• '22 '19 '18

Russia has 18 inf stationed on the Pacific side of the board spaced out over 3 territories (6 per) to deter/taut the Japanese player.  If the Russian player gets complacent and doesn’t consolidate all 18 units into Amur, attacking them might be the best strat.  Amur is within range of 4 Inf, 1 mec inf and 1 art from Manchuria plus 1 inf from Korea plus all the airforce from Manchuria, Japan, Okinawa, Kiangsu (not saying to use these planes, cause this force is needed for china attacks), plus whatever you wanted to bring over from Japan on their two transports to combat this Russian force.

By attacking Russia it lets Amur be the buffer zone between the rest of the Russian units and Japan’s valuable Korea/Man, thereby Japan could put troops only in Amur to protect it’s northern flank.
    Also by removing this threat early on Japan won’t have to secure it northern boarder and can focus on India, Anzac, US.
    Other advantages would be that outside of air units Russia can not get an significant offensive pieces to that theater for several rounds, thereby making the possibility of counterattack less likely to succeed. 
    Attacking Russia also puts some attention on Japan and their Eastern boarder which may distract them slightly from the eventual German attack.

On the flip side of this if Japan doesn’t attack Russia, then they have 18 inf sitting on their nothern boarder waiting for the opportunity to strike, which strike will surely come at somepoint in the game.  Attacking Russia does not bring any other nation into war, so Japan can do this without reprisal.

What do others think?

• It sounds good… the only weak part is that it relies on the Russian player to be complacent.  I would imagine that you would get someone once with that but probably not twice.  Other than that it sounds like a pretty good plan for all the points you mentioned.

• Russia moves first and will prolly move all thier inf into one zone. I would have them 1 step from the border until some of the Jap airforce go away and until some of mine arrive. Some ppl might keep them on the border in witch case it might be possible to strike them and kill them all before thet can get any offensive units there to supprt them.

• Customizer

I wonder whether leaving all the russians on the border to be killed by japan might actually be a good idea?  any japanese infantry and aircraft attacking russia, are forces that are not attacking india and china.
    If the battle calc says that japan has to lose a couple air and all but one of their land in order to win vs russia, then I’d do it as russia even if it was still 100% chance of japan winning.

• How many air? I have never seen the Japanease use all their air units in P40. I would wait until i get 2 air units over there and a bunch of Japanease planes have gone south and then strike.

• If I was japan, i’d consider going through the empty territories of Mongolia to get to the Russian territories that do not have any men in them.

• @Piazza2425:

If I was japan, i’d consider going through the empty territories of Mongolia to get to the Russian territories that do not have any men in them.

Not a bad idea, but by invading true neutral Mongolia Spain and other key neutrals become pro-allied and Spain will give the allies a landing pad in Europe, and in my opinion its not worth it.

• @Piazza2425:

If I was japan, i’d consider going through the empty territories of Mongolia to get to the Russian territories that do not have any men in them.

I think that Mongolia is considered a strict neutral, so I think you would be activating all other strict neutrals as pro allies if you invade.

I’m not sure though, maybe their is an exception for Mongolia. I seem to remember (its a little foggy) in a Pac Q & A Krieghund clarifying an attack on a Mongolian tt saying the opposite. Only the tt your attacking is involved, and the others don’t turn. There was even a heated debate over it. Maybe this was over turned (or will be) in favor of the strict neutral rules that were in djensens preview.

• @WILD:

@Piazza2425:

I think that Mongolia is considered a strict neutral, so I think you would be activating all other strict neutrals as pro allies if you invade.

I’m not sure though, maybe their is an exception for Mongolia. I seem to remember (its a little foggy) in a Pac Q & A Krieghund clarifying an attack on a Mongolian tt saying the opposite. Only the tt your attacking is involved, and the others don’t turn. There was even a heated debate over it. Maybe this was over turned (or will be) in favor of the strict neutral rules that were in djensens preview.

I think Mongolia should be considered a Pro-Soviet country in Global, but who knows may be a strict neutral or not.

• I thought of another reason Japan might not want to let the 18 Russian inf hang around. In Pac it was a US strat to try to invade Korea to build a major IC, which was very difficult to do. Now in global you can come in through Russia. The Russians could hang off the coast in Sakha. The US comes over via tpts and land in Amur on US turn. Russia’s turn follows (before Japans), they bring over the 18 inf to protect the US. Jap can’t touch it. Then US moves to Korea, and Russia follows them in (with 18 inf). It would be pretty tough for Jap to attack that stack, especially if they are off trying to crush India. Russia could manages to get a couple ftrs in too. All of a sudden the US fly’s over its own air and builds a major IC. Now US is able to drop 10 ground troops in Asia, or a ready made super fleet. And yea I think Russia would give up its NO for one turn.

• '22 '19 '18

@Bruda_Iz:

It sounds good… the only weak part is that it relies on the Russian player to be complacent.  I would imagine that you would get someone once with that but probably not twice.  Other than that it sounds like a pretty good plan for all the points you mentioned.

I agree if it happens it will only be once, but the big question is how to deal with 18 inf sitting on your boarder?  I think they have to be dealt with in the early rounds of the game, otherwise Russia will just wait until the air force is out of range and attack.  As Japan trying to defend by Manchuria and Korea against 18 inf would take at least 8 or so inf in each territory, and that is something Japan cannot afford to do.  They could also abdandon Korea and beef up Manchuria, to try and stop Russia from getting to the rest of Asia, but then Russia could drop an IC and it would be all over for Japan.

The more I think about it, capturing Amur J1 and defending it will be the best idea for Japan.  Another bonus by holding Amur is that Russia won’t get it IPC bonus for capturing original German territories.

@Piazza2425:

Given the true neutral rules I would be aprehensive about doing that, but the issue is not about taking Soviet territories, it is about securing Japan’s northern flank.

• '10

I think it’s better to keep jap tac bombers, figthers and transports near japan in striking distance/reserve. Meanwhile you can use this forces to support the attack on china.

Don’t fortify Manchuria or Korea or build a factory there. Let the russians come. If they want to.

The german player should decide, when it’s time ro attack russia.

• @WILD:

I thought of another reason Japan might not want to let the 18 Russian inf hang around. In Pac it was a US strat to try to invade Korea to build a major IC, which was very difficult to do. Now in global you can come in through Russia. The Russians could hang off the coast in Sakha. The US comes over via tpts and land in Amur on US turn. Russia’s turn follows (before Japans), they bring over the 18 inf to protect the US. Jap can’t touch it. Then US moves to Korea, and Russia follows them in (with 18 inf). It would be pretty tough for Jap to attack that stack, especially if they are off trying to crush India. Russia could manages to get a couple ftrs in too. All of a sudden the US fly’s over its own air and builds a major IC. Now US is able to drop 10 ground troops in Asia, or a ready made super fleet. And yea I think Russia would give up its NO for one turn.

This is very true. The Americans can even invade Korea directly (sometimes in US2 if the Japanaese are going for India on J3), then the Russian can walk in with 18 inf be4 the jap gets to anything.

• '10

This could be the situation when the Japanese homefleet was sunk.

But as long the Jap fleet controlls Japan and the south-west pacific, this would not happen.

• Well, a US fleet in range of Korea (like in Peral) is now a much bigger threat then it was. If the Japs would ever fail with thier invasion of Phi it might be very problematic (as they then dont have the range to get back to Japan)

• 2 other reasons why you wouldnt want to attack Russia,

1. It will allow them to send units into China, which will be eaiser then sending units to the Amur region and allow the Russians to effect, more directly, Japanese movments towards India.

2. The Russians have a special rule now that lets them pop 2 free infantry each turn they are at war in Novissbrissk(sp?). Which mean that while it will still be difficult for tem to get offensive units out to the far east, they will yhave no short supply of defensive cannon fodder…… I mean Infantry  :-D

• @Clyde85:

2. The Russians have a special rule now that lets them pop 2 free infantry each turn they are at war in Novissbrissk(sp?). Which mean that while it will still be difficult for tem to get offensive units out to the far east, they will yhave no short supply of defensive cannon fodder…… I mean Infantry  :-D

Does that apply in global?

• For the russian declaration of war and the enter of China, this is stupid…the russian can just say…ok im at war with japan and just put some Russian infantry in China without attacking…is this corect?

And for the infantry pop up…apply to global too?..seems so

• Official Q&A

@Napoleon:

For the russian declaration of war and the enter of China, this is stupid…the russian can just say…ok im at war with japan and just put some Russian infantry in China without attacking…is this corect?

Sure, if you want to bring Japan down on you just so you can move some units into China.

@Napoleon:

And for the infantry pop up……apply to global too?..seems so

No.

• @Krieghund:

@Napoleon:

And for the infantry pop up……apply to global too?..seems so

No.

Those 2 infantry are free gifts in the Europe game? So you don’t have to pay 6 IPC for them right?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m