from changing hands quickly, it must somehow generate massive casualties.  Either that or the cost of new units must be relatively high compared the income available on the map.  If not, you’d end up with massive stacks of units in some of the key territories after a couple of turns.

• @almashir:

The combat system that involves only one round of combat is interesting.  Given how it would tend to have the effect of preventing territories from changing hands quickly, it must somehow generate massive casualties.

I think that’s what Larry’s going for.

At first I was imagining that the static nature of World War I would make for a somewhat uninteresting game… but on second thought, it might be a really tense if both sides are losing massive numbers all over the place. Although the battle fronts might not move very much, it sounds like they will be highly unstable.

• It’s about time the Great War get the attention it deserves.

Can’t wait!

• I own probably most all tof he stragetic WWI Games produced,even the SPI WWI Varient to it’s War in Europe
    (we played it for 4 days straight back in the day( & then the Game Group broke up :roll: )

I always wanted to see a stragetic minatures game on the Great War so I’m excited.
    Looking forward to the release of more information but will probably Home Rule this thing
    to death  :evil:  or at least paint figs to represent the Bavarian Army & Saxon Corps.

OD

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m