If you were to design your own Axis & Allies game…. ?

• @Clyde85:

@empireman:

I always wanted a WW3 game thats in 2015.
    Countries would be USA, NATO, SEATO VS. URCS (United Russian Communists States) , China, Arabs.

You do know that while is far from a free and open democracy they are know where near the USSR anymore, right?

The storyline is that a Communist rebelion starts in Russia and the win and form the URCS

• You can come up with any number of scenarios to have a resurgent USSR type Russian opponent, but why? It’s just kind of an annoyance of mine but, in a gaming world(and in gaming in general) where there are 100’s of possibilities why in the name bollocks burgers to we always come back to a scenario where cold war gets hot? I know we didnt get to have a great big punch up like we did during WW2, but that was probably for the best. Why not have a scenario where the Vietcong have space lasers, or the Taliban ride giant mechanical snakes, and are trying to cross their soldiers with snakes there by turning themselves in to Cobra?  :-D

Im mostly joking but still I think there are better options then the classic “Russians invade Europe while the West and the US try to stop them”. Why not have a scenario where China is trying to invade the south china sea with one power being China, another being the US, and then one being an amalgamation of Vietnam, Philippines, Malaysia and Indonesia, a south-china sea alliance if you will. Or how about one where Russia is really weak and can only buy infantry and is facing an invasion from the south by an amorphous Muslim/terrorist organization and the West (NATO) and the US have to try to save Russia before the terrorists get to Moscow and gain control of Russia’s nuclear arsenal?

• Clyde, I think its because the propaganda value of the Axis & Allies games is the theme that Captain America always saves the day.  That’s why we have games like Guadalcanal and D-Day but no Stalingrad.  Even in Global the Americans’ role is way overrepresented.  If my memory serves me right, the Russians sacrificed something like 27 million people in the war (about 1 in every 8 Russians), while America lost less than 1 million.  America certainly tipped the balance in Europe and they did win the war in the PAcific but really it was the Soviets who bore the brunt.

I think we should have a game where America is taken over by a small right-wing group of Wall street types who declare war on Iran and…… wait no that’s real life.

• @Vance:

Clyde, I think its because the propaganda value of the Axis & Allies games is the theme that Captain America always saves the day.  That’s why we have games like Guadalcanal and D-Day but no Stalingrad.  Even in Global the Americans’ role is way overrepresented.  If my memory serves me right, the Russians sacrificed something like 27 million people in the war (about 1 in every 8 Russians), while America lost less than 1 million.   America certainly tipped the balance in Europe and they did win the war in the PAcific but really it was the Soviets who bore the brunt.

I think we should have a game where America is taken over by a small right-wing group of Wall street types who declare war on Iran and…… wait no that’s real life.Â

hmmmm in most of my global games the Soviets are represented well as they throw stacks upon stacks of infantry at the German invaders.  As often a Soviet player I can really feel for STAVKA wanting the western allies to do something as soon as they can in Western Europe! In the end, it is not about losses but power!  Remember that the USA in the war went from a moderate navy to having more ships than all of the combined nations.

If I had to design an in depth Axis and Allies game I would try to start it in 1936 where players had the opportunity to spend a few turns just buying and placing units of their choosing to mimic the pre war build up in Europe.  This way the game would have a lot of freestyle play instead of being overly historical.

• '14

36?!  Lol….it’s comming soon!!!

• @Clyde85:

You can come up with any number of scenarios to have a resurgent USSR type Russian opponent, but why? It’s just kind of an annoyance of mine but, in a gaming world(and in gaming in general) where there are 100’s of possibilities why in the name bollocks burgers to we always come back to a scenario where cold war gets hot? I know we didnt get to have a great big punch up like we did during WW2, but that was probably for the best. Why not have a scenario where the Vietcong have space lasers, or the Taliban ride giant mechanical snakes, and are trying to cross their soldiers with snakes there by turning themselves in to Cobra?  :-D

Im mostly joking but still I think there are better options then the classic “Russians invade Europe while the West and the US try to stop them”. Why not have a scenario where China is trying to invade the south china sea with one power being China, another being the US, and then one being an amalgamation of Vietnam, Philippines, Malaysia and Indonesia, a south-china sea alliance if you will. Or how about one where Russia is really weak and can only buy infantry and is facing an invasion from the south by an amorphous Muslim/terrorist organization and the West (NATO) and the US have to try to save Russia before the terrorists get to Moscow and gain control of Russia’s nuclear arsenal?

I just like making diferent scenerios.
    I have made one where Communist Rebels break out in south america and Russia.
    I dont want to post the whole storyline but the countries are:

Allies:
    USA
    EU (European Union)
    Russia
    Democratic Nations (Brazil, India, ect.)

Communists
    China
    Arabs
    Communists rebels

@Clyde85:

Why not have a scenario where the Vietcong have space lasers, or the Taliban ride giant mechanical snakes, and are trying to cross their soldiers with snakes there by turning themselves in to Cobra?  :-D

What the-?

• Customizer

@Hartwich:

If I had to design an in depth Axis and Allies game I would try to start it in 1936 where players had the opportunity to spend a few turns just buying and placing units of their choosing to mimic the pre war build up in Europe.  This way the game would have a lot of freestyle play instead of being overly historical.

That sounds pretty cool, but I’m not sure it would work right. In a game like that, BOTH the Axis and Allies would be building up forces. One reason that the Axis were so successful in the earlier part of the war was because the Allies had weaker militaries due to trying to stay at peace while the Axis, bent on aggressiveness, built up massive war machines.
    Then again, you did say that you wanted a game that was not quite so historical. I guess this could be a “what if” scenario. Like, “What if the Allies were better prepared militarily?”

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Why not have a Scenario, where fascits or ultra nationalist red necks take over America.

And AMERICA invades the free world, starting with Mexico.

You could have a whole political system, where free nations like Canada, or the UK, could either JOIN the American Conquest, or RESIST it.  A “if you’re not with us, your with the terrorists” kind of mentality.

Each nation/power, would have independant victory conditions, which if met, call the game to close.  Points compared.  Winner takes it all!

The more nations that join the American Player, the less points the American player gets at the end if they win - but they’re not likely to win alone.  And of course, any countries that try to retain -some- independance by joining the Americans, would also lose points for themselves, though ensuring a higher possibility of securing their OWN goals.

That, or a multinational battle for control of the SPACE around earth.

• @Gargantua:

Why not have a Scenario, where fascits or ultra nationalist red necks take over America.

And AMERICA invades the free world, starting with Mexico.

You could have a whole political system, where free nations like Canada, or the UK, could either JOIN the American Conquest, or RESIST it.  A “if you’re not with us, your with the terrorists” kind of mentality.

Each nation/power, would have independant victory conditions, which if met, call the game to close.  Points compared.  Winner takes it all!

The more nations that join the American Player, the less points the American player gets at the end if they win - but they’re not likely to win alone.  And of course, any countries that try to retain -some- independance by joining the Americans, would also lose points for themselves, though ensuring a higher possibility of securing their OWN goals.

That, or a multinational battle for control of the SPACE around earth.

LOL epic
    That would be cool :lol:

• Or an American invasion map. The UK and Russia both lost to the axis powers. While fighting some smaller battles in Africa and the middle east, they now focus on taking over the Americas. With the only ally to be Argentina on the Americas mainland, they now face a coalition of the remaining American powers with the United States, Canada and Brazil as the most important ones.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Or an American invasion map. The UK and Russia both lost to the axis powers. While fighting some smaller battles in Africa and the middle east, they now focus on taking over the Americas. With the only ally to be Argentina on the Americas mainland, they now face a coalition of the remaining American powers with the United States, Canada and Brazil as the most important ones.

COOL

A what if the Americans stayed out of the war, and the axis won scenario.

I like it.

It can even include a tech race for the bomb.

• @Gargantua:

Or an American invasion map. The UK and Russia both lost to the axis powers. While fighting some smaller battles in Africa and the middle east, they now focus on taking over the Americas. With the only ally to be Argentina on the Americas mainland, they now face a coalition of the remaining American powers with the United States, Canada and Brazil as the most important ones.

COOL

A what if the Americans stayed out of the war, and the axis won scenario.

I like it.

It can even include a tech race for the bomb.

Sounds like Fortress America in 1940s

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m