• Sponsor

There are all kind of players - honesty we get a ton of people who email us profoundly upset that things are not MORE historically accurate and we get people who say things are too complicated - but the great news for everyone is you can really pick and choose what you want to do and make your own rules to suit your own style of play.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@HBGWILL:

There are all kind of players - honesty we get a ton of people who email us profoundly upset that things are not MORE historically accurate and we get people who say things are too complicated - but the great news for everyone is you can really pick and choose what you want to do and make your own rules to suit your own style of play.

You certainly can’t make everyone happy. Usually I am content to hear reasoning behind a given decision and I can accept things and/or adapt to them. You guys do some great work. Unfortunately, the applause is often never as loud as the complaining.

• @HBGWILL:

There are all kind of players - honesty we get a ton of people who email us profoundly upset that things are not MORE historically accurate and we get people who say things are too complicated - but the great news for everyone is you can really pick and choose what you want to do and make your own rules to suit your own style of play.Â

A big + to you for that  :-D

• @HBGWILL:

I think you guys will like the new GLOBAL WAR -2nd Edition (1936-1945) coming out in November from Historical Board Gaming. I am the designer on this and we play tested new convoy rules using convoy lines that address some of the issues in this thread.

Looking at the map, I think some territories should have printed mountains or marshes, that effect the combat values. Or HBG should make terrain tokens that can be placed in some territories. Slightly off topic indeed

• Sponsor

Yes!! Global War-2nd edition rules provide rules for rivers, mountains, canals, and there are some impassable zones (Pripets).
    Although (Spoiler) expect Partisans (out this spring) to be able to use the Pripets

• '17 '16

@Narvik:

In this picture, the Convoy Raid works the same way as the Facility SBR, you put a number of chips under it to assign damage, and the owner need to pay to remove this chips in his Purchase units phase, or else he will get less income. I figure a Convoy Zone is equal to 5 IPC of cargo. Or 6 if we want to keep similar to the Port and Airfield. Then the damage cap will be 10 or 12, because you need to replace the sunken merchantmen too, not just the cargo. So if a Convoy Zone has 2 chips under it, then UK will get 2 less IPC during income phase.

Hi Narvik,
    If I really understand, for example, U-boat Sub makes 2 damage.
    If UK doesn’t repair 2 IPCs damaged, his income will be reduced by 2 IPCs and as long as this Convoy is not repaired.
    But if repaired, the income is still 2 IPCs less during the income phase but will be full on the next UK’s turn.
    Is that right?

Or do you meant that over the basic, said 5 IPCs, additional damage can be done up to twice, here a cap of 10 IPCs. But the UK’s income cannot be reduced by more than 5 IPCs for that SZ? So, for instance a 2 IPCs damage is better to be paid on repair phase, instead of reducing income by 2 IPCs at the end of the turn. (Because, on the next turn, repairing still cost 2 IPCs. And no one want to pay twice (less income -2 this turn, and repair -2 next turn= -4 IPCs) for a single 2 IPCs Sub convoy attack.

If the case, I would rather go with a smaller 3 IPCs with a Cap at 6 IPCs, to be similar as possible to AB and NB.
    Please give us a full example of your Convoy damage and repair mechanics.

• Hi Baron.

Really, I don’t know. Your guess is just as good as mine. I just miss the battle of the Atlantic in this game, and was tossing out some ideas.

• '17 '16

Devil is in details.
    I tried to figure out a working mechanics based on your principles but I can’t find a satisfying ones.
    Anyway, cuting incomes if Convoy is not repaired seems an interesting idea which is similar to Bases and ICs repair.
    Hope you can find a simple method to apply it in F2F game.
    Let us know.

• @Narvik:

Hi Baron.

Really, I don’t know. Your guess is just as good as mine. I just miss the battle of the Atlantic in this game, and was tossing out some ideas.

Not sure movable convoy lanes are necessary for a plausible battle for the Atlantic. Agree that KISS is the cornerstone of good game mechanics.

• Customizer

I prefer to think along the lines of many fewer, large sea zones. Ships of both sides can co-exist in them, and must make search (or intercept) rolls to initiate combat. Land based fighters cannot attack ships.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m