• @JimmyHat:

I would have to agree that this is a bad mission for the European Brits.  By spending all your first turn income in Africa, you are begging the German player to take your capital G3 because he can build 10 trns G2.  Sadly this means you will only get 1 round of production out of Egypt, and Italy will eventually crowbar you out of Egypt because you have no reinforcements.  As Germany, if a factory goes down in Egypt UK1 you would want to capture London fast to help your ally in Africa.

if egypt ever falls in this game, (churchill quote) “there’ll be shooting of generals”
    the italians can never take egypt without severe allied fault

• The best first round purchases for Germany always seem to involve a carrier. If Germany builds a carrier and say 4 infantry, indicating he is definately going barbarosa, and Germany sees you build this, he should imediately start calculating how many transports to build (my guess is as few as 7 more to give you 8 total could do the job) and planning to hit London on G3, with nothing going into London on B1 Germany should be able to tear up London on G3 without much problem.

As Britain the first thing I would do is make sure London isnt going to fall, then after G2 and no transport builds by Germany I’ll start worrying about the Med and Italy.

Britain is going to have 3 inf and 3 ftr + 1 fr inf 1 fr fit, + maybe a fighter from Normandy add in 10 infantry built on turn 2 and your talking about 14 infantry and 5 fighters at best defending.  If germany hits with 8 tanks 8 infantry and 7 aircraft (I’m assuming some losses to the British fleet and AA), Britain is going to fall.

I think Britain needs 9 infantry and the fighters from malta and gibralter to be safe. Protect London first then go after the Med.

• but, like i said before, would germany really try a sealion and bring america into the game 1-2 rounds early??? and also, if UK has good luck round 1, it could send fleet into the north sea in rounds 2 and 3, maybe 1 or 2 ships per turn.

• Well what would you do as Germany?  IF you see a UK IC go down UK1, would you switch to an invasion of UK or continue to produce for a war against Russia?  The only time I could see UK building that IC in Egypt is if Germany didn’t build any trns G1 or you could take London on G2, but you do have 70ipcs to spend.  Would you purchase the 10 trns to go with the troops you already have and take and hold London on G3?  England cannot stop the invasion because they missed a round of production.  This is a no-brainer and I think the allies are handing the game to the Axis in this scenario.  Even if Italy got its nose bloodied in Africa that means England will have even less aircraft defending them.  Italy in this case should rebuild the fleet and prepare to dominate Egypt in a few rounds.

• ok so pretty much the consensus is to wait a round or two before doing this???

• Never let Germany sealion on the cheap G2 . If they build 2TT and a carrier G1 protect London.  If they don’t I always build an IC in egypt UK1 .  I have never seen Germany win in global not attackig Russia G3 .

• ok, so based on germany’s first buy, i should wait on this strategy, or do part of it right away.

• @Jay:

Never let Germany sealion on the cheap G2 . If they build 2TT and a carrier G1 protect London.  If they don’t I always build an IC in egypt UK1 .  I have never seen Germany win in global not attackig Russia G3 .

I have never seen Germany waiting til after turn 3.

• My question follows:
    In Alpha +2, if Germany play “as expected”, meaning that they threaten the sea lion (by having a few barges, ect…) but are actually going more towards invading Russia.  How do you manage to keep the Italians off Egypt?

I know that might sound strange, but in all my games, the damn pizza-eating bastards take it…

• I’ve won before without a declaration of war against Russia in G3.  Then G4 you declare just to kill Russian shipping and take their NO away while your army redeploys from London to Germany.

• @captainhook:

My question follows:
    In Alpha +2, if Germany play “as expected”, meaning that they threaten the sea lion (by having a few barges, ect…) but are actually going more towards invading Russia.  How do you manage to keep the Italians off Egypt?

I know that might sound strange, but in all my games, the damn pizza-eating bastards take it…

leftovers from taranto and indian fighters should be enough.

• @Frontovik:

@captainhook:

My question follows:

The fighters you need to keep off Japan?

• Building an IC in Egypt is a bad idea.

• @Xandax:

@Frontovik:

@captainhook:

My question follows:

The fighters you need to keep off Japan?

what japanese force? and btw, 2 figs more or less won’t matter i think
    but true fact, it gives japan a bit easier job
    but it stops italy dead in its tracks
    and in my case, the game has seldom been won by axis on pacific board.

• @thatonekid:

but, like i said before, would germany really try a sealion and bring america into the game 1-2 rounds early???

Absolutely.

Bringing the US in early in this manner brings them in to the Atlantic full force, freeing up Japan.  Plus you’ve taken out the UK from producing anything in Europe until the US can (hopefully) come and liberate London.  If you’ve done it cheaply (by the UK NOT building a london defense) that means that you have probably got more german units sitting in London that the US can handle in one round as well.

Then, Italy can concentrate on taking out Egypt all on it’s own…

• Customizer

@Commando:

Building an IC in Egypt is a bad idea.

I agree.  The UK building an IC in Egypt is pretty much a gift to the Italians.  In the games I have played, Italy just about always gets Egypt, usually round 1 or 2.  The Italian navy is too strong for what British navy is in the Med and with 3 transports full of troops and equipment, the Italians almost always over run the Brits and Aussies on Egypt.  As for the Taranto raid, it never happens in my games.  With the Germans sending a couple of planes to S. Italy, it is suicide for the British to attack SZ 95 or 97.

• @knp7765:

@Commando:

Building an IC in Egypt is a bad idea.

I agree.  The UK building an IC in Egypt is pretty much a gift to the Italians.  In the games I have played, Italy just about always gets Egypt, usually round 1 or 2.  The Italian navy is too strong for what British navy is in the Med and with 3 transports full of troops and equipment, the Italians almost always over run the Brits and Aussies on Egypt.  As for the Taranto raid, it never happens in my games.  With the Germans sending a couple of planes to S. Italy, it is suicide for the British to attack SZ 95 or 97.

2 transports at taranto can easily be taken out, so no egypt for italy…

• Yes, you can take out the 2 Italian transports but at what cost? If you do that, the Brit navy is toast by the Germany airforce and if anything is left over, the Italians finish them off, then rebuild their transports(cheap), get 5 NO’s for no Allied navy in the med, can take N. Africa(another 5 NO’s) and take Gib(denied Allied access to the med). I’ve always put the Brit fleet in SZ92, away from the German airforce, 3 spaces away from SZ109 and SZ110 and the Italians don’t have enough firepower to take them out if you put 3 FTR’s in Gib, plus another 2 FTR’s or 1 FTR, 1 Tac on the AC. Much better option, IMHO. I’d rather lose Egypt than the Med, N. Africa & Gib. I always retreat from Egy if I need to. Kill the Italians in Eth, build in Saf because usually the Germany player doesn’t go for Sea Lion once you build enough stuff in the UK and you usually have enough IPC’s to build a few units down in Saf. By the time the Italians take Egy and every thing else they need, the US is the in war, takes Gib and Mor back Turn 4 and makes things very sticky for the Italians the rest of the game. And the Brits would have held most of Africa from the Italians. And the Italians can’t really do much w/Russia by then, so it’s game over for the Axis. I believe the better Italian strategy is, take N. Africa, forget about Egy, unless it’s really easy to take, try and take out the Brit navy in the Med if possible but go hard for Russia, by going through Syr, Irq and Npr in the south. And helping the Germans through Rom.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@captainhook:

My question follows:

Ignore Germany, defend Egypt!  If England falls, WHO CARES???  Seriously, the Germans still can’t win if England falls, England’s going to fall anyway and you may as well make life has hellish for the Italians as possible anyway, since they are the deciding factor on whether or not Russia is defeated before America’s invading West Germany.

• I think you can defend Egypt AND prevent Sea Lion if you play your cards right. Or, at the very least, make things difficult in Egypt/Med for the Italians, until the US comes into the war and takes Gib, if it was taken and Mor/N. Africa. Then, it’s really bad for the Italians.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m