• new NAs
    Russia:
    #5Siberian reinforcements: every turn place 1 free infantry in Siberian Urals
    Britain:
    #4Australian support: place 1 infantry per turn in the Middle East deployment zone (MEDZ)
    #5German Food blockade: every turn that the British have war ships in the Holland sea north sea and Norwegian sea the Germans lose 1 ipc to a max of 20 every turn at least one of those is unoccupied by British ships the Germans gain 1 ipc back to a max of 20
    Turkey:
    #3Russian blockade: every turn the bosphous is cloed to the allies the Russians lose 1 ipc to a max of 10 every turn its open the Russian gain 1 back.
    France
    #3Lafayette Escadrille: at the end of the first round you may place 1 free fighter in paris.

• more NAs yeah! + map update

britain
    #6British ship yards: British ships have discounts 1 for Tps and DDs 2 for CAs and 3 for BBs

half of ww 1 map.JPG
    other half of ww1 map.JPG

• Final Map update im serious this time no more. also some more NAs
    Ottomans
    #4German officers: for every German infantry unit present in a territory with ottoman units it may boast the attack or defence of 1 conscript to a 2
    #5Joint operations: twice per game on the Ottoman players turn he may skip his conduct combat and combat move phases so then on the German players turn he can use both Ottoman and German units to attack

half of ww 1 map.JPG

• Rule Update
    Austrian NAs
    #4German Leadership: When German and Austrian troops fight together each German infantry may support an Austrian 1 adding 1 attack and defence
    #5Hungarian Shock troops: Austria may now buy Assault infantry (Limit 2)

Ottoman NAs
    #6Early Victories: if Germany and Austria can take 8 territories turn 1 then the ottomans my declare war that turn

Setup Change
    For Austria add
    2 infantry, 1 artillery, 1 industry, 1 AA gun to Vienna
    2 infantry, 1 artillery, 1AA gun to Budapest

For France add
    2 infantry to East france

For italy add
    1 infantry in rome
    1 infantry to northeast italy

For Germany add
    1cruiser to the danish sea
    1 cruiser to the central mediteranian
    take 1 destroyer form the danish sea

• sorry people posted the wrong map in the update :-o this is the actual map

Added 1 austrian NA
    #6Surprise Strike: on turn 1 all Austrian units in the first round of combat fire pre-emotively

pelase tell me if any one is still interested with this if no one is ill stop updating.

half of ww 1 map.JPG

• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

I am actually quite interested in where the rules lead to. Plus, I encourage any variant building since they often turn out fun and, even if it doesn’t work, can lead to many new good ideas. Please keep posting on this project!

• Thanks, since schools over I’ll probally be able to print the map and start play testing soon and seriously if you have any NA ideas for France Italy or Russia it would be appreciated and you will get reconization in the rule book.

• first page is updated for rules, and i just clarified some teritory names on the board and the planned map size is
    112 by 64 cm the reason its so big is there a lot of small but important territories.

half of ww 1 map.JPG

I don’t think that’s an unreasonable map size at all. Let’s see, that’s about 25.5" X 44". You could go bigger than that and still be okay. I would say keep the width to around 30-36" (~76-90cm).

• Nice work i rock! I like to see what people do with game design. However, I do have two minor quibbles with your map that you might consider changing for historical continuity.

1. Iceland is one word not two (not Ice Land)
    2. Vichy France did not exist until the fall of France in 1940. You may want to name that territory Southern France or possibly Marseilles?

Just a couple thoughts, but please keep up the good work!

• Hmm I didn’t know icelands 1 word well at least that’s better then it’s original name I had island! Anyone have NA suggestions? I ran out of ideas and I still need 3 for France 4 for Italy and 1 fir Russia and Austria.

For France:

“American Pilots”: America trained pilots to fly for france before they entered the war officially. France may purchase 1 fighter per turn at a cost of 3 instead of 7 until the US enters the war on turn 10.

• That sounds good but might have to modify it a bit because 3 ipc planes is a tad OP.

• Here’s another thought: number the sea zones and only bother finding a name for the ones that form discreet seas (e.g., Black, Aegean, Adriatic, etc.)  It could allow you to de-clutter the map from much of the writing and you could avoid having to coming up with names for a dozen different non-descript Atlantic zones or coming up with absurd ones like “the Celtic Sea.”

For Southern France, here’s a few ideas off the top of my head for names: Gascony, Marseille, Toulouse, Provence, Langue d’Oc, Aquitaine… (a few might warrant slight boundary changes, but I’m just throwing out ideas here…)

• More thoughts:

1. “Selisia” is usually spelled “Silesia” (at least in English; idk what the proper German & Polish spellings are…)

2. Rename “Czechoslovakia” Bohemia.  The former was a word invented after WW1 to refer to a combination of (Czech) Bohemia/ Moravia and the Slovakian regions of the former Hungary, which are not really a part of the region that you named Czechoslovakia (for the most part; you might consider redrawing the territory slightly to reflect the actual boundary of the Kingdom of Hungary, unless you have a specfic game-balance region for your boundary.)

• Oh my god good thing this isn’t printed I forgot to give Austria and the ottoman empire naval ports!!!

• Hmm, the more I look at the map, the more I think that eastern Germany and Austria-Hungary need redrawn.

1. Their boundaries look oddly mis-shapen: they need some smoothing out.  Remember, these aren’t the jagged battle-lines of a mid-war situation, but boundaries that had mostly existed since 1815 here.

2. Also, Vienna and Budapest should have a more circular shape (especially Budapest: I’m guessing you just created a random territory to divide Hungary, but it looks almost like you were trying to draw a circle and messed up.  With so many less-important cities getting circles, you might as well give Budapest a circle, too.)

3. If you need another division for Hungary, divide off Galicia, which is basically the slice of Poland that was awarded to Austria in the partitions.

4. Rename “Western Romania” Transylvania, which was its actual territory name at the time.  The modern Kingdom of Romania had never possessed it up to this point, and its population, while majority Romanian-speaking, was probably at least 30-40% Hungarian, with a significant German minority.  Naming it as you did could be seen as taking a political stance that it “ought to have been” part of Romania, which amounts to taking sides in an old Hungarian-Romanian rivalry.

5. You could also consider dividing Romania into its two principle components, Wallachia and Moldavia to make it more than a 1-province country.

• Romania really ought to be a separate country, perhaps divided into two parts (Wallachia and Moldavia as I mentioned above) but it definitely ought to be a separate country, not a region of Russia.  Bessarabia should be the region just north of Moldavia (or the northern arm of Romania) under Russian control, not a random chunk of Poland.  The entry of Romania into the war on the allied side was a significant (regional) event in the war and it is the counter-weight to the German-allied Bulgaria in this period.

• I just looked back through the thread to make sure my comments weren’t redundant (I know, should have earlier…)  Take a good, hard look at the map image FMG posted and see if you can use it to clean up some of those eastern boundaries: I think that would make all the difference in improving it.  Contrary to popular belief, the boundaries of most of eastern Europe had been fairly stable for about a century before the war, so using the fluid 1942 boundaries as a foundation are hurting you here.  In fact, when it comes to “sovereign” boundaries, the only changes to the map were really products of the decline of the Ottoman Empire, the “Sick Man of Europe” as it was called in the 19th Century: Romania, Bulgaria, Greece, and Serbia had all been carved out of Ottoman domains, and even the Austrian occupation (and eventual annexation) of Bosnia were more-or-less a result of the power vacuum created by the Ottoman decline.  So the Germany-Austria-Hungary-Russia boundary should be fairly set.

Also, Italy should be smaller.  Austria’s big naval base was Trieste… which would eventually become a part of Italy.

• So should I give north east Italy to Austria? About your other comments… well with paint its hard to make big changes to the map (tonnes of effort) but I’ll try. So don’t expect much.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m