• yea. Ive heard from knowledgeable people (graduates of USMA) that I could have converted my AFA acceptance into a West Point acceptance rather easily, though Im not sure how. But it wouldnt have been possible anyway, because I hadnt opened an application with the Air Force academy (having 0 interest in going there) and i was notified of my appointment several days before the deadline. I couldnt have completed the application in that time, had i wanted to. But by that point, i had decided against a military academy. i wonder what would have happened if i had elected to pursue my appointment.

• @Janus1:

yea. Ive heard from knowledgeable people (graduates of USMA) that I could have converted my AFA acceptance into a West Point acceptance rather easily, though Im not sure how. But it wouldnt have been possible anyway, because I hadnt opened an application with the Air Force academy (having 0 interest in going there) and i was notified of my appointment several days before the deadline. I couldnt have completed the application in that time, had i wanted to. But by that point, i had decided against a military academy. i wonder what would have happened if i had elected to pursue my appointment.

BNot to bust your bubble, just correcting terminology.  You had a Nomination to USAFA, which means you had the listing from a politician.  In order to get an appointment, you have to fill out the application, go through a lot of screening, especially medical.  Then if you pass the screening AND if you get a nomination, you move on to final review for an appointment.

It is possible to get an appointment without a Nomination, but it is very rare.  And to get an appointment after being nominated but without going through the Pre-Candidate and Candidate screening process is impossible.  You can get to USAFA prep-school that way And then get direct admission the following year) but without the med screenings, no way to get an actual appointment (though in your case, having pursued West Point, you may have been able to get in based on that physical, etc.).

Each politician (Congressman and Senator) has 5 “slots” for each Academy.  Each year, for each available “slot” they have, they can submit up to 10 Nominations.  The politician can set up one of these as a “primary” which means that if the primary nomination is qualified, he MUST be accepted and get an appointment, or it can be an open list and the Academy can take any of the 10.  In my case, Congressman Shuster had nominated the son of a campaign contributor as his primary, but the kid did not meet standards for admission, so I was selected by USAFA as Shuster’s Nominee from the remaining 9 names.

Just trying to correct the various terms :-)

• I was visiting one of my (palliative - i.e. about to die) patients today, and i asked if she had a moment (to chat about her pain control, etc.).  She said "sure . . .

Larry King doesn’t need to be on ALL the time"

• “I don’t like that guy.  If he was drowning and needed my help, I’d throw him a cinder-block.”  :evil:

• @AgentOrange:

"I don’t like that guy.  If he was drowning and needed my help, I’d throw him a cinder-block."  :evil:

“i wouldn’t pee on him if he was on fire”

• Ha!  That’s the spirit!  :lol:

• Not to bust your bubble, just correcting terminology.  You had a Nomination to USAFA, which means you had the listing from a politician.  In order to get an appointment, you have to fill out the application, go through a lot of screening, especially medical.  Then if you pass the screening AND if you get a nomination, you move on to final review for an appointment.

yea, used the wrong term. sorry. i had a nomination to USAFA, and i had passed DODMERB, I hadnt yet taken my physical test as part of my application, but i met all the minimum requirements.

• What happened to putting down your favorite quotes?

Here’s another one from yet another Navy buddy of mine:

“You know that show Pimp My Ride?  Well you need to be on the show Pimp My Life.”

• my old Sargent used to say a lot of weird things. after i good day of terrorist hunting he would start yelling “woooo hot damn i haven’t had this much fun since i pulled down your mamma’s pants ripped off her grandma undies and turned her butt into a hat!” he was a weird guy, he also always like to tell me that i was the wolf in the sheep’s skin (i look like a total loser pussy, but i was among the best hand to hand and marksmen in my unit)

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

The Infantryman’s Creed (United States Army, of course)

I am the Infantry.
    I am my country’s strength in war,
    her deterrent in peace.
    I am the heart of the fight-
    wherever, whenever.
    I carry America’s faith and honor
    against her enemies.
    I am the Queen of Battle.

I put the whole first stanza in only so you knew I wasn’t making this up!  Also, and maybe this should be in the joke thread, but that’s inconvenient right now:

What is the root word of infantry again?  That’s right!  INFANT!!!  Sorry, I like picking on gropos (ground pounders.)  It’s payback for being picked on as a zoomie!

• I’ve also heard of Marines being referred to as “Crunchies”  :mrgreen:

• you can have all the air force and navy you want, you cant capture a grass hut without at least one ground pounder.

If your target is overseas??? I haven’t heard of our boys walking on water…

• it doesnt matter where your fighting, you cant capture squat without the marines. :mrgreen:

• My
    Ass
    Rides
    In
    Navy
    Equipment

• My
    Ass
    Rides
    In
    Navy
    Equipment
    Sir!

• :x can  we get back to the original topic you Corp haters? :x

• Exactly! you would think this was a discussion about earths gravity or something… :mrgreen:

• “Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world”
    Kaiser Wilhelm- one of my personal heros

• which one ?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m