• TripleA

I sent an extra tactical fighter to sz 35 instead of to kwangtung. Ignore that. Just put it on kwangtung attacking or keep it on Japan if you are paranoid about America attacking.

If USA does attack your little fleet, 3 kamikaze dd 3 kamikaze cruiser. You will most likely get both of the naval units and wipe the remaining ships defending at the loss of a few units.

IT is actually a big risk for both sides. I play for speed so I like to gamble with the odds in my favor, global takes too long to finish otherwise.

• TripleA

I find that people new to Japan and want to learn how to play it will do J1 DOW, because it can be relatively strait forward. You take islands, you make money, the end.

Experienced players tend to do J2, unless G1 went really bad for them… in which case they will do J1 and try to bang out a win that way.

The reason experienced players lean towards a J2 is because you can get diced doing a J1 DOW, Like the bship can get 2 hits, Phil can sometimes score 4 hits. Kwangtung can be annoying with snake eyes, yunnan can get 4 hits and make you sad a little.
    ~

In a low luck game, J1 DOW is the most optimal decision. All your attacks go smoothly, you need only 2 fighters on Japan to defend. Everything perfectly calculated. The bship dies in one round of combat hits the cruiser 2/3 games and the other 1/3 you have a cruiser alive (yay).  Everything is good.

J1 DOW low luck games, all day every day. I do not care if Russia supports china or what have you. I do it because I want money and I want India making less money sooner. I am taking India rounds 4-6 depending on what juicy attacks the allies want to give me or not give me.

Sometimes you have to make a choice to be defensive and keep USA from getting a foothold in Korea / Japan sea zone… or to just take India and kick him out later. Like those are legitimate decisions you face and you can go either way on that one. Personally I prefer to knock out Calcutta and deal with USA later (bring german bombers to the Pacific this prevents those lone destroyers from blocking your entire fleet).

Yes German bombers in the Pacific are critical, bring them over after Germany takes russia unless something went wrong in Europe and you are betting on Japan winning… then by all means bring bombers over sooner than later.
    ~

Funny story, I attacked Russia with 20 tanks and missed 17 of them… Russians hit almost all their dice… I only had one option left… win in the Pacific within the next two rounds… had 9 german bombers in China after that failed attack… 9 German bombers was the difference between me taking Hawaii and me losing the game. He could not block my naval. I could not be stopped and the 9 german bombers suicide attacked before Japan went ALL IN.  I sunk his naval barely and took Hawaii.

Good times. If I had more time I would out maneuver him and go Carolines to threaten New South Wales and Hawaii.

Another game I had German bombers defending the Kiangsu because I took New South Wales after Calcutta and I needed to hold all the VCs. Rolling 6 bombers and 2 japan fighters against 8 usa attackers… I DEFENDED! He was so mad.

• '13

Wow - thanks guys for taking the time to post such details.

Based on your feedback, I’m thinking declare on  J3.  Time to get loaded transports and air support in position. It’s possible to declare on J2 and go for Philippines and Malaya. But isn’t waiting to J3 better if I am A) more prepared, and B) if UK or Anzac DOW turn 2 that puts the US out until turn 4 which would be great.

Other points. Game is low luck. My intention with Russia was for one turn only, with potential for gaining IPCs up north without spending too much more. US1 saw a transport, carrier, and tac go in at Eastern US so no disruption to sea lion coming that way.

after UK move.jpg

• TripleA

Interesting. Try J1 DOW next time. USA can only send 1 bomber to reinforce london anyway. Sometimes they send a fighter to iceland.

If they do not, well easy sea lion and your pacific is full throttle.

• Need your help COW.

1. We are as far as China in Rd1.

2. I’m setting up for a full Sea Lion G3.

3. I did J1 and have all units where they should be. I couldn’t take Hunnan, bad rolls.

USA moved all ships next to California to the Bahamas. Only Hawaiin fleet left in Pacific.

Do I take Australia now?

Also, he’s going FULLL atlantic. I need help with G2. I bought 1CV 2TT G1.

• TripleA

Either Calcutta or ANZAC is fine. Both are good. If you go for ANZAC you can go for Hawaii and can block him from reclaiming hawaii with destroyers so you can pick up the quick 6 VC win.

The benefits of taking ANZAC is that for 9 ipc a round (3inf buy), you can make it really hard to liberate for the allies… and that is what you make off that island so it pays for itself.

The drawback is your fleet get scattered.

• TripleA

To take ANZAC you either have boatloads of men going from Japan to Caroline to New South Wales or you land a bunch of dudes in western australia then fly your entire airforce over a round later then attack.

I prefer to take India first. If he is giving you new south wales, by all means, take it.

• What should my J2 purchase be?

I’m thinking a minor in Fic. Not sure what else.  Only 2nd time playing with Japanese

• Also, is there a way to post pics via android?

I need help with G2 as well.

I have 72 I believe.  Im think 6 or more TT and a DD or so. Maybe a SBomber.

I guess my question is, where is the optimal positioning for German troops by end G2 so they can maximize attaxk G3

• TripleA

If you are playing a live game, just trust your instincts. Be fearless. That is the best way to learn.

• Yeah, it is a live game.

I just need a little help with J2 purchases

• @Cow:

If you are playing a live game, just trust your instincts. Be fearless. That is the best way to learn.

Best strategic advice ^^ Sometimes I purposely  play “experiment” games where I know I have a good chance at losing. But I learn from those games and can synthesize all my new ideas into a stronger future game and it makes me a better player in the long run. Also, I look at how people have beaten me and there’s no shame in copying errrr I mean “learning” from them too.

When I started A&A I lost all the time, now I am a decent player in my group because I just try things out. It’s only a board game :P

• TripleA

It is hard to say without seeing the board.

minor factory is nice. more boats with men. fighters. Can never go wrong buying more fighters. airbase or naval base if you need the extra movement to do a big attack.

• Would the minor and airbase both be in FIC?

• @Cow:

It is hard to say without seeing the board.

minor factory is nice. more boats with men. fighters. Can never go wrong buying more fighters. airbase or naval base if you need the extra movement to do a big attack.

So we just finished J2 and UK2 so I can line up my nexy move for Japan.

I have 6 TT with 7 available troops in range of Calcutta,  3 fully loaded AC and the rest of my planes ( 5figt, 6tac, 2SBomb)in FIC where I just placed an AB, Iac and shipyard. I own Shan State. I know usually this is where u hit Calcutta EXCEPT he evacuated most his troops to western India.

Western India: 7in 2art 2figt 1tbomb
    India: 1inf 2art 2aa

I have an idea what im gonna do but have you ever dealt with this before?

• TripleA

Yes, when this happens usually you drop a few units and attack India with air. Then when he liberates it you take it back…

If he does not liberate it, just spam 3 infantry there a round and eventually it is yours forever.

• Thinking about purchasing a IC in Malaya next turn…

Also, RUssia initially moved back from Amur but now they have several units in Korea and the rest in Amur…Trying to figure out how to stop this one

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15

I think J1 DOW is probably a solid move. But what is the best way of dealing with the chinese? Especially in the rounds before India falls? If you leave them alone a couple of rounds they are all over the place. If you fight them it tends to slow down the campaign against India. I do not see any clear strategies for this here. what do people do?

• TripleA

I usually deal with it later. More conservative players deal with it sooner. It is preference.

I like to take out India as soon as I can, usually round 4-6 depending on what the allies do (if they give me juicy battles to do instead).

I really like India out of the game, because say things go awry for you in the pacific like a pacific vc is not going to happen…. once Germany takes Russia the allies struggle to defend Egypt. Ideally the allies want India alive because that is their second Russia.

• What’s the pros/cons against DOWJ1 everywhere but the Phil’s?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m