Submarine surprise attack question

• As I search the forum to answer my questions to avoid repeating a topic , I read that subs can surprise attack �each round�. Is that to be construed that they can surprise attack each round of a given combat? Or merely each combat turn of a global power?

Also when are subs capable of submerging? Anytime mid combat? Or only after casualty removal phase of a combat round?

Thanks in advance.

• Hey, its my first reply for someone else’s topic so bear with me. For your first question the suprise attack, the attacking submarines roll first. They get a hit if they roll 2 or less. Then the defending submarines roll for 2 or less to get a hit. Then it goes to all the other attacking units. If the attack continues, (provided there are still units attacking and defending after the end of step 5) the attacking submarines repeat the process again.

For your second question, you can only submerge submarines before the combat begins. They cannot come into the fight after they have submerged.

I hope this reply has been helpful.

P.S. Most the submarines characteristics are cancelled if a destroyer is present.

• I remember my first attempt to post a helpful reply Topmat. It can be a bit daunting!

Nevertheless please forgive me for making a couple of corrections to your otherwise excellent reply.

Subs defend at 1 as you will know.

Subs get the submerge or fight option at the beginning if each round of combat if there us no enemy destroyer present. They surprise attack every time they do not submerge if there us no enemy destroyer present.

Cheers
    PP

• Thanks for correcting me Private Panic. I did over look the defending value of subs. Also, I didn’t know that a sub got to choose to submerge at he beginning of each round, or that it was a suprise attack every time (without destroyer). I guess you were very helpful for both of us.  :-)

• Thanks to both of you for your help.

• @Private:

Subs get the submerge or fight option at the beginning if each round of combat if there us no enemy destroyer present.

So I’m reading the FAQ and it says “if a submarine submerges to escape combat, when does it resurface? Immediately after the battle. Submerging simply removes subs from combat. Beyond that it has no further effect.”
        That is to say the “battle” is the combat round and not the engagement in its entirety?
    I ask because in the submarine unit profile it states “when a submarine submerges it is immediately removed from the battle strip and returned to the contested sea zone.”  I have previously been playing that they are now no longer in this engagement in its entirety, and I don’t want to be playing it wrong.

• Hi RKKA

Under the Sub unit profile (p27 of my rule book) it says a sub has the option to submerge at “anytime it would otherwise make a surprise strike”. Of course a surprise strike would be made in each round of combat.

I think it is clear that subs can submerge at any point during the battle. So, for example, if the enemy’s destroyer is sunk in the first round of dice, the sub has the option of submerging from the second round of dice.

It is less clear from my re-reading of the rules, however, whether a sub, once it has submerged, can reverse that decision at the commencement of any subsequent round of the combat. The FAQ does say that the sub resurfaces “immediately after the battle”. However, if you look at the general combat sequence Step 6 Press Attack or Retreat (p17 of my rule book) it says that you repeat steps 2 through 5 in each combat round. The submerge question is part of step 2 which is repeated in each round. I believe the FAQ is misleading!

The other option is that I am wrong! It would not be the first time! :roll: I will PM P@nther, our Rules Deputy, seeking for you the assurance of his knowledge.

• A Sub cannot resurface to fight in a later Round of combat, once it has submerged. It remains submerged, until after the battle (as you have quoted, PP).

• A battle consists of at least one round of combat, often more …

In case the submarine is still part of the battle, it can decide to submerge at the time it would otherwise make a surprise strike - in every round of combat.

Once the decision to submerge is made, the submarine leaves the battle (is removed from the battle board and placed back on the game board).

So steps 2 to 5 of the combat sequence don’t affect the submerged submarine any longer. That is why the decision to submerge is final.

After the battle is resolved, the submerged submarine resurfaces.

HTH :-)

• Thanks P@nther and wittmann. It is amzing how sure you are of the rules for this game until you have to explain them!!! :x

• Wait? This means I might actually be playing and interpreting a rule CORRECTLY???

I’m sorry, this is a foreign experience….

Ok. Back from cloud 9.

Thank you guys all for assisting me in grasping this.
    I’ll be back im sure with more questions.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m