What Expansions Don't Work Well Together?

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

Another Expansions topic here.

What expansions have you found that do not work well together? Or maybe cannot work well together? I know in reading the rules for some of the expansions there are sometimes contradicting directions. I think this was more of an oversight in design than intentional, but I think no one here is surprised by that. I’ve asked those questions directly before, and the answers I’ve gotten essentially are “those two expansions are not meant to be played together”. Again, my guess is these are things they hadn’t noticed, and saying that is the easy way out. But the fact remains that contradictions happen and makes it hard for some to be used with others.

So what have you found doesn’t work together in the same game very well?

• There are some expansions that doesn’t work at all, but that is perhaps a topic for another thread  :mrgreen:

• Interested in this as well.  :?

It may just be my opinion, but I think it is a problem, contradictory rules, what comes with large rule sets (cough Table top RPGs. cough). Historical Board Gaming is probably play testing each expansions with the standard rules without expansions. It is also likely they just cannot remember everything while working on the next expansion.  :roll:

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

@Munck:

There are some expansions that doesn’t work at all, but that is perhaps a topic for another thread  :mrgreen:

Haha that is a fact! There are definitely a few I’m not on board with, but you’re right, probably a different thread!

@Undercover:

Interested in this as well.  :?

It may just be my opinion, but I think it is a problem, contradictory rules, what comes with large rule sets (cough Table top RPGs. cough). Historical Board Gaming is probably play testing each expansions with the standard rules without expansions. It is also likely they just cannot remember everything while working on the next expansion.  :roll:

Totally agree. I think that’s exactly what happened at times. I think the “not meant to be played together” reasoning is just an excuse once the flaw(s) was pointed out in contradiction!

Regardless, they can all be house-ruled to make it work together.

But still curious on what people have found truly doesn’t work together though! Could range from just not meshing well in the same game, to spreading too far out. Again, this isn’t to see what you don’t like necessarily. You may enjoy playing every single expansion, but just not like a couple in the same game.

• Sponsor

There is some review of expansion compatibility, but modifications are made. My favorite is Oil Wars which can work with anything. I think many of them you have to chose which rule will take precedence if you are playing multiple expansions. The new East vs West nuclear rules will supersede those previously published in Nuclear Weapons Marker rules, so you should not play these together.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m