New Axis & Allies Global War Variant (free map)

• From a game-mechanics point of view, each port should connect to more than one other port at its maximum 3-space range, otherwise it is too simplistic a feature.  You have done a great job of making sure that is the case, I cannot see a single port on the map that fails to connect in this way to at least 2 other ports.

If you want to add a seaport to W.USA, I would suggest the following two ports as complementary:  Wake Island and Gilbert Islands.  I have no idea if these were significant ports historically, I am just looking at this in a game-design frame of mind.  This way you create two diverging shipping lanes from San Diego; a northern route to Wake and a southern route to Gilberts.  Each of those two islands 3-links to a number of other ports, so they themselves could be hotly contested jumping-off points to other areas in the Pacific.

Wake 3-links to:  (Western US), (Gilbert Islands), Caroline Islands, Shantung, the Philippines, and Hong Kong.

Gilbert 3-links to: (Western US), (Wake Island), Western Australia, New South Wales, and the Philippines.

What do you think about this?

~Josh

• Okay, I’ve done a careful review of all of the ports on the latest draft of the map.  The list below shows all of the ports that each port 3-links to, and (in brackets), the ports that each port could 3-link to if all more-direct routes were blockaded.

The only real useless one is the port that straddles sz 10/17 off Great Britain, as SZ 10 does not 3-link or (3-link) to any other port at all.  Move it down to just sz17. (into London, why not?)

Washington S. and Japan are both pretty weak, with only one 3-link and one (3-link) each.  Other than that, everything else looks strongly interconnected.  Here’s the list:

Hawaii – Carolines, New Guinea

Carolines – Japan, Hong Kong, Hawaii, Java, Shangtung (Philippines)

New Guinea – Hawaii, New South Wales, Philippines,  Java (Western Australia)

Japan -  Carolines (Philippines)

Hong Kong – Carolines,  Java

Java – New Guinea, Hong Kong,  Madras W. (Philippines, Malay, Madras E.)

Shangtung – Carolines,  Malay

New South Wales – New Guinea, Western Australia

Western Australia –New South Wales, Malay, Philippines, Madras W., Madras E.
    (New Guinea)

Philippines -  New Guinea, Western Australia, (Carolines, Japan, Java, Malay)

Madras W. – Java, Western Australia, South Africa,  Lower Egypt N., Malay

Malay – Shangtung, Madras W., Western Australia (Java, Philippines)

Madras E. – Western Australia, Abyssinia & Lower Egypt S. (Java)

South Africa -  Madras W.,  Abyssinia & Lower Egypt S.,  Brazil

Lower Egypt N. – Madras W., Gibraltar (Tunisia, Southern Italy)

Abyssinia & Lower Egypt S. – Madras E., South Africa,  Crimea, Tunisia, Southern Italy

Brazil – South Africa,  Gibraltar, Washington N. (Washington S.)

Gibraltar – Brazil, Lower Egypt N., Western France, Great Britain W. (Southern Italy)

Crimea – Abyssinia & Lower Egypt S., Tunisia

Tunisia – Abyssinia & Lower Egypt S., Crimea (Lower Egypt N.)

Southern Italy – Abyssinia & Lower Egypt S., Morocco.  (Lower Egypt N., Gibraltar)

Western France – Gibraltar,  Morocco,

Great Britain W. – Gibraltar, Morocco, Washington N.,  Germany,  Great Britain SE.

Morocco – Southern Italy, Western France, Great Britain W.,  Washington N., Washington S.

Washington N. – Great Britain W., Morocco,  Brazil,

Germany – Great Britain W.,  Archangel,

Great Britain SE. -  Great Britain W., Archangel

Washington S. – Morocco, (Brazil)

Archangel – Germany, Great Britain SE.

Great Britain NE. -  nothing

Hope this is useful!

~Josh

• Greetings, been watching the map develop.  This is a bit off topic but big picture, and I wanted to mention it because I had some development with the Maksimik’s Supreme Command map that I believe yours used.  A big primary issue was playability for Europe.  The Africa distortion largely came from a need to keep the Med. playable, but it just isn’t fun to have troops in Germany without room.  One suggestion would be to get rid of Bavaria and perhaps another spot, and move Berlin in off the coast.  Unfortunate to have Berlin fall from a sea assault in a game of this detail. 
    I am not sure if your program would allow a “bubble” of sorts to expand Europe – it would greatly increase playability.

THe map needs another sea zone dividing line in the Baltic. As it stands now You can industrialy raid london and Berlin Respectively form each other.  In other words they are to close via air and sea through the baltic.  just my 2 cents

• Not trying to break your momentum, but I have to hand it to you. Good Job!

I have been working on a map for A&A Mini’s of Operation Market Garden. It’s very detailed work.

Again great job,

-LT04

• Welcome Rowdy,
    I figured we could discuss rules once the map is complete.  But your right there will be additional rules such as strategic moves, and a new turn order, etc.

Positronica,
    @Positronica:

Put an Airfield in Iceland so that planes flying from the US capital can get there in one turn.  Western France could use an Airfield, too.

Iceland on the other hand needs an airbase so that it can be linked up with the US capital.

Why??

OutsideLime,
    Thanks for the input your list is a great help (it would be nice if you compiled a complete list when we are finish so they can identified easily).

I did not even notice the SZ10 issue.  (Will fix)

Your “Wake, Gilbert, West Coast” idea is the best one yet so I will add it.  (We will see what the group thinks)

Welcome RMN,
    @RMN:

it just isn’t fun to have troops in Germany without room.  One suggestion would be to get rid of Bavaria and perhaps another spot, and move Berlin in off the coast.  Unfortunate to have Berlin fall from a sea assault in a game of this detail.

Not a bad idea, a guy in my gaming group suggested the same thing.

Group what do you think about this?

@RMN:

I am not sure if your program would allow a “bubble” of sorts to expand Europe – it would greatly increase playability.

By “bubble” do you mean sectional blowups like the 2nd edition map??

Thanks for the input

Deaths Head 420,
    Thanks for the 2 cents.  That issue is being addressed.

losttribe04,
    Thanks for the support.

Everyone great input.  Keep it coming.

• What happened to Ceylon, Kiel, Dakar, Calcutta, Mariannas,Port Moresby,Puget sound, Vladivlastok, Portsmouth, and San diego?

• It’s Friday!

The Ninth draft has arrived!

I have made the following changes from the eighth draft:

Added:
    Using Positronica’s rules for airfields (see post above) I have added the following:
    Azores
    Western France
    London
    Italian Somaliland
    Calcutta

Ports:
    New Guinea
    Wake Island
    Gilbert Island
    US West Coast
    West Africa
    Norway
    Leningrad

NOTE: These are suggested airfields/ports they are not set in stone if you don’t like one let me know.

Changed:
    SZ 9 has been divided.  (I have not renumbered the sea zones yet)
    Moved Great Britain’s Port
    Removed Brazil’s Port (I don’t like the idea of a Neutral countries with ports)

Reminders:
    When reviewing the map please consider both historical accuracy and game play.
    The image has been reduced by 50% for faster downloads. (Makes it a little fuzzy)
    Unfinished elements have been removed.
    This is a work in progress.

http://www.mediafire.com/?1cglnzondyt

• Ports:

The most important Germans port: Kiel/Hamburg

Ceylon. The one in india as listed does not exist.

Mariana islands or Marshall islands. The one in wake island never existed.

Puget Sound. The most important US naval port is not represented, while you represented San francisco rather than San diego, which is where our main base was prior to moving to Hawaii.

Replace Dutch new guinea with Papau ( port Moresby). their was not port of significance where you have it.

Dakar is still missing. It was the major vichy port during the war.

Basra should be a port. The southern lend lease effort was directed there and into southern russia.

How come no neutral ports?

• Is overflight of “impassable” zones possible; ie ‘Flying the Hump’ from Burma to China?  I would think so.  However, if overflight is possible, you should consider splitting them somehow to prevent abuse such as flying: Morocco to Lower Egypt or Singkiang to Burma.

• Excellent map.  I can’t wait to print and beta test it.

I think it would be prefered to keep SZ 9 in one piece instead of splitting, as in v9 of the map.  Adding the sea zone will make naval maneuvers for German very difficult.  Is it so bad that London and Berlin can start bomb each other?  Isn’t that what happened?

Also, I agree with changing San Franciso to San Deigo.  While only cosmetic, San Diego was the more prominant naval port.

Craig

@CraigBee:

Excellent map.  I can’t wait to print and beta test it.

I think it would be prefered to keep SZ 9 in one piece instead of splitting, as in v9 of the map.  Adding the sea zone will make naval maneuvers for German very difficult.  Is it so bad that London and Berlin can start bomb each other?  Isn’t that what happened?

Also, I agree with changing San Franciso to San Deigo.  While only cosmetic, San Diego was the more prominant naval port.

Craig

Yes they bombed each other but not Berlin to London or visa versa until later in the war. Yes they bombed the hell out of the Rhineland but not so much Berlin itself. Also we have a little thing called Paratroopers and straight dropping into London from Berlin sounds fun, not very realistic. They have a port in Berlin, so France or northern Norway is only a NC move away.

San Diego is the best Place for The NB

Not sure if this has been covered yet.(2 lazy to back read it all).
    Are these the Final IPC rates? current land Values? I counted each several times.

Axis 110 IPC’s
    Germany 46
    Italy  24
    Japan 40

Allies 208 IPC’s
    US 74
    China 10
    Britain 81
    Russia 43

Neutrals 18
    Should the Allies have twice as much? They should have more but double?

If the Axis powers all out, I mean attack every conceivable bordering and likely sea invasion, it on the first turn they could gain a Max net gain of 46 IPC’s. This not taking into consideration the number of Troops needed to actually need to take each territory.

Japan should make more then Russia.  :evil:

You should complete a sea zone circle around Gibralter. As it is now you can invade Rome by sea from the canary’s islands. The circle should allow the zone to the right, the ability to touch Morocco and N. Algeria.

Airbase in London. Why? I know they had them. For what they do the Benifit is to good in that situation. Please take it off IMO.

Any way nice overall. It’s nice not seeing GE in Russia face yet. Keep up the good work.

• Oh, I do believe he’s right.  There should be a sea zone, the completed circle, for Gibralter.  The right edge of the circle should start at Spain & reach down to include a small portion of  Northern Algeria.    I also understand that renumbering the SZs to accommodate this new one would be an unpleasant task.

• Carl Gustav

• Still great work Deep Blue. On harbors, have a close look on Imperious suggestions.  And further, why isn’t “Scapa Flow” on the east coast of Scotland on the map? It was the largest UK naval base in the war. Also do add some bases to Neutrals as Spain/ Sweden/ Turkey.

• Ok,

Ports
    First off, the ports are not named.  So the port on the Western United States territory is not San Francisco, San Francisco is the VC not the port.  So this San Diego debate is mute.

Second, do not just list ports.  If you want me to consider a port, it must link to another port (Please list the linking ports as well).  If it does not then it is useless and I am not going to put it on the map I don’t care how important it may or may not have been historically.

Third, if you don’t reference the map territories when listing ports, (ie, just list port names) I am not going to spend the time anymore, to look them up.

Impassable
    I am planning to stick with the Revised A&A rules as much as possible.  So I feel that impassable territories should be impassable by all units.  Not to sure that the “hump” is that important and I don’t like the idea of splitting the Sahara.

IPCs
    Have not been addressed.  They are unbalanced and need and complete overhaul.  Let’s get the map finished then we can start that discussion.

• It was mentioned a while back that some of you would like to see the “Oil” rule from A&A Europe added to this map.

What does the group think?

If so I have created an icon to represent this on our map.  (See attached)

Let me know if you want to see this rule and what territories should be consider for Oil territories.

[attachment deleted by admin]

• Ports
    First off, the ports are not named.  So the port on the Western United States territory is not San Francisco, San Francisco is the VC not the port.  So this San Diego debate is mute.

You missed the point. The location of the port should be in san diego. The location of the port is not accurate as you got it in the middle of the state. We allready understand the ports are not named. Also most of us figured you understood basic geography because you at least made a map of the world. I guess ports and cities were not remembered. Below is a list of major ports that are crrently off the map but should be on the map.

Ports:

The most important Germans port: Kiel/Hamburg… its in sea zone 10.5 in west germany. You actually dont have a SZ labeled for the zone between 10 and 9

Ceylon. The one in india as listed does not exist… Ceylon is that island off of the southern tip of india… #64 SZ

Mariana islands or Marshall islands. The one in wake island never existed. Mariana islands is in SZ 103

Puget Sound. The most important US naval port is not represented, while you represented San francisco rather than San diego, which is where our main base was prior to moving to Hawaii. … This is located in Pac northwest but im not sure why the sea zone # 115 cant just cut straight so its in a seperate SZ

Replace Dutch new guinea with Papau ( port Moresby). their was not port of significance where you have it… Its in New guinea…#83… the one in #81 does not exist

Dakar is still missing. It was the major vichy port during the war…#32 but further south of where you got something currently

Basra should be a port. The southern lend lease effort was directed there and into southern russia… Thats at the tail end of Iraq SZ #58

How come no neutral ports?  Lisbon ( its in Portugal), San Paulo ( its in Brazil), Stockholm ( its in sweden), Antwerp ( its in neatherlands)

The one in Italian (actually british occupied abbyssinia) does not exist.

Panama should be a port center. Im not sure why it got missed. Panama is in SZ #27/26

• If so I have created an icon to represent this on our map.  (See attached)

Let me know if you want to see this rule and what territories should be consider for Oil territories.

Yes but only as an oil derrick. That teardrop looks terrible.

Oil centers at:
    Polesti ( romania)
    Mosul ( Iraq)
    Cacasus–Grozny
    Georga-- Baku
    Hungary (possible) it was secondary source for hitlers oil
    Dutch east Indies,Sumatra, Borneo, Java… if thats too many then remove borneo
    Venezuela

on the net look under clip art. If i have to make one for you i can do that.

@Imperious:

If so I have created an icon to represent this on our map.  (See attached)

Oil centers at:
    Polesti ( romania)
    Mosul ( Iraq)
    Cacasus–Grozny
    Georga-- Baku
    Hungary (possible) it was secondary source for hitlers oil
    Dutch east Indies,Sumatra, Borneo, Java… if thats too many then remove borneo
    Venezuela

What about Texas?

• yea forgot! add it.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m