• i see alot of german strategies around, but many for japan, which is my country, hence the flag to the left. so i would aprectiate if we could complie some strategies for good ol japan

turn 1- i normally would buy 2 trans, 1 fgtr. then race all my fighters over calcutta to wipe itout (hoping i suvived the UK’s assault) then send in ground troops to take it, this will pretty much destroy th UK influence on the pacific (at least, so far as ive played) then attack china with manchuria and my other coastal terr. leving the coasts quite empty. move your aircraft carriers up to close in on americas east coast. and the subs and destroyers and battle ships.+5 IPC (+4 leftover)

turn 2-at this point id probably want to throw some developments in the mix, and research longe range aircraft, heavy bombers, and either combinde bombardment or jet fighters. that ate up 15 ipc, then ill buy 1 bom, and another transport. ill continue by attempling an assault on los anglees 1st with an air strike, might have to kamikazee a few into his pacific navy,luckiy he never really reinforced his pacific coast and so ill be safe lightning assualting attacking midway then wesern us with 3-4 transports and hopfully air, support and shore bombardment. then i take it . and dont forget to continue assault on the anoying chinese shangheied people.( this might actually take 3 turns to get to this point depending on your luck) Ipc goes up by 10 or 12 and then your raking in the dough, and destroying america.

but really thats the farthest ive gotten, which id say is pretty good for japan. i never have to wory about russia, (the pact) he moves his troops out of western ussr, and il use mine for conquering aisia.

• You can only research one type of technology per round, though you can purchase as many die rolls as you can/want to try and get it.

page 9 of the rules, in bold:  You can choose only one development each turn

~Josh

• 2007 AAR League

I like to build transports and land units and after pearl harbour send my battleships and fighters south with TRNs to pick up Inf to take both New Zealand and Australia in J3. Then everything swings toward Persia, with an IC in India / FIC or both. Being that active in the Pacific early on convinces the US to leave you alone, and then you can concentrate on reinforcing Germany/Africa/pressuring Caucasus.

I like to end up with 7-8 Japanese transports - 4 unloading Japan every round and 4 shuttling infantry toward the front. I like to alternate unloading between Bury and FIC (SZ 60-SZ36 and back) because those are closest to the front where it matters.

• I’m new to this forum, but I’ve got to say, Japan is a fun nation to play: you’ve got influence all over the place, and grow quickly.

As for strategy, some people differ on whether Japan should do Pearl 2 on J1, but my personal preference is to do it every time.  It takes about half of the American naval strength in the Pacific off right away and further discourages them from trying to rebuild, since you’re right there.  In one match I tried to play Japan without doing Pearl 2.  Later result: American navy of 2 CV, 2 BB, 1 DD, 1 SS, 2 Trans, and 4 FIG in the Pacific.  I had to send every fighter I had (9 fighters!) from the mainland, a bomber, and what remained of my fleet to stop them.  I got somewhat lucky (9 hits on the first round of combat compared to his 4) and managed to stop him.  Moral of the story:  Do Pearl 2, no doubt.  You’ve got the forces to do so without taking too many losses (maybe a sub) and destroy a carrier, fighter, and sub.  You also put the pressure on America.

Just my 2 cents  :wink:

• I agree.  Pearl2 is not an option, it’s a necessity.

The fine line for Japan is in judging exactly what forces to commit to that battle.  A lot of that decision comes down to what Russia and the UK did on R1, B1.  One of my primary motives as Allies in round 1 is to try and give Japan a lot of tough decisions to make in J1.  You can’t take very much Japanese territory before J1, but you can put them into position to lose alot if they don’t do something about your impending invasions quickly.

~Josh

• @OutsideLime:

I agree.  Pearl2 is not an option, it’s a necessity.

The fine line for Japan is in judging exactly what forces to commit to that battle.  A lot of that decision comes down to what Russia and the UK did on R1, B1.  One of my primary motives as Allies in round 1 is to try and give Japan a lot of tough decisions to make in J1.  You can’t take very much Japanese territory before J1, but you can put them into position to lose alot if they don’t do something about your impending invasions quickly.

~Josh

i say if your not using the russian treaty and the russians move into buryatia(6 inf) then don’t do pearl harbour but use shore bombardment.

• So whats the purchase for japan? trannies? factories?

what is the current status of factories vs. transports in terms of overall japan strategy.

i favor transports unless you got India , then you would substantually benifit with a factory.

• I like 3 transports, 2 infantry.

Depending on what american does, I might build an IC on J2.

I never go for the US as Japan, but if Germany takes the UK and the games not over (depdning on your personal winning conditions), its always fun to have German invade eastern canada and japan invade western to make the US freak out.

• I prefer this as well.

Transports act as fodder, can take/retake islands, cant be captured and the revised rules allow 1 tank and 1 infantry capacity.

they act as a good threat against american west coast and can add ships to a crippled fleet. Very good to fluff up a navy if allies are going KJF.

However for 16 IPC for can land four units while those factories can only produce 3 units.

India factory is good because it takes transports 2 turns to get their.

Problem with transports is your limited to build only 8 units so if you have more than 4 transports its a problem of diminishing returns.

So i suspect after you have 4-6 transports and all those island soldiers have been picked up you may need to build factories to sustain the growing economy.

• With a bid of $1, 1 IC, 2 TRN, the IC going to FIC or Manch depending on my choice of openning move.

There are actually a LOT of Japan strats earlier in the threads (I know I posted QUITE a few in early 2006).

• i like transports and fighters, (a few inf to go in trans ports) but lightning asssault is AWSOME! run over and amphibious assault us in one turn! WOOT WOOT!

• 2007 AAR League

Japan’s overall strategy is of course clear Asia and march westward unto Moscow.

it’s pretty much the same basic strategy eventually you’re going to want 1-2 IC’s on the mainland + some transports.
    it’s just how are you going to arrive to that point and which way you want to get to Moscow.

it all depends on if there is a bid, and what happened between Russia1, Germany1, UK1.

you might have an extra IPC to be able to build 1 IC and 2 trns right away or just 3 trns + some infantry.

I also like to support the German troops in Africa and put early pressure on Caucasus

• @OutsideLime:

I agree.  Pearl2 is not an option, it’s a necessity.

~Josh

I personally agree people should attack PH. But I know one very fine player Allweneedislove, who runs a great no PH strategy. So some people out there dont do it and can make it work.

• personally, i would like to see more strats for STOPPING the juggernaut that is japan besides kgf  :-P

• @critmonster:

personally, i would like to see more strats for STOPPING the juggernaut that is japan besides kgf  :-P

http://boards.avalonhill.com/showthread.php?t=5456&highlight=bushido

• 2007 AAR League

I love playing Japan, a lot of players under estimate Japan’s potential.  Given Japan’s at start position they should have no problem, taking China, destroying the Peal Harbor fleet, crushing any UK offensive moves, and defending against a Russian Build up in Bury.

With no bid, I would buy 3 transports, 2inf.
    With $1 from the bid I would buy 2 transports, 1IC.
    With $2 from the bid I would buy 4 transports.

Also, I consider Pearl Harbor a must, allowing the PH fleet to survive gives the US a fleet of 2fgt, 1CV, 1BB, 1DD, 1SS, 1tp in sz55 plus any units they purchase…that is suicide.  Japan will have to divert IPC’s to protecting the pacific instead of troops for Asia.

• @jsp4563:

Also, I consider Pearl Harbor a must, allowing the PH fleet to survive gives the US a fleet of 2fgt, 1CV, 1BB, 1DD, 1SS, 1tp in sz55 plus any units they purchase…that is suicide.Â

Join Triple A and play AWNIL. He is currently #5 over there.

• seen and/or done that.  against skilled japanese play it is an expensive waste, especially if you also have skilled german play crushing russia in europe.  i am intrigued by the “asian wall” potential and am wanting to experiment with the much maligned south african complex shuttleing troops into sino-asia combined with an american solomon island staging area and/or sink complex. 
    unfortunately it still seems like heavy uk/usa pressure on germany to free ussr up to push back at japan seems to be the best

since most of our games are the full 5 player it is harder to coordinate the allies effectively.  however, last week we did the sinky binky with heavy russian presence to the east and held japan back long enough to crush germany.  as a caveat however, the skill level of the axis players was in the average range at about 6 games each.  i am confident that if a more experienced player was at the helm japan would have been drinking vodka and headed for the bratwust stand

• crit, what post were you responding to?

• @squirecam:

crit, what post were you responding to?

The one in his head?

IMHO S. Africa IC is useless until you’re already winning.  Beginning game, I’m too busy setting up the infrastructure to challenge Europe and North Africa.  If I spent IPCs in South America, you get South Africa and a decent UK navy if you saved the Australian fleet, but in return, Germany does all sorts of stuff with threatened invasion of London, German transports in Mediterranean, or it just goes tanks and transports on G3+.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m