• My friend and I have a few people that might be interested in playing A&A with us. They are pretty big nerds, but haven’t played anything as complex as A&A. What is the best faction to let them play? First and foremost, we want them to have fun, even if they lose. Ease of play should probably be considered, if there is an easiest faction. Obviously teammate pairing can’t be considered, since this is a survey. Just consider the basics to each faction and vote based on that. Of coarse any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• It’s a lot harder to say which nation is easiest in AAG40, since all the nations are more complex and have more options and things to react to than in previous versions.  I’d say the Axis in general is a bit harder, because they need to have a plan right from the start and be prepared to adapt it to whatever the Allies are doing.  So that would rule out Germany and Japan.  Italy isn’t on your list, but I’d say that it has a fair shot at being the easiest power just because it’s smaller, relative to the other nations, so it doesn’t have to worry as much about different options and such.  The UK is also a bit complicated, with the split income and units all over the map and having to deal with such possibilities as Taranto and Sea Lion.  The USA and USSR have the advantage of being able to watch for a few rounds without having to make too many important decisions, though that can make them a bit boring at the start as well.  Countering Barbarossa can be intimidating, though, especially if Japan jumps in, so I’d go with the USA.  It’s not too difficult to reach fleet parity with Japan and gradually get involved in Europe, especially with the help of Britain/ANZAC.  The USA is also generally connected to the easier minor nations, though that can vary.  Putting a new playing in charge of France, ANZAC, or China could be a good way to keep them from getting to bored if they start as a neutral nation.

• '10

I think that this poll has been done before. I voted for Japan as they can run amock for as many as three turns before starting to feel any pressure. The U.S. is mostly pressure free for three turns but kind of boring for new players because you do not get to attack anybody. Of course I am using AAG1940 as a basis for my comments.

• I never considered having a new player play as the minor factions, partly because we’ve never had enough players, but I added them to the survey. For someone just starting out I could see how a smaller faction would be a lot more fun if only because they are less stressful to play.

• USA is the simplest and most fun because it has all the money.  You can make quite a mess of it and still enjoy invading Europe more or less successfully.

• '10

Well, if your buddies have never played AA before, you’d be much much better playing a game of AA 1942 with them. Then, if they like it, you switch to G40. Just my 2 cents.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

The UK.

There’s LOTs to do,  you can plan or play anyway you like,  and you’ll learn the most quickly…

• @Axisplaya:

Well, if your buddies have never played AA before, you’d be much much better playing a game of AA 1942 with them. Then, if they like it, you switch to G40. Just my 2 cents.

Good point!

• I choose Japan because they get a few rounds to play around and then the US death fleet arrives.  I also think ANZAC might be a good starter nation because it has small ipcs, limited objective and lots of help from US to call on.

China would be soooo boring,  I would not let someone play China or France.

• Of the smaller nations, the only one I’d be comfortable letting someone play independently is Italy.  China and France are way too small, and ANZAC goes with Britain.  Plus, if one of those nations is being played it’s probably a 3v3 or larger game and I prefer even teams.

• Sponsor

Italy has all the elements of the rules without getting overwelmed with game breaking responsibilities. They also get to see the entire first round before their turn which is also a good learning curve. My next suggestion would be the US, however, they will need to be savy buyers with only minor ICs to start the game, and greater responsibilities in multiple theaters. The US must also stratagize more with greater board coverage to be aware of as well as managing the needs of their team mates. The US also plays China , however, China plays by bizarre rules that could confuse a newbe and they should be informed that every power has its own rules to follow, especially China. Russia/France requires an experienced player to defend wisely or the game could end early. Also, newbes would’t gain any Naval or air unit experience playing Russia, where playing Italy or UK/ANZAC would allow them to use bases. Remember the rules state how Multi player games should be divided, some think that they can divide the powers and # of players for each side, any way they like, but the configurations in the book are not optional. It’s not good to give players only ANZAC, China, or France. Even if you gave a newbe all 3 to play, it still wouldn’t be a good way to learn the game IMO. Not sure who thinks it would be a good idea to give a beginner Japan, but that’s a bad idea. The only axis power that should be given to newbes is Italy, than the US, UK, and than The Soviet Union (in that order). If there is only one experienced player in the group, that person should play the axis powers and take on everyone else as the allies ( as a house rule configuration).

France requires an experienced player to defend wisely or the game could end early

LOL What?

• '10

:lol: :lol: :lol:

• @Gargantua:

France requires an experienced player to defend wisely or the game could end early

LOL What?

They said Russia/France.  Not just France.

Ok Yes they did, and I did read that.

But still, WTH,  France???

Why not just write Russia?

• @Gargantua:

Ok Yes they did, and I did read that.

But still, WTH,  France???

Why not just write Russia?

I’d assume it’s because the way he/she plays Russia and France are controlled by the same player.

• Sponsor

@Gargantua:

LOL What?

Nice edit job, I’m surprised this stuff dosen’t happen more often (hilarious). According to the rules Russia/France are a package deal in a 6 player game, kinda like the way I bundled UK/ANZAC, and US/China in the same post. I can’t wait to selectively snip a quote from you gargantua, however, I don’t quite have a grasp of the conspiritor’s mind the way you do.

Instead of being a smart a**, can you tell me what you thought about the rest of my post? …… Wait … I have predicted your answer, “it sucked”. Aahhh fame.

• I would think the US, the IPC collection is so massive, and the distance so far, that the US probably will not lose its territories.  The biggest issue being all of the weight placed on the US players shoulders because of the mentioned industrial might.  As well as fighting a conflict in both the Atlantic and Pacific

I would go either US or Italy.  I almost said the Soviet Union, however I am not sure how much fun a defensive game would be for new comers.

Some of us like to blitz and push the enemy back. lol

• To respond to grasshopper and others.  Lets say you’ve got many players, but only 1 of them is a newb.  Which would be the best nation then?  I think if you have more than 4 players, that they should be on the allies side.  There’s only 3 axis nations, if you screw up one you might doom the whole side.  On that issue, I think handing a Newb the US is similar to throwing in the towel.  US and RUS are the two most important allies.  One stalls for as long as possible and the other brings the haymaker.  So we’ve narrowed it down to UK/ANZAC.  Giving the newb UK might be a bit confusing, playing a nation with 2 capitals and board specific rules…that leaves us with ANZAC.

ANZAC is actually perfect for new gamers.  Its shunted off to the side of the board, in its own theatre, which while minor will give the player some opportunities to try other aspects of the game. (amphibs, fleet battles, convoy and naval bases)  ANZAC is close to support, so if they make mistakes US can come and rescue them, and if the newb really screws up, it doesn’t mean the end of the game like putting them in charge of RUS or US might do.

Don’t you find that that player gets bored?  JUST playing Anzac?  Maybe give them France too! :D

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m