Japanese Units used for American Cruisers

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

Hi, has anyone bought the 2nd Edition and had a nationality have the wrong pieces? Just curious!

My American cruisers are actually Japanese cruisers in this edition.

I haven’t checked to see if there are anymore mistakes, but was curious if anyone has run into this before?

Thanks,

John

• A&A Guadalcanal was notorious for its cruiser inversion (green IJN-pattern cruisers and orange USN-pattern cruisers), but I’ve not heard of 1942(2) having the same problem.

I guess I’m the lucky one! :-D

• @John:

You could even conduct a miniature replication of Operation Crossroads, the American A-bomb test that used a few US-owned Japanese warships as target vessels.  A green German Hipper-class cruiser would be nice too (since Prinz Eugen suffered the same fate), but alas WotC never seems to have made that particular production goof.

@CWO:

@John:

You could even conduct a miniature replication of Operation Crossroads, the American A-bomb test that used a few US-owned Japanese warships as target vessels.  A green German Hipper-class cruiser would be nice too (since Prinz Eugen suffered the same fate), but alas WotC never seems to have made that particular production goof.

Thanks for the historical information. It is always nice to learn something new. :-)

• @CWO:

@John:

Addendum for the Rulebook:
    If you win with the Allies you’re entitled to collect all remaining Axis ships in a single SZ then drop all the game dice into that SZ while saying “booommm”.

• Evening Hobbes.
    I hope you have been well. You have been missed.

@Hobbes:

@CWO:

@John:

If you win with the Allies you’re entitled to collect all remaining Axis ships in a single SZ then drop all the game dice into that SZ while saying “booommm”.

LOL, I will have to remember that! :-D

• @Hobbes:

@CWO:

@John:

Good one.  And since the game is over, the player would be exempted from first having to spend research IPCs develop A-bomb technology.

• @Hobbes:

I’ve just checked and it would specifically be SZ 32.  Operation Crossroads was conducted at Bikini Atoll in the Marshall Islands.  As an added refinement, the player would be allowed to place a suitable mushroom sculpt next to the assembled target ships, for example the one seen in this picture:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/108844/sushi-jalapeno-war?size=large

• @wittmann:

Evening Hobbes.
    I hope you have been well. You have been missed.

Hey wittmann, hope everything is good with you too. I’ve been busy with life (and other games) but I check these forums once in a while.

@CWO:

@Hobbes:

@CWO:

@John:

You could even conduct a miniature replication of Operation Crossroads, the American A-bomb test that used a few US-owned Japanese warships as target vessels.�  A green German Hipper-class cruiser would be nice too (since Prinz Eugen suffered the same fate), but alas WotC never seems to have made that particular production goof.

Good one.  And since the game is over, the player would be exempted from first having to spend research IPCs develop A-bomb technology.

I bought 3 nuclear blasts and 30 radiation markers. I going to have a game where if you develop the technology and drop one those bombs, the space you drop it in and spaces around it three spaces deep will be affected for the rest of the game. You won’t be able to cross by sea or land, and won’t be able to fly over it for the rest of the game, because of the radiation.

What do you think? :-D

• Customizer

I would refer you to this thread:
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=32634.0

Some good discussion and ideas on implementing nukes. Out of curiosity, where did you get your blasts and radiation markers?

@ossel:

I would refer you to this thread:
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=32634.0

Some good discussion and ideas on implementing nukes. Out of curiosity, where did you get your blasts and radiation markers?

Thanks for showing me this thread ossel. I got them on the Historical Board Gaming Website. :-)

• @John:

I bought 3 nuclear blasts and 30 radiation markers. I going to have a game where if you develop the technology and drop one those bombs, the space you drop it in and spaces around it three spaces deep will be affected for the rest of the game. You won’t be able to cross by sea or land, and won’t be able to fly over it for the rest of the game, because of the radiation. What do you think? :-D

If realism is a consideration, I’d say that it would be excessive for even a single territory to be affected in this way – let alone a radius of three territories – given the low yield of WWII nukes and the large geographical area represented by most of the map territories.  On the map, for instance, Japan is a single territory; with the exception of Tokyo, individual cities (like Hiroshima and Nagasaki) aren’t even shown.  Rjpeters might be able to calculate how powerful a nuke would have to be to render all of Japan impassable due to radiation, but my own impression is that the yield of such a bomb would be on the scale of the meteorite that wiped out the dinosaurs 65 million or so years ago.  The blast would probably wipe out half of the pieces on the entire Pacific 1940 game board, much to the dismay of the Chinese, ANZAC and British players and of the US forces located from Hawaii westward.  I don’t think the real A-bomb attacks on Hiroshima and Nagasaki rendered them impassable: the initial flash did cause fatal irradiations and I assume that the fallout did produce some localized hazardous zones, but nothing on a scale that would have affected military operations to any appreciable degree, especially beyond the range of a few kilometers from ground zero.

@CWO:

@John:

I bought 3 nuclear blasts and 30 radiation markers. I going to have a game where if you develop the technology and drop one those bombs, the space you drop it in and spaces around it three spaces deep will be affected for the rest of the game. You won’t be able to cross by sea or land, and won’t be able to fly over it for the rest of the game, because of the radiation. What do you think? :-D

If realism is a consideration, I’d say that it would be excessive for even a single territory to be affected in this way – let alone a radius of three territories – given the low yield of WWII nukes and the large geographical area represented by most of the map territories.  On the map, for instance, Japan is a single territory; with the exception of Tokyo, individual cities (like Hiroshima and Nagasaki) aren’t even shown.  Rjpeters might be able to calculate how powerful a nuke would have to be to render all of Japan impassable due to radiation, but my own impression is that the yield of such a bomb would be on the scale of the meteorite that wiped out the dinosaurs 65 million or so years ago.  The blast would probably wipe out half of the pieces on the entire Pacific 1940 game board, much to the dismay of the Chinese, ANZAC and British players and of the US forces located from Hawaii westward.  I don’t think the real A-bomb attacks on Hiroshima and Nagasaki rendered them impassable: the initial flash did cause fatal irradiations and I assume that the fallout did produce some localized hazardous zones, but nothing on a scale that would have affected military operations to any appreciable degree, especially beyond the range of a few kilometers from ground zero.

Yeah, I got to thinking, that might not be realistic, but would make the game interesting. It would end the game quick! I might put it on a "what if scenario, LOL? :-D

• @John:

Yeah, I got to thinking, that might not be realistic, but would make the game interesting. It would end the game quick! I might put it on a "what if scenario, LOL? :-D

Here’s an even faster way to end the game, inspired by this movie:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crack_in_the_world

Assume that the joints where the Global 1940 map board sections meet are geological fault lines.  Detonate a nuke on one of these joints.  The planet’s crust breaks open from pole to pole and the world explodes.  End of game.

@CWO:

@John:

Here’s an even faster way to end the game, inspired by this movie:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crack_in_the_world

Assume that the joints where the Global 1940 map board sections meet are geological fault lines.  Detonate a nuke on one of these joints.  The planet’s crust breaks open from pole to pole and the world explodes.  End of game.

Yeah, that would be the end of the game, alright, LOL!

• Customizer

The conclusion the other thread reached was that the best solution was to permanently award whatever Victory City was bombed to the attacker, and maybe damage production. This reflects what the use of these weapons in WWII was trying to accomplish.

@ossel:

The conclusion the other thread reached was that the best solution was to permanently award whatever Victory City was bombed to the attacker, and maybe damage production. This reflects what the use of these weapons in WWII was trying to accomplish.

I read and that does make sense. I will just have to experiment some time when I have the chance.

Thanks again for showing me that thread.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m