• @Mallery29:

The point was to have WRus and Ukraine attacked R1 and load up in WRus (not a only WRus all-in, that’s a bad idea on Russia’s part IMHO)…not a fan of the barely hitting WRus…the stack in WRus with Ukraine hit gives 6 total planes to attack with WRus, but if those 2AA hit a number of planes with some luck of the dice, the game could be over without it getting past Rd1…that’s all I’m saying.

I think this is where the confusion is at…Germany to attack the WRus stack without having the Ukraine units would not be a smart move by Germany…could do it to weaken the Russian stack, but at what cost/risk to its own stack and by allowing the allies to toy around in the Atlantic. � Definitely a HIGH RISK/HIGH REWARD type scenario, but this could easily blow up in the Axis face right away…

I think the general consensus is to attack Ukraine, so the point of view has to be taken with Ukraine out of commision. � Do you attack WRus now as Germany on G1? � I think even just doing 1 round of attacks and then retreating is not worth it…not going to risk it with a 55% chance of losing (you’d probably only eliminate the Russian inf while losing the inf/tanks on the attack with a distinct possibilty of losing FTRs).

If this was JUST an all out WRus attack (by Russia), I would proably hit WRus G1 too (ignoring Caucus) and deal with the Atlantic on G2.

Germany waits until the end of the Soviet round to decide. What territories did the Russians attack and what were the losses. Then it decides if it wants to attack West Russia or not, based on those factors. That’s why I have those tables already from 1st Ed., I can easily check the odds, based on territories attacked and Soviet casualties, and decide if it is worthwhile or not.
    The WR + UKR Soviet opening is the best to prevent a G1 WR attack but the dice ultimately decide - if the Russians have more than 3 losses on WR or can’t clear UKR of German units then it can be worthwhile for the Germans to go after WR.

• Saw the tables (nice job btw), and understand all…

• Ukraine attack is no good.

You lose them for nothing when you could have taken Finland and probably protected those army’s from demise on g1. Finland attack kills the same number of Germans.

Of course the German player can invade Finland devoting naval units, but the idea is to do anything to tempt the German player to not killing UK naval on G1.

• @Imperious:

Ukraine attack is no good.

You lose them for nothing when you could have taken Finland and probably protected those army’s from demise on g1. Finland attack kills the same number of Germans.

Of course the German player can invade Finland devoting naval units, but the idea is to do anything to tempt the German player to not killing UK naval on G1.

If Soviets go after Finland then they’ll most likely lose West Russia on G1 (just check the odds) and Germany can still sink SZ7 and SZ14, without needing any of its planes.

• @Imperious:

How are 3 German inf > 3inf/art/tank/FTR?   Without Karelian help in WRus, WRus will fall along with Karelia and you’ll have your troops in Finland surrounded….Ukraine or Bust.

• @Imperious:

My knee-jerk reaction is that the Finland attack sucks, but I admit that I’m fallible and I could be mistaken. I’d love to hear exactly what the opening move you suggest is, and I’ll be happy to analyze it and/or try it a couple times to see how it plays out.

The only real weakness with the move I see is it lets the German player basically ignore Karelia and head South, doing some combination of the following: attack West Russia, attack Caucasus, and/or stack Ukraine.

• @UrJohn:

My knee-jerk reaction is that the Finland attack sucks, but I admit that I’m fallible and I could be mistaken. I’d love to hear exactly what the opening move you suggest is, and I’ll be happy to analyze it and/or try it a couple times to see how it plays out.

The only real weakness with the move I see is it lets the German player basically ignore Karelia and head South, doing some combination of the following: attack West Russia, attack Caucasus, and/or stack Ukraine.

Check the table above on my previous post. If the Soviets attack Finland and West Russia on R1, then they don’t have enough units leftover on West Russia to defend against a German counterattack on G1, even if they move everything to West Russia, assuming average losses. Germany then simply attacks WR, takes Finland, Karelia and stacks Ukraine. Then Caucasus falls on G3-4.
    But if you attack Belorussia instead then you kill the same amount of infantry and earn 2 IPC instead of 1 (on Finland). So why would anyone want to attack Finland with Russia on G1?

• @Mallery29:

I think the general consensus is to attack Ukraine, so the point of view has to be taken with Ukraine out of commision. � Do you attack WRus now as Germany on G1? � I think even just doing 1 round of attacks and then retreating is not worth it…not going to risk it with a 55% chance of losing (you’d probably only eliminate the Russian inf while losing the inf/tanks on the attack with a distinct possibilty of losing FTRs…again, any luck roll by the AAs would be way too costly and game over for the Axis).

If this was JUST an all out WRus attack (by Russia), I would proably hit WRus G1 too (ignoring Caucus) and deal with the Atlantic on G2.

If I understand correctly, you’re saying you wouldn’t hit WR on G1 provided the Russians hit Ukraine.  Then what would you suggest Germany do in such a situation?  Possibly take Kar, retake Ukr?

• @MistuhJay:

If I understand correctly, you’re saying you wouldn’t hit WR on G1 provided the Russians hit Ukraine.  Then what would you suggest Germany do in such a situation?  Possibly take Kar, retake Ukr?

We’re actually pretty much down to sending everything that can reach to Ukraine except FTR from Russia and sending everything else to West Russia including 2 AAA in NCM.

• @Cromwell_Dude:

@Hobbes:

So why would anyone want to attack Finland with Germany Russia on G1?

;)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m