• @theROCmonster:

I think the new way to play the game should be the axis have to take 14 victory cities to win. 6 on pacific, or 8 on atlantic just seems too easy to one of the axis to get.

It won’t work. If that’s the case USA goes 100% Euro side untill UK can manage Euro Axis alone and then strike back Japan.

• TripleA

14 vc is really hard for axis, there is a reason for the current VC conditions.

• Maybe 12 victory cities for axis? or 13? I just don’t like that the axis can win on just 1 board even if they are getting hammered on the other. Makes the game unbalanced IMO.

• @theROCmonster:

Maybe 12 victory cities for axis? or 13? I just don’t like that the axis can win on just 1 board even if they are getting hammered on the other. Makes the game unbalanced IMO.

And US spending everything on one side or the other is unbalanced either? If the allies had to lose on both sides, it’d be too easy for them to concentrate on one or the other and destroy one before moving on. I’d trade one or two allies for either Japan or Germany/Italy and still have pretty good odds of winning the game.

• For vitory it cant be 12 cities, because Japan can go from 2 to 5 in a single turn. And Germany can get 7 pretty easy. 13 victory cities is just the same as 8 in Europe or 6 in Pacific because the axis on both maps can get 1 short of their goal pretty easy. 14 would be like having to win on both maps and would be pretty hard to do.

So imo the split victory conditions work the best.

• I just don’t like how one axis can be totally getting destroyed while the other one wins the game even though the allies are killing. Makes the game in favor of the axis just for the sheer reason they can dictate the game so well, and they have 36 planes combined….

• @Noll:

It won’t work. If that’s the case USA goes 100% Euro side untill UK can manage Euro Axis alone and then strike back Japan.

I agree. The way I see it, the spirit and aim of the game is to see the Allies share their efforts and work together on both fronts. If they concentrate on just Germany or Japan, they will kill it, but fail against the other because it’s too late, that is the beauty of the game. That is why the Allies are harder to play.
    Changing to more VCs would lead to make that possible.

• @theROCmonster:

I just don’t like how one axis can be totally getting destroyed while the other one wins the game even though the allies are killing. Makes the game in favor of the axis just for the sheer reason they can dictate the game so well, and they have 36 planes combined….

I think the split VC works best, maybe you could add in a requirement that the axis control all 3 axis capitals. But even that i think would allow the allies to just play on 1 board, it might end up being a race for Moscow and Tokyo to see which one falls first.  So I think it best to leave as is.

• Then how do we balance this game to make allies have a better than just 40% chance?

• '16 '15 '10

7 vcs for a Pacific victory might be worth trying.

• TripleA

I think it is close enough that a small allies bid is enough, changing the VCs is a huge blow to axis. I find that axis breaking allies economic advantage usually occurs when they have all the VCs anyway… The game is more or less a big race for the axis and changing how far they must run is a much bigger dent than an extra piece or two.

As far as the allies are concerned, this is the least flexible axis and allies game printed. It is more Nash theory than it is anything else.

• @Karl7:

After playing Alpha 3.9 numerous times on the forum and off against many players, I draw the conclusion that Alpha 3.9 favors the Axis decisively for one reasons:

The Allies cannot effectively stop a USSR crush.

The USSR is too under powered to stop it, and the other allies cannot get in there fast enough to stop it without losing to Japan.  The allies either have to KJF and hope they can rerout once that’s done to hold on to Cairo or to just hope Japan stumbles, giving them enough time to counter Germany.  Either way is a crap shoot and futile if Germany and Japan really hammer the USSR.

Ummm… No if you play youre cards right allies have the advantage.

• @450thMSAF:

@Karl7:

After playing Alpha 3.9 numerous times on the forum and off against many players, I draw the conclusion that Alpha 3.9 favors the Axis decisively for one reasons:

The Allies cannot effectively stop a USSR crush.

The USSR is too under powered to stop it, and the other allies cannot get in there fast enough to stop it without losing to Japan.�  The allies either have to KJF and hope they can rerout once that’s done to hold on to Cairo or to just hope Japan stumbles, giving them enough time to counter Germany.�  Either way is a crap shoot and futile if Germany and Japan really hammer the USSR.

Ummm… No if you play youre cards right allies have the advantage.

That’s what I’m saying.  That being said, I’m not 100% sure who has the advantage one way or the other.  Still playtesting really.

• If you think allies have the advantage your axis players suck.

• @theROCmonster:

If you think allies have the advantage your axis players suck.

Ok tell that to better players here on the forum.

Nice try. :lol:

• @questioneer:

@theROCmonster:

If you think allies have the advantage your axis players suck.

Ok tell that to better players here on the forum.

Nice try. :lol:

completely agree… I’ve played many games and the Axis do have the advantage simply because they are in position.

• TripleA

@questioneer I can play on the forum, but using triple a instead of battlemaps. Dice results get emailed to me, it is easier to check that then every little piece, etc. Also people aren’t honest about their movements on battlemaps I noticed.

I know all the bugs on triple a for global so it is easy for me to make it proper. Example say you are italy and you want to scramble sz 97 when I drop greece… if sz 97 is empty triple a won’t give you that option to scramble (so add an italy transport and you can scramble and then I delete the transport after if I have to).

Also if you attack a sub with just air units and make it submerge, it won’t do convoy disruption… this just requires players not do that (there is no point to doing it other than someone wanting to cheat out of a convoy).

Trying to think of other bugs… Germany said he wanted to bomb the airbase with the tacticals and bomb the IC with his bombers… what ended up happening was all the damage went to my major. Last two rolls are the bomber’s rolls the rest is tacticals… so I give uk money to repair the tactical damage, I wrote that number down and deleted my air base, that number was the damage that was done to my airbase and must be paid by UK in order to use it (I would edit uk’s money away when I wanted to use it again).

That last bug hasn’t happened to me for some time now. The first two will be fixed soon enough.

• Finally…great, nice of you to join the club.  I’m glad you came to your senses.  I think you’ll like playing PBF here.  I’m sure live games are cool, but most people just don’t have that kind of time.  If I play a live game of G40, I’ll play FTF with my gaming group on a Saturday or something.

Yes I use TripleA for PBF now- really nice, really easy.
    ABattlemap is over.  I don’t expect that to last long.

I believe Veqryn just came out with list of bugs to watch for (there’s like 5-6 minor ones).
    I pushed hime to make an update sooner than later…he said in about a month which is cool- swell guy.  It would be wise of him to make it ASAP b/c now a lot of people are catching on to TripleA PBF so then he will get more support and donations.

Start a thread as Germany and send me the link via PM.  I suppose we can play a string of games (one after the other) and hash some of these openings out.

• Would be interested in seeing how your game goes. Keep me posted. Oh and by the way I am an expert bro.

• @theROCmonster:

Would be interested in seeing how your game goes. Keep me posted. Oh and by the way I am an expert bro.

LOL- that’s what everybody says here it seems.  We’re all experts and nobody sucks. :lol:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m