TripleA 1.5.0.0 and US/Chinese turn

• These are the official rules.

“China and its units are controlled by the U.S. player, but for game purposes it is considered a separate power and its
    resources cannot be mixed. The U.S. player takes China’s turn at the same time as the U.S. turn but Chinese unit combat and
    movement are done separately from the U.S. forces. The U.S. player must complete the Combat Move and Conduct Combat
    phases for Chinese forces before beginning the Combat Move phase for U.S. forces, or vice versa.”

Now TripleA works fine following the rules. Actually, it should be nicer if the player could choose which nation starts.
    The problem with the forum is not vital. It is more important to follow the rules and turns cannot become separate. Don’t you agree?

• Customizer

I agree in principle, but in practice things are more difficult…

Feel free to download the source code and contribute your time rewriting the engine to cover this very minor point.
    We are open source, and rely on the contributions of people who are working for free.

I prefer to spend my time (unpaid) trying to get major functions and features working, like for Global 1940.

A minor technicality that is only hypothetical, and never affected a single “real” game, is so far down on the TODO list, that I doubt it will ever get done.  (unless of course, someone besides me decides to help)

• @soundcrescent:

These are the official rules.

Now TripleA works fine following the rules.

No it does not. Just follow this thread and you will read that in the map-XML the sequence of actions is not rules-compliant (Chinese Battle is after US NCM).
    Veqryn explained the reasons behind that.
    The approach of seperating China from USA is to be more accurate in sight of information in the posts when PBF.

• @P@nther:

@Veqryn:

i think in the future, i will move the chinese and american turns to be separate

what is better, China then America,
    or America then China?

I would prefer China then America.

Thanks  :-)

Veqryn, I have to correct myself.
    It has to be America before China, otherwise China would not be able to place its units in a territory that was liberated by USA before.
    If it ever comes to an update.
    I could do this, if it helps….

• Customizer

China gets +1 infantry for every 2 territories on the board at the beginning of the Chinese turn.

If I put China after the USA, then China could potentially get additional infantry if the USA liberates a territory for it.

So it either has to be:

1. the current way, with the turns intermixed.

2. China completely, then USA completely.

I haven’t tested yet, but if the current method lets China place units in a territory that USA liberated, then I guess we better stick with the current method.

• @Veqryn:

China gets +1 infantry for every 2 territories on the board at the beginning of the Chinese turn.
    If I put China after the USA, then China could potentially get additional infantry if the USA liberates a territory for it.

Right, I forgot that.

• So to sum all of this up we have got three alternatives to consider:

1. Leaving the game-XML as it is with the following steps:

1. Tech/Tech activation US
    2. Purchase US
    3. “Purchase” China
    4. CM US
    5. Battle US
    6. NCM US
    7. CM China
    8. Battle China
    9. NCM China
    10. Place US
    11. Place China
    12. End China
    13. End US

2. Separating - with China before US

3. Separating - with US before China

Issues with solution 1 (leaving XML as it is)

• fact: turn posts are crippled
    • fact: US cannot NCM into territoires China just liberated (“battling the same time”)
    • fact: China cannot weaken territories for US (the same turn)
    • to be tested: can Chinese place their Infantry to territories just liberated by US (“battling the same time”)?
    • to be tested: can Chinese NCM into territories just liberated by US?
    • anything else?…

Issues with solution 2 (China before US)

• fact: turn posts are correct
    • fact: China will not be able to place units in territories “just liberated” by US
    • fact: China will not be able to NCM into territories “just liberated” by US
    • fact: US cannot weaken territories for China (the same turn)
    • anything else?..

Issues with soultion 3 (US before China)

• fact: when US liberate Chinese territories “just before” the resulting number of Chinese Infantry may be too high
    • fact: US will not be able to NCM into territories “just liberated” by China
    • anything else?..

Within the next days I will test some scenarios and post my impressions here.

• @P@nther:

Issues with solution 1 (leaving XML as it is)

• fact: turn posts are crippled
    • fact: US cannot NCM into territoires China just liberated (“battling the same time”)
    • to be tested: can Chinese place their Infantry to territories just liberated by US (“battling the same time”)?
    • to be tested: can Chinese NCM into territories just liberated by US?
    • anything else?…

Results:
    Yes, China can NCM into territories just liberated by US.
    Yes, China can place units to territories just liberated by US.
    Gameplay is close to the rules, apart from the stated issues.

@P@nther:

Issues with solution 2 (China before US)

• fact: China will not be able to place units in territories “just liberated” by US
    • fact: China will not be able to NCM into territories “just liberated” by US
    • fact: US cannot weaken territories for China (the same turn)
    • anything else?…

Gameplay is different from solution 1 and 3 because China’s actions are limited in NCM and Unit Placement.

@P@nther:

Issues with solution 3 (US before China)

• fact: when US liberate Chinese territories “just before” the resulting number of Chinese Infantry may be too high
    • fact: US will not be able to NCM into territories “just liberated” by China
    • anything else?…

Gameplay is exactly the same as with solution 1.
    For the benefit of exact turn posts players additionally have to take care about the number of Chinese territories and use “Edit Mode” if the number of Chinese Infantry would be too high.

So as a consequence - when ignoring solution 2 - the choice is between
    a) crippled turn posts - but no need to take care about China’s spawning Infantries
    b) exact turn posts - but take care about Chinese territories/spawning Infantries

If turn posts do not matter the result should clearly be “a”. But why do people post their turns then? Why do they PBF then? Exchanging the savegames would be enough for gameplay.

If turn posts do matter the result could be “b”.

Personally, I sometimes like to read through the turn posts in the “play boardgames” section and just read what people are doing. And I would like to see what happens with US and China without having to download the savegame, use “Game History” and so on…
    That is the advantage of a forum and forum games.

Just my thoughts so far…

• Customizer

i guess we should leave it with solution 1.

most players will not be aware of the need to use edit mode to delete units, even if I post a giant news item somewhere

ps: triplea 1.5.1 is out

• @Veqryn:

i guess we should leave it with solution 1.

most players will not be aware of the need to use edit mode to delete units, even if I post a giant news item somewhere

Yes, I agree. It would be difficult to bring this to everyone’s attention.
    @Veqryn:

ps: triplea 1.5.1 is out

Great, I will test it this evening.

Thank you :-)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m