Japanese uses Mongolia as the USSR can-opener. Thoughts?

• Title says is all.
    What is the general consensus on using the Mongolians as a can-opener for the Japanese to gain access to USSR??
    Namely, i was thinking of using japanese forces to take Chahar in china, then use tanks +Mech inf to blitz into Central Mongolia then Dzavhan. The assumption is that the USSR has probably stacked troops in Buryatia, which means they cant stop u taking Yenisey. Obviously there are several things that would render this unwise, eg: if USSR stack a few troops in all their territories, etc; so it is an opportunistic strategy if certain conditions present themselves.
    And no, this is not the only thing the Jap’s would do. Other basic stuff like kill India/anzac/us would also be pursued simultaneously.

So the basic idea/question is:
    Do you think it worthwhile alienating all the True Neutrals for the opportunity that the Japanese could invade the more central Eastern USSR states? Ideally the TN invasion would b coordinated w the other Axis’s powers - maybe it would be better for the Germans to invade Sweden/Spain first, etc
    I appreciate it might seem a little silly, but the shock to the russians and their strategies may greatly aid the Germans.
    (I guess this is a tangential continuation of a recent previous topic of: How can the Japanese best help the Euro-Axis powers?)

• Maybe.  I have thought about Italy and Germany taking over Spain, Turkey and Sweden.  Mongolia woudl have to be next I suppose.  You wouldn’t want Russia getting those free troops.

If you coordinate well with the Europe Axis and Kind of Lure Russia into leaving his units near the Japanese board (say with a lightly defended factory) this tactic might work.

• Interesting, but I’m not sure if it’s worth it. Even if the axis can take the big 3 neutrals, it will cost them too much

• '22 '21 '19 '18 '17 '16

This strategy also seems dangerous in that Mongolia as a Strict Neutral being attacked by an Axis player would make all the other Strict Neutrals instantly become pro-Allies. This could have devastating effects on the European side of the board.

• Mongolia provides no free troops, I believe they are a true neutral neutral.  Its also a good back door to China if bad rolling or surprise tactics come about to stymy your Japanese task force.  It is a good idea to make Russia back up its northern stacks if you haven’t already annihilated them.

• @Gharen:

Mongolia provides no free troops, I believe they are a true neutral neutral.  Its also a good back door to China if bad rolling or surprise tactics come about to stymy your Japanese task force.  It is a good idea to make Russia back up its northern stacks if you haven’t already annihilated them.

Ah, but they become free troops once the remaining mongolian spaces are converted to pro ally (after Japan attacked or blitzed the others).

Suddenly Russia gets access to more infantry if they make a non-com move into any of the spaces.

• Neutrals, no matter their alignment, can not be blitzed through on their initial invasion/activation.  The rules for neutrals require who ever goes into them must stop.

• @gsh34:

Neutrals, no matter their alignment, can not be blitzed through on their initial invasion/activation.  The rules for neutrals require who ever goes into them must stop.

Krieg has siad that empty non-friendly neutrals can be blitzed

• So, just to be sure, i can blitz into the first empty neutral territory and hit the second neutral territory; but only if someone on my side has already hit a True Neutral and hence the neutral i’m taking is a non-friendly neutral. Correct?

Does that mean that i cannot blitz either the first True Neutral territory i take, or any friendly neutral territories?

• @technobabble66:

So, just to be sure, i can blitz into the first empty neutral territory and hit the second neutral territory; but only if someone on my side has already hit a True Neutral and hence the neutral i’m taking is a non-friendly neutral. Correct?

Does that mean that i cannot blitz either the first True Neutral territory i take, or any friendly neutral territories?

No.  A non-friendly neutral is any neutral that isn’t pro-you.  A true neutral is a nonfriendly neutral.  So you can blitz both Central Mongolia or Tsagaan-Olom to hit any of the other Mongolian territories that you want.

You cannot blitz a friendly neutral (anything pro you) as you can only move into those spaces in a non combat move, and by definition you cannot blitz a territory to gain control during non combat.  Blitzing only occurs during a combat move.  Moving two spaces in a non combat move is just moving.  That’s why mech infantry need a tank to blitz (move 2) during combat but are permitted to move two spaces during non combat.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

As exciting as this seems.

I am putting this in the “Bad Ideas” category unfortunately.

Now if True Neutrals only were continent specific in regards to how they change over… or Mongolia was Pro Comintern/Allies… I would foam at the mouth.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m