• ANYBODY GOT SOME GOOD STRATEGIES
    OTHER THAN A FOUR MOVE CHECKMATE

• @furious:

ANYBODY GOT SOME GOOD STRATEGIES
    OTHER THAN A FOUR MOVE CHECKMATE

Nothing I didn’t read out of the copious books on the game at the local library. My chess game is pretty rusty.

By the by, please don’t SHOUT.  :-) 8-)

• My favorite opening is anything with E4, NF3 which can translate into many K pawn standard ideas, but i favor the Scotch, Kings Gambit ( either declined or accepted), Vienna, Philidors ( ponzianis)  opening.

As Black (where about for some reason i have more victories in tournaments) i prefer the Sicilian defense and many of its variations including: Naidorf, Polugayevsky variation, Open Sicilian, and what Kasparov introduced or rather reintroduced against Karpov in game #22 or it may be #25 of the “second” Moscow championship in 1985 which is a variation of the Sicilian called “hedgehog”. That pawn setup has a true elastic dimension to it, while all the major pieces are working in great harmony.

1. e4/c5
    2.nf3/d6/
    3.d4/cxd
    4.nxd4/nf6
    5.nc3/a6
    6.be2/e6
    7.a4!/nc6
    8.0-0/be7
    9.be3/0-0
    10.f4/Qc7
    11.kh1/Re8

• Theres a 2 move checkmate, but its really dumb because each player has to move the exact pieces in the exact order.  In a real game, it will probaly never happen.

[attachment deleted by admin]

• You need to find your own style, not copy someone else’s.  If your style matches a better player, take pointers from his/her games.  Mainly, just stick to the basics;  develop pieces, control the center, control open files, and see what style you develop naturally. :-)

• @SSG:

You need to find your own style, not copy someone else’s.  If your style matches a better player, take pointers from his/her games.  Mainly, just stick to the basics;  develop pieces, control the center, control open files, and see what style you develop naturally. :-)

Nothing wrong with copying someones style if your a noob to chess.  Thats what I did, and then when I felt I was getting better, I modified the style a little and made it my own.

• Mech,

We’re saying the same thing, just in different ways.  You learned a method, then changed it to suit your style.  That’s different than trying to memorize moves and play a rote game, because someone else did it that way.  The thought behind the moves and the modification to suit the situation requires a different thought process than memorization. :-D

• Easy. Get ahead on tier 2 pieces, and just trade your way to victory.

• Here are some general considerations in Chess:

1. occupy the center by direct means or by indirect means ( hypermodern chess).

2. develop your center pawns followed by knights followed by Bishops. Try to avoid moving the same piece twice.

3. allways castle on the side you have developed first

4. do not “open any windows” by pushing pawns that are in front of your king.

5. do not engage in any attacks until your army is fully deployed.

6. by a copy of Aron Nimzowitsch “My system”  and José Raúl Capablanca “Chess fundamentals”

7. find a weakpoint in opponents position and use your superior pawn structure and position to capture your first pawn. This will create an ever greater weakness in his position.

8. allways play positionally rather than by tactics alone

9. figure out what a good vs. bad Bishop is and try to kill the enemy’s good bishop will keeping your own.

10. a Bishop is allmost allways better than a knight especially if you no longer have a queen.

11. allways occupy the open file… rooks are best for this.

12. dont put your queen out too early and dont move the knight on the boards edge. " a kight on the rim is dim"

13. if your ahead trade and simpify your position

14. if your down avoid exchanges especially dont trade your queen

15. If the enemy gets a passed pawn you must gaurd it with with all posible forces. It will only grow stronger as it passes each rank

• Don’t be scared to trade pieces.

• The key is endgame. You can know all the fancy opening moves, complex defensive positions and postures for deploying your pieces, but if you don’t know how to progress toward, initiate, and conclude an endgame, you’ve got nothing, and your elaborate defense will crumble from the pressure. Either that, or, if you are good enough to thwart the opponent’s postures at endgame, you will result in a stalemate.

This is a lesson I’m currently learning. I can set up my board fairly well, and engage the enemy, but my endgame is lacking, and I often find myself in the reactionary position to the opponent’s endgame. Sometimes, I can maneuvar myself in such a way to thwart his attempt, but this ends in stalemate more often than checkmate of his king.

Also: Always take the initiative when you have the opportunity. If you are able to make moves in such a way as to keep the opponent reacting rather than initiating, you should eventually win. Obviously, if the player is better, or even matched, it may be a hard fought battle, or he may be able to outposition you and steal the initiative. But as a general rule, you should be directing the progress of the game, not reacting to your opponent’s direction.

• yeah i do pretty okay n teh begging ansd in the middle but my end game is horrible.  i can nmever see how to get my oppent into cheeck mate other than 2 pieced occuping 2 diffent coulmns. any other easy end game stargies?

• Cyan your spelling is horrible…

learn about king and pawn positions and the “opposition”

Your canidate pawn (queening pawn) should be protected by a rook behind it.

If you have bishops on the board make sure your pawns are NOT on squares of the same color

If the enemy has a Bishop make sure you occupy squares of the same color as this piece

Get your king in the center of the board near the pawn islands

if you have a flank with a pawn majority its a good idea to start a pawn roller on that side. push the unopposed pawn first. If you have a rook use it to cut off the enemy king from that side of the board.

try to get your king in front of your advancing pawn islands.

trade pieces when your ahead

never trade when your behind especially if you still have a queen/knight combination. it allows for more active play than any other 2 pieces. it keeps your possibilities open to get back in the game.

• @MechanizedWarfare:

Theres a 2 move checkmate, but its really dumb because each player has to move the exact pieces in the exact order.  In a real game, it will probaly never happen.

I’ve lost count of the games in which I’ve done it.  Maybe 10+.

• @murphybilly82:

Don’t be scared to trade pieces.

Don’t be scared NOT to trade pieces either.

• 4 simple pointes to get someone started:

Middle, Develop (get light pieces in position, bishops and knights), 0-0 (don’t know the English word for it) and Attack!

• 0-0 means in algebraic notation- castle kingside

0-0-0 means castle queenside

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m