Are Superbowl Champions - WORLD Champions? (Poll)

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

A 3 way split!

Incredible!

• To be a world Champ you need to play teams from all over the world
      living in a fantasy world,  tell them that

• If nobody else in the world can beat you then that would make you world champions
    just because most of the world doesn’t play that sport doesn’t change that fact

• '12

Doesn’t and can’t are two different animals.  If it was up to Toronto Canada then there would be an NFL team there and a chance to be ‘world’ champs in NFL as Toronto did in baseball, became ‘World Champs’, twice in fact.  The powers that be dictate that no foreign teams may exist in their league so it is in my books, not accurate to then proclaim to be world champs.

The powers that be dictate that no foreign teams may exist in their league

OWNED!

Wow that seals the deal then.

• yea Canada should definitely have a nfl team
    they should have more than one
    Vancouver Seattle what a rivalry that could be!
    but using your logic Toronto wasn’t world champions in baseball either
    funny because it’s called the world series but Japan and many others don’t have teams
    same for hockey no russian team in nhl
    I think soccer would be about the only sport that is represented worlwide:)

I cant believe people actually think that by winning the superbowl you should be allowed to call yourself a World` Champion.

Ridiculous!

• Does this matter? If I recall, we have already covered this topic before.

• @Gargantua:

I cant believe people actually think that by winning the superbowl you should be allowed to call yourself a World` Champion.

Ridiculous!

Do you think that American football would be a popular / played sport in say, India?  Or Nigeria?  Or China?

Besides, it’s really not logistically possible to have a ‘world’ league.

it’s really not logistically possible to have a ‘world’ league.

That’s a bunch of horse dung.  Soccer seems to manage ok.

• @Gargantua:

it’s really not logistically possible to have a ‘world’ league.

That’s a bunch of horse dung.  Soccer seems to manage ok.

But to my point about ‘world’ popularity (that you just ignored), it’d be too costly to fly around the world to play in countries that do not have a strong American football following.  Not enough income to offset the cost(s).

Trying getting 60,000 indians to watch an american football game, every week for 19 weeks.  Hell, even some American Cities were not selling out the games.

Not going to happen.

• cbs fox tv nfl etc… would pay the cost and India would definitely watch the Redskins and the cowboys
    I would and you would too…well alot of people would at any rate:)

• The NFL has the room for a few more teams, not many. Once Los Angeles has a team *to get the NFL into one of the top 2 TV markets, the NFL will turn to Canada and Europe for the next team. The NFL wantes nothing greater than to become world sport. This i promise.

• Los Angles doesn’t deserve a NFL team, they couldn’t keep the teams they have.

But to my point about ‘world’ popularity (that you just ignored), it’d be too costly to fly around the world to play in countries that do not have a strong American football following.  Not enough income to offset the cost(s).

Trying getting 60,000 indians to watch an american football game, every week for 19 weeks.  Hell, even some American Cities were not selling out the games.

Not going to happen

So you AGREE with what this poll is about?  That they can’t call themselves WORLD Champions, because they haven’t earned the right!  The sport isn’t even popular enough!

And interesting insight ABWorsham…  especially considering that recent game in London.

• They’re World champions because right now North America is the only place that American football is played.  I didn’t know that the winner of the super bowl wins because they are the most popular team (popularity has NOTHING to do with the title).  As already pointed out, the NFL IS trying to expand to other countries.  This is by no means something more than a first step as the fans who attend the games overseas go to watch more out of curiosity rather than being a true Fan.  Hell, most British watching the game have no idea what the Rules are!

Next, are you going to argue that the Miss Universe pagent is mis-labelled as well since there’s no contingent from Mars?

Guess what?  There’s no life (as we know it) on Mars to partipate in the Miss Universe pagent, just like there’s no country to participate in the NFL world championship outside the USA.  That does not preclude calling the Super Bowl champions, the world champions.

I am sure there are countries in which Soccer is not played in an organized league fashion.  All I need to point out is one, and then there can be no world cup (following your line of thinking)

I am sure there are countries in which Soccer is not played in an organized league fashion.  All I need to point out is one, and then there can be no world cup (following your line of thinking

The world cup will accept anyone who fields a team and wants to enter, aslong as their qualifications are satisfactory… just like the olympics.  Just like Miss Universe.  In fact, Miss Universe WOULD accept alien species, if we knew about them, I remember reading an article in time where that was discussed.

That said. North America isn’t the only place “American” football is played.  The European league, though it has some different concepts and rules, is largely the american game,  like the CFL, OR the XFL in it’s day.

Regardless,  Like the MLB, even IF someone could field a team good enough to beat the socks off your run of the mill NFL team, they wouldn’t be allowed to challenge them.  THUS the “World Champion” title, should be stripped from anyone who’s ever said they held it.

• That said. North America isn’t the only place “American” football is played.  The European league, though it has some different concepts and rules, is largely the american game,  like the CFL, OR the XFL in it’s day.

The NFL champion is just that, if the scrubs playing so called “American Football” in Europe had skills they would be trying out for real paying contracts in the NFL, rather than getting paid 20,000 Euros for a D league.

Also, The NFL champ is of the world is just that. If nobody from outside USA has the money to buy into the business, they have no claims to any argument which essentially says:

“The NFL Super-Bowl champion of the world is anything less than that”

It’s just rubbish and nothing but another excuse to make the type of argument where somebody is trying desperately to make Canada better by attempting to denigrate something American.

It is a failure as usual.

• The NFL will attempt an overseas adventure with an team, i can’t say it will work or not. Worth a try, better than a small U.S market city. The London game should have been better teams, first class teams like a Dallas Cowboy and Oakland Raider match up.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m