• Just wondering who everybody thinks made the best A@A games and who gave the greatest service to A&A?

The contenders:

Milton Bradley

Created the first A&A

Avalon Hill

Gave us Paper IPCS to the end
    Gave us the Destroyer and Artilery
    Gave us more than 5 A&A games
    Arguebaly made the best war games in the world

Wizards of the coast

Cut costs by removing: Paper Ipc’s and set up cards

Obviously I’m impartial but If you don’t vote Avalon Hill you will be excommunicated

• WOtC made the excellent Global Game with high-quality sculpts, a great map, and excellent gameplay. Lack of ipcs is trivial since I have some from previous games. AAG40 is better than all 5 of the AH games combined. WOtC created the Cruiser, tactical bomber, and mechanized inf.

BTW, there are setup cards on the top of the box, which is actually very convenient.

• AH/Wizards of the Coast are the same thing. Avalon Hill never produced any A&A games until they were acquired by the Hasbro corporation, which owns WotC.

That being said, the newest games are amazing quality. Compare them to the 1984 MB edition, and they are on different planets.

• 4 votes down and it is a close race so far, man.

• @Razor:

4 votes down and it is a close race so far, man.

Just wanted to say hello to my alter ego. It’s been awhile butt I’ve been busy

• What happened to Foxy?

• @Imperious:

What happened to Foxy?

Forgot about that one. LMAO !

• @Imperious:

What happened to Foxy?

You banned him, remember

• You banned him, remember.

No No. I didn’t do that. I think you retired her after karma got deep sixed.

• '10

You have to admit that AH/WOTC have given us more AAA games in a shorter span of time than the other companies.

• MB easily. ON average this game had the best playtesting and was very replayable. It was balanced ( well for the most part) and had the best looking map and player aids.

It was quality and had no typos or missing parts. It created the franchise of AA as we know it. Just this one game.

The only issue was the commander rule that was changed anyway.

• @Imperious:

MB easily. ON average this game had the best playtesting and was very replayable. It was balanced ( well for the most part) and had the best looking map and player aids.

It was quality and had no typos or missing parts. It created the franchise of AA as we know it. Just this one game.

The only issue was the commander rule that was changed anyway.

Was that the one that created Classic?

• Classic was broken completely.

And the components were ok, no nation specific pieces at all. (And less variety as well)

• And the best looking map? I think IL is being sarcastic

• Best looking for 1984.

Look at the AAR map. Terrible.

Of course the newer maps look best but much more work went into MB AA. That map was drawn by hand by the artist who created the box art. He was a true master.

And of course in 1984 the pieces were way beyond anything before it. And the game had enough of them. The tokens were thick and the trays were nice.

You have to appreciate the thing for what it is in its own time. Look how far ahead that game projected its vision of what is possible. Thats a sign of a great game. It alone inspired so many other games.

MB AA never needed any setup changes, but a bid only and nobody could lose with some gimmick attack on turn X. It lasted 20 years and established the franchise.

Besides a bid how was it broken?

• @Imperious:

Best looking for 1984.

Look at the AAR map. Terrible.

Of course the newer maps look best but much more work went into MB AA. That map was drawn by hand by the artist who created the box art. He was a true master.

And of course in 1984 the pieces were way beyond anything before it. And the game had enough of them. The tokens were thick and the trays were nice.

You have to appreciate the thing for what it is in its own time. Look how far ahead that game projected its vision of what is possible. Thats a sign of a great game. It alone inspired so many other games.

MB AA never needed any setup changes, but a bid only and nobody could lose with some gimmick attack on turn X. It lasted 20 years and established the franchise.

Besides a bid how was it broken?

Because a 20+ ipc bid was needed. By your logic, P40 isn’t broken except for a 30+ bid

• '10

(Ah… memories…  I do remember that game fondly.  How many hours and weekends I spent as a teenager playing.)

Good point IL, I remember there was always enough pieces.  I never remember getting a game and feeling like they cheaped out.  It was also built to last.

• Because a 20+ ipc bid was needed.

I never once in perhaps hundreds of games never gave or got more than 8 IPC in a bid.

I don’t see how the axis need like 7 more infantry. If they got 6 in EE at start i don’t see what Russia does except leave Karelia. If Germany hits with everything they can win that.

Usually its a tank in Lybia or 2 men or one extra Japanese infantry in China and one in Russia.

At least the game didn’t need people to design a new setup. You just added infantry.

AAE is definatly broken, AAP40 the same, AAP is the most balanced game, but not the best quality IMO

AAR had the cheap thin cardboard, AA42 micro map, AA50 is really nice.

Yea perhaps AA50 was the best quality, but that was $80 bucks, MB AA was like $25-30 in 1984 dollars, perhaps its close.

• @Imperious:

Because a 20+ ipc bid was needed.

I never once in perhaps hundreds of games never gave or got more than 8 IPC in a bid.

I don’t see how the axis need like 7 more infantry. If they got 6 in EE at start i don’t see what Russia does except leave Karelia. If Germany hits with everything they can win that.

Usually its a tank in Lybia or 2 men or one extra Japanese infantry in China and one in Russia.

At least the game didn’t need people to design a new setup. You just added infantry.

AAE is definatly broken, AAP40 the same, AAP is the most balanced game, but not the best quality IMO

AAR had the cheap thin cardboard, AA42 micro map, AA50 is really nice.

Yea perhaps AA50 was the best quality, but that was $80 bucks, MB AA was like $25-30 in 1984 dollars, perhaps its close.

I think you’re refuted by more experienced players.

Also, I believe G40 is more balanced than AAP(it required a setup change just like P40)

• '10

@Imperious:

Actually, Classic was more like 40-50 bucks in the 80’s. I think I paid 44.95 for mine from toys r us in the mid to late 80’s. I still have another copy in shrink wrap that says 39.95. I think I picked this up in the mid 90’s.

IMO, currently, I think AA50 is the best of the lot. Although I have not played much global it looks like it may be too big and almost impossible to play f2f in one sitting. Plus, adding territories does not necessarily make something better. Imagine how interminable Risk would have been if it had 84 instead of 42 territories. I guess we’ll see. I also like the original Pacific. 7-9 turns and you were done. I miss my marines.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m