• My friends and I have been playing Alpha 3, not 3.9, and I’m considering moving on to the new version. I normally play as Germany and the rearrangement of naval units in the Atlantic really trips up the naval attacks I used to do in A3.

In particular, moving the UK and French cruisers from SZ112 into 110/111 seems to be a huge buff for Allied naval survival after G1. I wouldn’t mind this so much if the German cruiser stayed where it was, but being stuck in 114 with no naval base means there’s no way to get it into the action on the 1st turn.

In Alpha 3 my typical play was this:

G1 purchase: 1 carrier, 2 transports

to SZ112
    -SZ113: 1 battleship, 1 cruiser
    -Poland: 1 tac bomber
    -Slovakia: 1 fighter

to SZ111
    -Norway: 1 fighter
    -Holland: 1 fighter
    -West Germany: 2 tac bombers
    -Germany: 1 strat bomber
    -SZ118: 1 sub
    -SZ124: 1 sub

to SZ110
    -West Germany: 2 fighters, 1 tac bomber
    -Germany: 1 strat bomber, 1 tac bomber
    -SZ103: 1 sub
    -SZ108: 1 sub

to SZ106
    -SZ117: 1 sub

This play doesn’t really work anymore, since I can no longer use the planes in Slovakia or Poland in the naval attacks. Also with the addition of another curiser into 110, it’s now a no-brainer for the UK to scramble its fighters in 110 with the attacks I was carrying out before.

Now, it seems like if I want to sink the entire fleet on the 1st turn I should change my buy to 3 fighters to replace the losses I’m inevitabily going to suffer. So, what are the typical G1 moves to sink the UK fleet in 3.9?

• Can’t sink both fleets, but you must sink 110 or italy is pretty screwed.

• TripleA

there are no fleets in sz 112… you have the old version that does not exist anymore.

please play the new version, uk got extra guys on his capital for game balance, ships in 112 were moved back as well.

Anyway, the current version of +3 is the final version and will see a printed edition. Play that, anything else is pointless.
    ~

you can sink sz 111 and sz 110. 2 subs and 6 air units for sz 110 is minimum. 2 subs and 4 air units to sz 111 is minimum. You have a battleship you can toss into combat.

you can do 2 subs 1 bship 1 fighter 1 tactical at 111 or 2 subs 1 fighter 1 tactical 2 bomber. sz 110 is either 2 sub 6 air, 2 sub bship and 6 air or 2 sub 6 air 1 bomber, depending on how you like to do things.

• This is what I do:

SZ111:
    2 Bombers (Germany)
    1 Ftr (Norway)
    1 Tac (Wgr)
    1 BB (SZ113)
    2 SS (SZ124 and SZ118)

SZ110:
    3 Ftr (Holland, Wgr)
    3 Tac (Germany, Wgr)
    2 SS (SZ103 and SZ108)

SZ106:
    1 SS (SZ117)

Now I do leave SZ109 open and I leave the CR in SZ91 alone.  Some people don’t like this move because they think SZ110 is more crucial to sink.

From my experience, 1 of two things tend to happen in SZ110:

1. I get good rolls and sink the fleet and there are scrambled Ftr remaining.  I retreat after the ships are sunk, and I’m willing to leave even a crippled BB if the two CR are gone.  I won’t expose aircraft to massive losses, but I’m willing to trade the possibility of sinking all 3 ships at the exchange of two SS.

2. I get average rolls and they get good rolls and dip into 2 units beyond the two SS I sent along.  MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR OPPONENT ROLL FTR SEPARATE FROM THE BB.  This is very important, but gets overlooked due to the lack of DD present.  This allows you to take hits from the 2 CR and BB with your SS before having up to 3 Ftr roll at your 6 aircraft.  Odds are you may lose 1 or two, but if the CR missed, you can take a hit from the BB on a SS instead of Ftr/Tac.  Again, if I get a bad roll on the first round, I just retreat.  I’ll sink any exposed ships on G2 and I still have a CR to sacrifice to do it with.

It isn’t a perfect move, but I’ve been satisfied with it up to this point.

• I like to sink the z91 cruiser because it makes a taranto attack harder for UK.

• TripleA

spendo you should swap the bomber from 111 to 110.

Who cares about the cruiser in 91. uk can just bring a fighter to 97 from london. to do so would distract a sub or bomber, can it work? sure. but in ll and dice games it is risky.

This game is all about NASH theory and risk reward analysis.

• Have no map now.

2subs sink dd,tranny

1sub,1battleship, 3fgt,3tac sink 2cruisers and BB

2subs,1fgt,1tac,2bmb sink dd,cruizer and BB.

• TripleA

yeah that is the standard move rommel, works everytime in low luck games.

for dice games, if I buy barbarossa… UK sometimes scrambles 110 and makes me very sad when his 8-13% chance to defend happens (forgot the odds).

• I really like to get the cruiser in 91 to help ot Italy.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

I think you basically HAVE to sink the Sz91 Cruiser.

It’s not an option,  it’s not a potential strike.  It’s a MUST.

I’m also toying with the idea of clearing the navy off of Southern France…

For the European axis to have a GOOD game (Which makes life easy)  Italy has to be a major player, and HAS to be protected by Germany, with efforts made by German units to secure Italian NO’s.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

G2 should consider if possible, the invasion of Gib/Morocco, especially if there is no destroyer blocking the capture.

• @Gargantua:

Would you also take Southern France too?

• i usually have:
    2 subs 1 bb 3 fig 3 tac to 110
    2 subs 1 fig 1 tac 2 sb to 111
    and 1 ss to 106

• Thanks a lot for the responses guys. I just played a game and went for the 2 subs/battleship/3 fighters/3 tacs to 110 and 2 subs/fighter/tac/2 bombers to 111. Worked like a charm.

• '20 '18 '16 '13 '12

@Gargantua:

For the European axis to have a GOOD game (Which makes life easy)  Italy has to be a major player, and HAS to be protected by Germany, with efforts made by German units to secure Italian NO’s.

If this is the case, (and I think it may be) how would you do it? IE: Where would you reposition your ressources? It seems to me you cna only get your two subs down there. 1 sub on each 111 and 110 then?

• @Canuck12:

@Gargantua:

If this is the case, (and I think it may be) how would you do it? IE: Where would you reposition your ressources? It seems to me you cna only get your two subs down there. 1 sub on each 111 and 110 then?

Probably have to ignore one of the two SZ’s or risk losing aircraft in the process which is counter productive when you trade aircraft for cruisers.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m