Global 2nd edition Q+A ( AAG40.2)

• @DMcLaren:

How can Germany move into Bessa if they’re not at war with Russia?  Because it’s Italian now?

Yes.

That doesn’t seem to make sense to me because it was originally Russian.

Doesn’t matter.  It’s Italian now.

Separate question: Is the US allowed to move it’s Philippine and Hawaii navies into the sea zone off Queensland (sea zone 54) on round 1 or is that prohibited by the “Powers not at war with one another” blue box that restricts the US from Japanese areas?  US couldn’t use the naval base, but can it still be in that sea zone on the way to Philippines or somewhere else?

Yes, you can move the navy anywhere that doesn’t border a Japanese holding.  Again, original doesn’t matter - it’s current only

Can’t use the naval base of Australia because Australia is not an ally of the USA yet, right.

• Paris, France is captured by Germany.  Since the French capital has been captured, can an Allied power move a land unit into any French territory during “Non-Combat”, place a control marker on it and take the IPC from that territory?

Based on the rule book it appears that the French territory would need to be captured by an Axis power first before an Allied power can liberate it and then take the IPC value.  But, the rule book seems a bit vague; looking for clarification.

• @SandsTGSP:

Paris, France is captured by Germany.  Since the French capital has been captured, can an Allied power move a land unit into any French territory during “Non-Combat”, place a control marker on it and take the IPC from that territory?

No.  Same as any Ally whose capital is under enemy control, you can’t convert their territories to your own (can’t take control).

You need the Axis to take control of it, and then you can.  Quirky, but A&A has been played this way since the beginning, more than 30 years running.

Based on the rule book it appears that the French territory would need to be captured by an Axis power first before an Allied power can liberate it and then take the IPC value.  But, the rule book seems a bit vague; looking for clarification.

Oh, yes, that’s right.

• '15

Maybe worth mentioning:

Dutch territories are the special exception. Only Britain/ANZAC can move in on a non-com phase and take control of the territory. The US can’t do it, nor can the French or Russians if your game got super weird. The Dutch territories are still 100% allied territories though, as if they belonged to a power with their capital taken, so you can land planes on them if they are still Dutch-controlled without issue.

• All well said, but we have learned that the Dutch territory in South America can NOT be taken over by UK/ANZ  :-P

• '15

Well, that may be. Damn!

But you can still land planes there as if it were an allied nation from the start of the game.

Now, why exactly you’d ever want to do that, or why you’d want a facility there when you have the ton of other options, I don’t know.

• Airbase protection of fleet, or naval base, perhaps
    Stranger things have happened

• '15

Maybe if you just wanted to hurt British Guiana’s feelings, I guess?

• Throw out the welcome mat and hope the Axis captures it so you can take it back.  Then the Americans can take control  :evil:

• Hi Yall,

so, I still can’t use the search function of this site, and so I didn’t search up that question either, but oh how i tried^^

So I play TripleA a lot and I just noticed, that in the notes to the g40.2 map it says:
    “(PE) Transports can only be loaded in 1 phase (not both), and unloaded in 1 phase (not both).”
    the (PE) standing for player-enforced.

But my understanding was, that one could load and unload a transport during combat move phase.

Which one is correct?

Thanks

The Odor

• You’re both right, you just misinterpreted the Triple A note

It means you can’t load in the combat movement phase and then unload in the non-combat phase and that you can’t unload one ground unit in one phase and another unit from the transport in a different phase

• @Gamerman01:

You’re both right, you just misinterpreted the Triple A note

It means you can’t load in the combat movement phase and then unload in the non-combat phase and that you can’t unload one ground unit in one phase and another unit from the transport in a different phase

Ah…
    Phrasing^^

well thank you for the swift and concise answer.

• It’s what I do  :-D

You’re welcome, any time

• Sponsor

The last Q&A on this FAQ thread was almost a month ago, that’s gotta be some kind of record!

• '15

I’m sure this has been answered before, but I’m on my phone bored a train station so downloading the rulebook PDF or viewing my physical one isn’t practical.

Question:

I2:
    Italy declares war on Russia.

G3:
    If Germany does not declare, they gain their +5 IPC bonus from trading with Russia (and can move into any Italian territories taken from Russia). Let’s assume Germany does not want to walk into Karelia so they can keep troops in Finland against a possible allied landing in Norway, and Italy already took Eastern Poland/Baltic States so there’s nothing of value there and Germany can still advance.

There is a German sub in SZ 125 + Russia holds archangel (naturally, it’s only G3) + there are no allied units in Russian territories.

R3:
    Russia can declare war on Germany R3, of course, since they are already at war with Italy, right? But what if they don’t? If Germany does not declare war, and Russia does not declare war on Germany, does Russia still get their +5 NO from lend/lease since they are not at war with Germany and so that German sub in SZ125 does not matter? A drawback of this is being unable to reclaim any territories the Italians took, but with the Germans there this is impractical anyway, especially since those territories are only worth 1 or 0 IPCs.

What does the rule book say about this NO? Does it say no enemy axis warships present in 125? Does it simply say no axis warships present?

As always, thank you.

• Just no Axis warships present. A German (or Japanese, even though that’s impractical) sub will prevent the NO even if that power is not at war with Russia. An Italian one would prevent it too if Russia was at war with Germany but not Italy for some reason.

• That’s right, since Russia is at war (with Italy) they could get the NO, but there must be no Axis warships present in 125, and that includes Axis powers that Russia is not at war with, so Russia might as well declare war on Germany anyway

• Sponsor

@Bentley:

Question: if you were to transport an AAA with a troop on a transport and conduct and amphib assault, would the AAA be put on land in the CM phase or stay on the transport until the NCM phase?

I may have another question depending on the answer to this one. Thanks.

That’s a good question Bentley, AAA Guns can’t be moved during the combat movement phase, and during amphibious assaults, a transport must unload all it’s cargo into the same territory. I will ask someone who will know for sure and I will post their answer here.

Cheers.

1. You can’t load an AAA gun onto a transport during the combat movement phase, so to have an AAA on your transport during the combat movement phase, you would have had to have loaded that AAA onto the transport on an earlier turn, in the non-combat movement phase.

2. If you do already have an AAA on a transport during the combat movement phase from an earlier turn, and you conduct an amphibious assault with that transport by unloading 1 infantry onto an enemy territory, you may not unload the AAA during that turn at all.  This is because once a transport unloads (it unloaded an infantry) it is DONE for the turn and cannot ever do another unload during that non-combat movement phase.

So the answer to your question is neither.  You can’t unload the AAA in the combat movement phase (this is never possible) AND you can’t unload the AAA in the noncombat movement phase EITHER, if you unloaded an infantry from that transport in the combat movement phase.

In other words, to say it more simply, AAA can only be moved in the non-combat phase, therefore can only be loaded or unloaded during the noncombat movement phase.  A transport may never unload 1 unit in the combat movement phase and the other in the noncombat movement phase.

• Sponsor

Thanks Gamerman, I’ll pass that on for you.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m