• I think that airplanes should get a “first-strike” advantage - like subs - but only ONCE per battle (as oppose to once per every ROUND of battle). Usually, if something’s being attacked by a plane, they don’t get much chance to return fire!

But I don’t think I’d give them this privilege in naval combat - ships can hold up pretty well vs. planes.

So the land combat sequence would then look like this:

1. Attacking planes fire (defender chooses casualties)
    2. Casualties are removed
    3. Attacker fires all units (including planes)
    4. Defender fires all units (including casualties)
    5. Casualties are removed.
    6. Any number of attacking planes may retreat to any legal territory.
    7. Repeat steps 2-6 until battle is won/lost, or attacker retreats ground forces.

• Oh yeah - AA guns. They’d fire in between Steps 2 and 3. Any planes they hit would get to fire once more (in Step 3) before being removed. (Although, I was thinking if the territory has 2 AA guns, the plane would be removed as soon as it was hit.)

• Sounds like a great idea ,but if you would allow me to make one suggestion. Why not make it that countries can acquire radar stations to also counter this. Real life example, UK in the “Battle of Briton”. Just a suggestion ,but I still think it’s a very good and realistic idea. 8)

• I was thinking that could be a tech to research - replacing “Jet Power” with “Radar” (actually, I have to credit Jen for this idea). Fighters defend at 5; bombers defend at 2; and that “first-strike” deal from airplanes is lost … (also, you can intercept SBRs).

• if you want to go with realism then perhaps the rules should be changed as follows:

1. Attacking fighters fire and assign casualties (defending fighters must be assigned as casualties before any other units)
    2. Defending fighters fire and assign casualties (attacking fighters must be assigned as casualties before any other units)
    3. Remove all casualties
      4)All attacking ground troops fire and the defender assigns casualties
      5)All defending ground troops fire and the attacker assigns casualties
    4. Remove all casualties

Reasoning: Attacking fighters and defending fighters should have the same initial fire advantage. Also, fighter vs. fighter dogfights should be allowed (and made mandatory) even when opposing ground troops are still in the battle.

• and add these too just for giggles:

I dont favor planes getting a free attack… but to create combined arms situation each attacking plane in combat aids the attack of a tank with a +1 attack modifer at a 1/1 basis. consequently, each tank aids the attack of each matching infantry unit with a +1 attack modifier for each unit at a 1/1 basis. Now you wont buy those stupid stacks of infantry and the static infantry push mechanic is dead. You will now buy other crap to win….

In this “advanced system” below basically in ground combat with opposing air forces (both defender and attacker have planes) each plane hit is allocated to enemy planes. When the sky is cleared of planes, then air hits are allocated to ground targets. In fact air rolls are done seperatly from ground unit rolls. Note: The modifiers to land units are applied even if their is air combat.

Interception of Air Units (Counter air)
    During your opponents turn, your fighters may intercept and may fire at moving enemy air units in range of their territory during the combat movement phase. The maximum range of interception is two territories distance from the enemy air units. One round of air interception combat occurs in any territory or sea zone that is within the two space range of the enemy air units. Your Intercepting air units are using their attack values, while the planes from the phasing player are defending. The planes performing the interception must now move back to their original territory. Following interception combat, the active player planes are simply moved to conduct their originally intended attack… No air interception can take place during returning air movement, non-combat movement or during air base changes.

Air Interdiction of Ground Units
    Each Bomber can attempt to stop the movement of enemy units out of a given territory. The Bomber is placed into the space until the following turn when it can then be used for further missions. For each Armor class unit that attempts to move into or leave the space is subject to a roll of one D12. A roll of 1 and the unit is destroyed. A roll of 2-3 and the unit may not leave the space that turn. Air units that move across the airspace of territories with enemy Artillery units can be fired at by anti- aircraft rolls. This roll is done just prior to when the plane leaves the space.

Close Combat Ground Support
    The use of planes to support ground attacks is a basic use of airpower. Each Fighter or Dive-bomber can aid each armor class two unit with a +1 attack modifier at a 1/1 basis. Defending ground units can call on DAS if they have fighters in range.

Defensive Air Support
    During Ground Combat Resolution, defending fighters may move to an adjacent territory and participate in the defense of friendly ground units being attacked. Movement of these units takes one full combat round before they can be used. (Example: On round one, the defending player announces that he will dispatch fighters and on round two they are used in combat). All air units then fight combat rounds concurrent but separate to the current ground combat rounds. Aircraft called up for DAS missions are not committed to fight a minimum number of combat rounds. For example: defensive Air Support was called in on combat round one and ready to fight on round two, but the defender rolled very poorly on his first round and decided to call off DAS and not risk losing his planes. At the end of ground combat resolution, surviving Defensive Air Support (DAS) units must return to their original territory, if possible. All hits and loses from air combat are taken from those participating air units until 1) only one side has planes, 2) one side retreats their planes, or 3) one side retreats his ground units thus ending combat. Note: planes that “retreat” do not get a free parting shot from enemy planes. If one side has planes left over the hits can be applied to ground units for the duration of combat rounds. On their own turn they can still move into new combat missions, but they cannot perform multiple defensive air functions such as DAS and coastal defense. Only one action can be done on their turn, and one action delegated in a defensive action during another players turn.

Hope this helps somebody-

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m